• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where Do I Get Stuff?

redfox

Thank you for your replies, Robin.

On one of those rare unsteamy Saturdays this summer, I intend to visit your highly praised market. I am definitely curious.

Cibola participates in the Dupont Circle Market, too. I admire what they do, but confess I was looking for something less expensive.

The borage sounds promising. Since I understand it is sometimes recommended as a plant to grow next to tomatoes, I hope I will be able to find someone who could sell me enough fully grown borage to fill a batch of ravioli.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

• 3 weeks later...

Along the same lines as dominic77, I'm looking for gyoza wrappers or even wonton wrappers.

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Along the same lines as dominic77, I'm looking for gyoza wrappers or even wonton wrappers.

As far as I know, you can get wonton wrappers in almost every grocery store in the area. For the more exotic stuff, have you looked at Great Wall or one of the other big Asian groceries out in the suburbs?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

As far as I know, you can get wonton wrappers in almost every grocery store in the area. For the more exotic stuff, have you looked at Great Wall or one of the other big Asian groceries out in the suburbs?

I've looked for wonton wrappers in about half a dozen grocery stores in my area (I'm in Rose Hill area of Alexandria.) In which section have you found them; maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.

TIA

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Most independent butchers should have them...if you're willing to cross the river, Union Butcher in Eastern Market sells them at non-usurious prices. If you don't mind being gouged a bit -- or you're just in a hurry -- a Whole Foods near you probably has them.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

If you call ahead to the Lebanese Butcher in Falls Church (Annandale and Lee Highway), they'll save veal bones for you.  I've had great luck with this route.

Thanks. I stop by and I get also get some food to go. BTW what they charge you?

Not much...maybe $1.50/lb? Something like that. But you need to call ahead; they don't keep them on a regular basis, so you need to let them know a day or two ahead of time that you'll be coming by.

Another place in NoVa to try is the Gourmet Giant in McLean (next to Total Wine). They cut their own osso bucco there, which means they have some nice veal knuckles around from time to time. Maybe not a steady source but if you're in the neighborhood it's worth a try.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm looking for citric acid/sour salt. I'm currently getting it in New York (Queens) when it is my turn to make the trip up 95 (long-distance relationship woes), but I KNOW that it has to exist someplace closer, preferably Maryland. Anyone?

Edited by takomabaker (log)

• 3 weeks later...

QUESTION:

Where might I find Spanish-style chorizo? (Metro accessible locations, please.) If more than one option is available, any particular brand?

RESPONSE:

Arbucio, if you're still looking, go to the Dairy section. Wonton wrappers are usually found near the refrigerated brands of tortillas. Look for small plastic packages by the same manufacturer of Japanese and Chinese-style fresh noodles. Whole Foods carries them and major supermarkets always used to carry them. Go to Customer Service and ask if you're still without luck. Do try to visit the Asian grocers in Rockville (mentioned in other threads) or Great Wall of Fish some time soon, though.

QUESTION:

Where might I find Spanish-style chorizo? (Metro accessible locations, please.) If more than one option is available, any particular brand?

RESPONSE:

Generally, Palacio's is the official spanish chorizo. I have found it at Balducci and Dean and Deluca.

Does anyone know a less pricey source?

Pontormo, D'artagnan makes a delicious Spanish-style chorizo that I love. You can order their products online. Also, parts of their lines are carried at Whole Foods and Dean and Deluca last I checked, so I'd call both places.

Not cheap, but good.

Would like to buy white anchoivies, but buying them over the internet is too expensive. (It costs more to ship them then the item costs)

I live near Philly. I've called around and haven't had any luck yet.

I do spend a lot of time on the upper eastern shore of the Chesapeake though.

Any ideas?

Edited by Chanteuse (log)
Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou

Would like to buy white anchoivies, but buying them over the internet is too expensive.  (It costs more to ship them then the item costs)

I live near Philly.  I've called around and haven't had any luck yet.

I do spend a lot of time on the upper eastern shore of the Chesapeake though.

Any ideas?

DiBruno Bros. lists it on thier website, but I'd call to see if they stock it, or only have it online.

http://www.dibruno.com/Detail.bok?no=8

Buttercup & Rochelle: Thanks for the information.

Funny, I never saw the chorizo at Whole Foods, but I might not have been looking in the right place. It is, in fact, the thread on Jose Andres's cookbook that got to me; I want to make the potatoes with chorizo.

Chanteuse: I second the recommendation for DiBruno's. Go to the Pennsylvania forum where I believe there's a thread devoted to the store or to the Italian neighborhood. Cf. MarketStEl's food blog. Here in D.C., the item you are looking for is quite common, sold as "alici." Whole Foods sells them in the section where you find roasted peppers, artichoke hearts, etc. in small plastic containers.

As for fresh chorizo, I bought some at Whole Foods. The flavor was great, but I found them extremely dry. Is this the nature of the sausage? A consequence of the way Whole Foods makes sinful foods "healthful"? Or might I simply be overcooking it?

If your answer is B, a superior source of fresh chorizo would be appreciated.

Looking for pastry/baking supply

Hi all. I'm in MoCo and I'm looking for a baking/pastry supply store. No particular items to purchase at this time. I'm thinking molds, flavorings, etc.

Thanks.

“There is no sincerer love than the love of food.”