• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where Do I Get Stuff?

redfox

I saw some verjuice in the olive oil and vinegar aisle of Wegmans in Sterling. Perhaps give your closest Wegmans a call.

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Actually, saw it again today... it was in the "England" aisle even though it is Australian (Maggie Beer).

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Does anyone have recommendations for a place to find good pork--loin, chops, etc.?

Rockville residents: Is the meat at the two Asian grocers a bit juicier and (nicely) fattier than the Niman Ranch's "wholesome" product?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

if you are also fond of bacon, it would be a nice treat to place an order for both with Nueskes.

it's pork heaven, i tell ya.

Does anyone have recommendations for a place to find good pork--loin, chops, etc.? 

Rockville residents:  Is the meat at the two Asian grocers a bit juicier and (nicely) fattier than the Niman Ranch's "wholesome"  product?

Rockville residents:  Is the meat at the two Asian grocers a bit juicier and (nicely) fattier than the Niman Ranch's "wholesome"  product?

The pork chop guy at the Dupont Circle Farmers Market is very good, if a little pricy. Cibola Farms, I belive they are.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Also, has anyone seen salsify?

Sadly not what you're looking for, I'm sure, but if truly in need for it and it alone, Rodman's (on Wisconsin Ave. in Friendship Heights) had a single can of Belgian salsify on the shelves yesterday. I think the brand was Roland's.

You might also try substituting Jerusalem artichokes--aka sunchokes.

Thanks, Charles & HJ.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

I posted this on the Soft Drink forum but it might be better off here. Honcho's - feel free to delete the post on the Soft drink forum if you wish.

Thanks,

Kevin

I saw a show on FoodNetwork about soda and they did a piece on Moxie. Can anyone say where to buy it in the greater DC area (or even Baltimore)? I'd prefer not to buy on-line so I can just get a can/bottle or two, and also save on shipping.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

I saw a show on FoodNetwork about soda and they did a piece on Moxie. Can anyone say where to buy it in the greater DC area (or even Baltimore)? I'd prefer not to buy on-line so I can just get a can/bottle or two, and also save on shipping.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

I've only seen Moxie one place around here, and that's at a nursery/fruit stand on Route 15 just outside Leesburg. I don't remember the name of the place, but if you're traveling from Gilbert's Corner on 15 going toward Leesburg, it's on the right a couple of miles past Oatlands.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Okay, so what is Moxie? I checked out the linked websites and didn't find anything that described it at all. I'm gathering it's some type of soft drink, but is it something along the Nehi type, the Sundrop type, or what? Just trying to figure out what I'm missing out on :-)

Okay, so what is Moxie?  I checked out the linked websites and didn't find anything that described it at all.  I'm gathering it's some type of soft drink, but is it something along the Nehi type, the Sundrop type, or what?  Just trying to figure out what I'm missing out on :-)

Um, unless you're a soda completist, you're not (missing anything, that is). Moxie tastes like carbonated Robitussin.

(edit for clarity)

Edited by hannnah (log)
"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

This website may have some useful advice for you. It looks like they are listing the Leesburg store Hannnah is talking about.

Thank you! Between the website and Hannah's rec, I'm sure I'll find it.

Even if I have to go Leesburg, I can add in a trip to Chutzpah Deli, Milwaukee Frozen Custard and Wegman's for a culinary bonanza :smile: .

Thanks again,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Okay, so what is Moxie?  I checked out the linked websites and didn't find anything that described it at all.  I'm gathering it's some type of soft drink, but is it something along the Nehi type, the Sundrop type, or what?  Just trying to figure out what I'm missing out on :-)

I've been drinking Moxie for over 50 years. It seems as if people either love it or hate it, with no "inbetweens."

It has a distinctive taste that's hard to describe. It's sorta like a less sweet and slightly bitter Dr. Pepper.

See Wikipedia

Hannnah, have you sampled the Carolina beverage Cheerwine? I think Cheerwine really does taste like carbonated cherry cough syrup. Your comment makes me wonder how it compares to Moxie.

Hannnah, have you sampled the Carolina beverage Cheerwine? I think Cheerwine really does taste like carbonated cherry cough syrup. Your comment makes me wonder how it compares to Moxie.

Moxie has a really bitter/medicinal undertone, which is what reminds me of cough syrup; Cheerwine has that same chemical cherry flavor, but doesn't taste as medicinal to me as Moxie.

I believe Whole Foods had great Icelandic lamb only in the fall.

Does anyone know a good source for baby lamb now?

In Cooking the Roman Way, David Downie claims his use of the phrase "baby lamb" is not redundant in a recipe for Abbacchio al Forno; he also uses the term "suckling lamb." In the spring, Romans roast milk-fed lambs that weigh no more than 15 pounds :huh: (a bit of :sad: ).

Pam the Butcher has left Brookville in Cleveland Park and headed back to Eastern Market according to her erstwhile employer. Any opinions about the meat mongers there or Meat Dept. in Balducci's would be appreciated either here or in a more relevant thread on local butchers. (I can't make it out to Hemps, Rochelle.)

• 1 month later...

Albert Uster Imports in Gaithersburg, MD sells the truffle shells, but you will have to buy a huge case in order to use them. Maybe you can split the case with a friend? Also, I'd call La Cuisine in Alexandria and see if they carry them. I have not seen them for sale off the shelf anywhere, unfortunately. Perhaps there are chocolatiers who use them that might be willing to sell you some of their supply?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever seen borage for sale in this area?

I'm interested in the fully grown plant vs. the seeds, though I am starting to wonder how long the waiting list is for a spot in the community garden.

I'm interested in the fully grown plant vs. the seeds, though I am starting to wonder how long the waiting list is for a spot in the community garden.

Try DeBaggio Herbs in Chantilly. Their catalog lists Borage as being available for 2006. The website seems to be under construction but you can still download the current catalog.

enjoy!

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Try DeBaggio Herbs in Chantilly. Their catalog lists Borage as being available for 2006. The website seems to be under construction but you can still download the current catalog.

enjoy!

N.

Try Reid's Orchard and Tree and Leaf Saturday at the Mount Pleasant Farmers' Market. Mt Pleasant Street between 17th and Lamont, 9-1. I think I have seen Borage plants at one of their stands.

Cibola has good pastured pork at does Truckpatch.. Both are at the Mount Pleasant Farmers' Market on Saturdays, 9-1, Mount Pleasant Street between Lamont and 17th.