• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where Do I Get Stuff?

redfox

Pontormo, D'artagnan makes a delicious Spanish-style chorizo that I love. You can order their products online. Also, parts of their lines are carried at Whole Foods and Dean and Deluca last I checked, so I'd call both places.

Not cheap, but good.

Still haven't checked out D & D, but WF definitely doesn't carry it.

I was there yesterday, and a customer told me there's a small Spanish store in Betheseda close to the Barnes & Noble and the Mercedes dealership that carries the real thing.

Anyone been there & know the name of the place?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Pontormo,

I am not familiar with the store you mentioned but Balducci's carries Despana brand chorizo. I just bought a some the other day at the McLean location so perhaps the other stores have it in stock as well.

Good luck!

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Heather, thanks so much for all the details. I called. They have a brand whose name I recognized at $4.95 apiece. Open until 7 PM Fridays. Saturdays 9:30 until 6:30 PM.

Natashia, thanks, too! I enjoy visiting new places, but Balducci's is even more convenient for me, so I will keep that in mind as I make my way through more of Andres's Tapas.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

I went yesterday :biggrin: !! I could not BElieve what I've been missing :shock: !

I'd write a longer paen to the place were it not time to run to the farmer's market. However, I also bought serrano ham, a bottle of Spanish EVOO for a decent price, Cabrales. I showed the latter to my favorite cheesemonger at WF who was impressed; he stopped trying to carry the stuff since his distributor always gave him over-ripe cheeses.

The two men behind the counter said they've been there for twenty years. Friendly, helpful, proud of their Spanish culinary traditions...and very knowledgeable. Tiny little place, virtually obscured behind two large trucks and the bustle of the crab house next door.

If you've never been there, go!!!

P.S. The chorizo is the one Spanish brand imported to this country accoriding to the Tapas cooking thread. No preservatives. I got Hot. The other choice is Not hot.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

• 1 month later...
Has anyone seen White Lily flour?  I found Swan's Down and another brand in a red box at Wegmans, but no White Lily. 

-L

Yes, I've noticed that Safeway carries it, though maybe not all locations. Washington, D.C. may not have outstanding BBQ as noted in a different regional forum, but stores do nod to some of its ties to Southern culture, including collards, pig's feet and White Lily flour.

"Can someone tell me where I can buy saddle of lamb, somewhere not too far from Silver Spring? I've tried Whole Foods and they don't have it"

Have you asked the butcher at your regular grocery store? I've found that most stores -- even stores that are part of a large chain -- are willing to do special orders as long as you give them enough advance notice.

Indy 67

Has anyone seen White Lily flour?  I found Swan's Down and another brand in a red box at Wegmans, but no White Lily. 

-L

Harris Teeter at Pentagon City carries White Lily Flour.

Since the supermarket chain began in North Carolina with stores expanding to South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida, it carries a wealth of supplies for making cornbread, biscuits and other Southern baked goods, including brands of meals and flours I've never seen before.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

Since the supermarket chain began in North Carolina with stores expanding to South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida, it carries a wealth of supplies for making cornbread, biscuits and other Southern baked goods, including brands of meals and flours I've never seen before.

Score at the Harris Teeter on Duke Street!!!!! Thanks so much for the tip - they have lots of things that I have been wishing I could find. I just never went in because it's out of the way for me, but now I know it's definitely worth the trip!

Maybe someday we'll get a Harris Teeter in Silver Spring. They carry stuff I can't get anywhere else, and not just Southern products.

We spent last weekend in Charlotte and I couldn't resist on a trip to the grocery store with my mom - we brought home 5 lbs. of White Lily, Mister Mustard, and a large Duke's Mayo. No Cheerwine though. :laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for gunpowder/pearl green tea in a large quantity. I make a lot of it and even drink it iced (blasphemy to some, but very refreshing, and a little caffeine does wonders for my personality :raz: ). I had been buying it at Grand Mart. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the brand is because the descriptions are in Chinese and the English translation reads, rather cryptically, "China Green Tea." It is in a green tin, and each little shiny ball unfurls into a perfect little tea leaf in the pot. And now they don't have it anymore!!! I'm considering heading to the last store in Chinatown (the one with the herbal medicine), but I am not terribly optimistic. Does anyone know of a good tea vendor?

I'm looking for gunpowder/pearl green tea in a large quantity.  I make a lot of it and even drink it iced (blasphemy to some, but very refreshing, and a little caffeine does wonders for my personality :raz: ).  I had been buying it at Grand Mart.  Unfortunately, I have no idea what the brand is because the descriptions are in Chinese and the English translation reads, rather cryptically, "China Green Tea."  It is in a green tin, and each little shiny ball unfurls into a perfect little tea leaf in the pot.  And now they don't have it anymore!!!  I'm considering heading to the last store in Chinatown (the one with the herbal medicine), but I am not terribly optimistic.  Does anyone know of a good tea vendor?

Upton tea is excellent and online.

• 8 months later...
Anyone know where to find natural casings for sausage - ??

Union Meats in Eastern Market has them. If you haven't a recipe in mind, you might consider getting the "country ribs", which aren't really ribs at all, for your meat.

If you find lamb casings, let me know.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Union Meats in Eastern Market has them. If you haven't a recipe in mind, you might consider getting the "country ribs", which aren't really ribs at all, for your meat.

Will do on the lamb casings - help me out though - 'country ribs' first time hearing that...

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

Will do on the lamb casings - help me out though - 'country ribs' first time hearing that...

I googled "country ribs" and it seems to be a pretty flexible term, but these look vaguely like what they sell. I'm pretty sure they're not actually ribs at all.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.