• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who else has tableware lust?

jgm

This is not merely a chick thing. No way. I seriously lust after midcentury modern barware, highball glasses, plates... you name it. My MIL got us a great set of eight highball glasses for xmas in this fantastic jungle motif.

I'm still looking for the perfect flatware set.... :hmmm:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 9 years later...

Well, this is not so much Junk Heap Shopping, but how i rationalised my kitchen crockery.

after bringing up four sons, then running the house for students (to run the four sons in education  ), i thought

about the crockery .

Cycle camping in France every year, Duralex is a trade name that crops up a lot, so i went for it and it has done me

proud. hard wearing, pleasant to look for  not a lot of money:

IMG_2474.jpg

Edited by naguere (log)
  • Like 3

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Well, this is not so much Junk Heap Shopping, but how i rationalised my kitchen crockery.

after bringing up four sons, then running the house for students (to run the four sons in education  ), i thought

about the crockery .

Cycle camping in France every year, Duralex is a trade name that crops up a lot, so i went for it and it has done me

proud. hard wearing, pleasant to look for  not a lot of money:

I have a bunch of those Duralex tumblers  and they are hard wearing and don't seem as affected by the dishwasher "film" as other glasses.

I have to do some searching because I broke one of my Eva Zeisel Harlequin plates (sob) this morning and they are much harder to find than a few years ago.  Not a single one on ebay and the only ones on Etsy are not in good shape.  

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a bunch of those Duralex tumblers  and they are hard wearing and don't seem as affected by the dishwasher "film" as other glasses.

I have to do some searching because I broke one of my Eva Zeisel Harlequin plates (sob) this morning and they are much harder to find than a few years ago.  Not a single one on ebay and the only ones on Etsy are not in good shape.  

The Duralex dishes are beautiful in their simplicity. I adore glass dishes, and my every day ones are from Bed Bath and Beyond with a petal pattern embossed on the underside, which makes them pretty, but much more functional than if the embossing was on the top surface. I tried to find them, but they are most likely discontinued. I did find them on: http://www.replacements.com/webquote/ACOCAN.htm

What floors me is the price of the small fruit/dessert bowl. I paid $1 for each of my pieces, and I give the cats water in the bowls now because I have pink glass bowls (also embossed on the underside with a floral pattern) I prefer.

I have found that especially since phosphates were reduced in dishwasher detergent, a severe reduction in the amount you use will extend the life of you dishes, reducing etching and that white film you sometimes get. I'm serious. If you rinse and scrub your dishes as I do before placing in the dishwasher to sterilize, you can reduce the automatic dish detergent to as little as a heaping teaspoon placed in the second cup that springs open on the timer. Your dishes come out sparkling and last years longer.

> ^ . . ^ <