• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year Honours 2005

For those that missed the honours list, Gordon and Heston were both awarded an OBE. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4569630.stm

Jamie Oliver already has an MBE, and if the eGullet rumour of Mr Harriot’s royal connections are correct, can it be long before we see Sir Ainsley?

I always have mixed feelings about Ramsay: while he’s a very successful businessman, I have a real problem with him as “the acceptable face of bullying”. He is, of course, very able in recognising good dishes and setting up high-quality production lines.

...........if the eGullet rumour of Mr Harriot’s royal connections are correct, can it be long before we see Sir Ainsley?

yes, hasn't british food improved so much, come such a long way. i mean, just watch that wonderful show ready steady cook and see how truly excellent and delicious looking the food, what a wonderful performer and educator ainsley is. oh me oh my, who would want to eat any place else?????

and gordon, what a great example for young people, with his individualistic approach to job satisfaction and running a happy and successful business! And jamie, yes, a good example of what hard work (and being photogenic) can do.

yes, they've all done so much for the 'little people' of the land.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

The person who should be knighted is Paul Rankin - for services rendered to the people with tastebuds of Northern Ireland. Went to Cayenne in Belfast between Xmas and New Year - Hallelujah! I had a divine breast of pheasant. The in-laws ordered steak and chips. No surprise there.

But Rankin has also made my wait for a flight at Aldergrove Airport (co. Antrim)much more tolerable as he's opened up one of his cafes there - and the coffee is brilliant. But seriously, I think he's single-handedly begun a revolution and people like him. His potato farls and wheaten are pretty good too.