• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Bay Leaves: The Topic

eatrustic

Thank you everyone for the responses. Freezing it will be for the next batch (with the possibility of growing my own tucked away for future reference), relegating the current, very crispy, batch to the realm of dried.

Freezing. Who knew? Obviously not me (I was with you KA, gonna try the stems in water method, 'cuz it works for stuff like basil and cilantro).

Freezing. Cool. (arf arf arf........I know, keep my day job ! :laugh: )

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 2 years later...

I find myself for the first time with a few fresh bay leaves and want to know two things. How do I know that these aren't those awful "California" bay leaves, the ones that every cookbook tells me to avoid, instead of "Turkish"? And do I use them just as I would dry?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

The true bay when fresh has a sweet, aromatic scent with none of the "linseed" aroma. The California bay leaves have a distinct aroma more like eucalyptus.

The shape is usually different, the true bay being broader, the California longer and narrower.

The best way to check the scent is to scratch the underside of a leaf with your fingernail. The cells containing the essential oil are on the underside.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Good topic, and timely...I have a laurus nobilus that is in a pot that I have had for at least 15 years,,

I also have two other plants that I have propagated from the original plant that are just getting going.

Anyway the question,,, some(most of the older leaves on the original plant ) dont seem to have much flavor.

I wonder if I were to strip a goodly amount of the older leaves so I would get more new leaves, will the plant survive???? I have done evergreen bonsai, and thus, am aware that if you take to much growth off of them the chemical that goes back into the plant from the green growth, is not there, the plant will die..

..Is that going to be the case with the L/N, if I cut lots of leaves from it????

Any direction would be appreciated! I am in Colorado, and the plants are esentially indoor plants, except for some time in the summer on the patio in a light area..

Bud

You can trim as much as 1/4 of the leaves, starting at the bottom of the plant and remove just a few, wait a couple of days and remove some more.

I have used this method to form a "standard" or a single bare stem with a round "head" at the top. When starting with a newly potted scion which has leaves from top to bottom, I would spend a couple of weeks doing the gradual pruning and these were done in the greenhouse so would be essentially the same as your indoor plants.

It is generally the leaves that are about a year old that have the most flavor. When harvesting, without taking the whole stem or branch, I take the leaves nearest the trunk and leave the younger leaves nearer the tip.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Great!!Thanks for the direction, They are just starting to get the spring growth spurt, so I will start on the thinning out of the things,,,,

again,, I really needed some advice from someone who was really aware of what I was talking about!!!

Bud

• 4 years later...

I often have to buy fresh bay leaves for a recipe, but have lots of leftovers.  

What is the best way to preserve bay leaves to keep their fresh taste?

Should I freeze the bay leaves in the freezer by wrapping them in saran wrap then put them in a ziplock?

Should I make  bay leaf oil by putting bay leaves in a blender with canola oil and then freezing them?

Should I make a bay leaf compound butter?

I assume all herbs like thyme and parsley should be preserved the same way?

Edited by torolover (log)

I vacuum seal clean, dry leaves and freeze. I do them in small packages that are dated. Once they are opened I just put them in an ordinary zip-top bag but do continue to keep them frozen.

Edited by cyalexa (log)

Put the fresh leaves in a wire colander on the counter.  Toss them every couple of days until they are dry enough that they snap when bent.

Store in an air-tight jar for 6-8 months. 

I grow my own Laurel Nobilis - "true" sweet bay - and have been drying and using them this way for years - as the dry leaves work better in soups and stews - most savory dishes.

Some dry leaves are de-stemmed and ground in a spice grinder and SIFTED so that only the powder is used in spice and herb mixtures, rubs, etc.

You can freeze the fresh leaves but only after vacuum sealing in a bag - otherwise they lose much of their flavor. 

Use caution in putting the leaves in a liquid and blending.  There can be tiny flakes of the leaves which will harden and become quite sharp and should not be consumed.  If you filter the oil or vinegar or use a fine mesh strainer, you will be okay. 

• Like 1