• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maywood Marketplace

menton1

The Maywood Marketplace has undergone a major renovation and makeover, it now IMHO qualifies as a destination Specialty store, just about the best North Jersey has to offer. Here is a summary of their offerings:

Cheese A huge variety of cheeses, most of them at extremely discounted prices. The only flaw is the inability to " point and taste" , since it is all prepackaged and pre-weighed. They do have about a dozen sampling trays, but they choose what to sample, not you. But great price and great variety.

Cold Cuts A separate counter has all the cold cuts, lower prices and higher quality than the supermarket, including homemade roast beef, va ham, REAL turkey breast, and eye round. This is also the counter where they make sandwiches to order.

Prepared Foods A plethora of delights here, yesterday they had Fresh ham hand sliced off the bone, short ribs, fried cauliflower, oven-baked potatoes with carrots, stuffed peppers, stuffed flounder, and about 6 other entrees. All well-priced and tasty. On the opposite side of the counter, is an enormous pre-packaged section of prepared foods as well. Soup bar as well.

Bread and Pastry Self-service GOOD bagels, 3 for $1. Italian or French long breads, 99 cents each. Cakes and pastries are abundant, and moderately priced, not dirt cheap. Good variety, attractive stuff. Not made here, but don't know where they are from. Good rugelach, really made from cream cheese dough!

Produce This is fairly ordinary here. The good thing is the variety and the price. Figure about 1/3 cheaper than the supermarket. Not spectacular, but good and a good value.

All in all, they have done a super job here, hope it continues. In the meantime, this place is definitely worth a trip even if you are a half-hour away. Plenty of parking, and it is right off Rte 4, 17, and the Parkway.

Maywood Marketplace

78 West Pleasant avenue

Maywood, NJ

Open till 9PM everyday, except Sundays until 7PM.

Its also across the street from Seafood Gourmet and next to the Moon Doggies which is a local coffee roaster. So if you are going to dinner or lunch at Seafood Gourmet, its something to do afterwards.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 8 months later...

After seeing an ad in The Record yesterday with some great prices, I decided to check out this place for the first time. All I can say is...

WOW! WOW! WOW!

This store is great. It is the working-class version of the Market Basket in Franklin Lakes, with prices on most items about 40% - 50% of what they'd cost at the Market Basket. I like Market Basket, but it's a pretty high fallutin' crowd there, with high fallutin' prices to match. Maywood Market seems to sell very similar stuff, with a mostly medium fallutin' crowd and low to medium fallutin' prices. They have a tremendous variety of cheeses, and I bought a bunch...

Fresh mozzarella, $4.99 per lb.

Hot pepper goat cheese, I think this was $3.99 a pound

Havarti with dill, $3.99 a pound

There is a tremendous variety of prepared foods as well. I got some linguini with white clam sauce, sesame spaghetti, and angel hair with garlic and oil. Most of these items were about $3.99 - $4.99 a pound. They would have been double that at the Market Basket.

I also got some sweet sausage for $1.59 a pound, and some chicken cutlets for $1.99 a pound.

I got a bunch of other stuff too, including some salmon and an eel/avacado roll from their sushi bar.

They are very easy to get to, just off of Passaic Street, about a mile east of the Rochelle Park Shop Rite.

The place was clean and the staff was helpful. I will definitely come back here regularly. What a great find!

As someone who is very happy with low-falutin', I want to try this place out! Today I visited my folks in Oakland and we made a trip to the (celestial music)Market Basket. I just do not feel comfortable there. I wont' go into it..I just don't. I look forward to trying out this market, and the Turkish Market in Lyndhurst. Is there a thread on the Market Basket?

I've been to Market Basket, and, frankly, I don't think much of it. It's not "high-fallutin" at all to me, really a great pretender. Alot of things that just don't merit the pricing that they have.

Maywood defintely soars above Market Basket, no matter which "fallutin" you are. Great cheeses, cold cuts, prepared foods, breads, etc. I have been touting the place for a couple of years here. Glad some others have enjoyed it as well.

hey zhelder, maybe i saw u there on sunday. we were too tired to cook and we went there for something to eat at home. ended up with a hero and salads. the hero was very disappointing but the salads were good. we have eaten there before and the hero was the first thing that was below par.

Just visited Maywood Marketplace again, and have to rave. Largest selection of cheese west of Zabar's (Fairway).!! Tastings of dozens of cheeses available, only drawback is that there is no service cheese for you to point and taste. But vast choices here. Prices are low low low as well. Nice bread section, homemade pies and pastries, service deli with huge varieties of homemade stuff and prepared entrees and salads, olive bar.

New additions from my last visit are some interesting varieties of grocery items, many exotic and not found easily elsewhere. Some very exotic glassed pickled vegetables, jellies and jams, even something called "Lasagna Chips".

This place is definitely worth a foodie's visit!!

• 3 months later...

I absolutely love this place! Their cheese selection alone is reason enough to go. Plus, they put out TONS of samples to try. Their marinated veggies and cooked food are also great and reasonably priced. I went last week and bought their homemade rusks, a couple of different cheeses, roasted peppers, rare roast beef, grape leaves, and a wonderful chicken salad. everything was great and at such great prices. If you live anywhere in the area, go and check this place out. You won't be disappointed.

-Al

• 2 months later...

A recent stop at Maywood MPlace again has confirmed that they are now the premier place for cheese in New Jersey. They have upwards of 200 cheeses on display here, from all over the world. They also have samples to taste of over 50 of them every day!

The only drawback is that you can't ask for a taste of something, it is prewrapped, but chances are the one you are interested in will have a sample for you to taste.

Hint: Middle of the day is the best time to go, in the early evening a lot of the samples are either gone or dried up. But this place is well worth a journey, their cheese selection is fabulous!!

Well, I managed to make it to the Maywood Market. It is pretty expansive in its cheese selection, although there is a lack of really nice high end cheeses. I agree, the pre-wrapping is a shame; much nicer to taste it and get it cut to order. The prepared foods selection was big. My biggest fault was the poor spelling on so many items "beshmel sauce" was a stand out. Seemed clean and well worth a visit if you are in the area. Nicer than Market Basket by far.