• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Knife Stores

D90

Anyone recommend any local knives shops (vancouver/richmond)? I currently have one global knife for slicing and a bunch of random knives my mom uses, I was planning to picking up a couple Japanese knives, but I rather buy them locally then online.

Edited by D90 (log)

The place I go to for knives is in Langley... called Stuffers. It's a sausage-making supply company that has a retail-front for spices, knives, cutting boards, grinders, casings etc. The knives are all high quality and are "commercial" quality. Their website is www.stuffers.com however I know that there is more stuff (pardon the pun :biggrin: ) available in the store.

Cheers,

Brian

houseofq.com

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

From the thread title, it looks like you've got your heart set on high-end Japanese. The only place I've seen the really good stuff (Shun in particular) is the previously maligned House of Knives. Despite others' opinions, I don't think it's such a bad place - especially if you actually set foot inside and inspect the knife/knives you're going to buy. That way you can see if you like the feel of the knife in your hand first (and most importantly) of all, and secondly you can see if it's a reconstituted piece of shite or not.

Before Xmas I stopped in the Oakridge branch with my wife, and she got the hint and bought me the Victorinox boning knife and a sharpening stone I was looking at. What a sweetheart. Good deal too.

I almost bought a 10" Shun there last summer - $200 listed, but if you have a chef's card (or can get someone with one to buy the knife for you), it is 20% off. $160 for a 10" Shun IMO is a good price. However in the end, I got a Henckels 5-Star from the Bay for less than $100, and that's the knife I use 95% of the time.

One thing about buying knives on-line is that you don't actually get to hold them before purchasing - which is fine if you've gone out and test-driven them beforehand yourself, but a $200 knife is not something I would buy blindly.

Another option kind of in between the above is the guy from Knifex - I doubt he carries Hattoris or Shuns in his regular stock, but someone said that he will order a specific knife for you if you want. Just search this forum for "Knifex" and the thread should pop up.

There are a bunch of local knife threads in here, search them out if you want more ideas.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

There's a Japanese goods store on 7th Ave just West of Cambie (I think it's 7th might be 8th) that has knives in a display case @ the back.I've only bought Ceramic ware and never looked closely @ the knives.

HOK does have some decent product but the way they go though Staff means it's a real crap shoot as to whether or not they know anything about what they sell.

Also you friendly local Japanese Sushi Chef is a good source of info.

Hi

Have you tried Fujiya 912 Clark Drive 604-251-3711.They sell all kinds of Japanese appliances. Not too sure of the brands though. Give them a call and if they don't have it they may be able to tell you where.

I got my run of the mill from Lee Valley Tools

Baconburner

There's a Japanese goods store on 7th Ave just West of Cambie (I think it's 7th might be 8th) that has knives in a display case @ the back.I've only bought Ceramic ware and never looked closely @ the knives.

HOK does have some decent product but the way they go though Staff means it's a real crap shoot as to whether or not they know anything about what they sell.

Also you friendly local Japanese Sushi Chef is a good source of info.

I think this place might have closed as it was boarded up a month or so ago last time I walked by.

Alex's Hattori is pretty sexy...but he bought it online.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 3 years later...

If you are ever in Yaletown, it might be worth your while to drop by a recently opened Japanese knife shop called Santoku Equipment Office (www.santoku-office.com). They are located near the corner of Helmcken and Homer.

The shop is run by a Japanese knife otaku by the name of Take. He sells a variety of Japanese kitchen knives.

I myself dropped by to see if I could find some information on sharpening my Japanese knives. I discovered that Take-san offers a knife sharpening service (using the traditional method on the Japanese water stone), and also teaches a knife sharpening class. I signed up for the class and can say that hand sharpening a knife Japanese-style is something that will require a lot of practice…

patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're comfortable buying sight-unseen, I've bought twice directly from Japan over the internet from japanesechefsknife.com with great results. The prices are quite unbeatable and the knives have always arrived in 3~5 days without much hassle from Canada Post.

• 2 years later...

Went to a Shun knife demo at Gourmet Warehouse. They have several styles in stock.

Also came across Japanese knives at Lee Valley Tool. They had a special offer on three knives for $200 made from VC-10 steel which I believe is the same material used for Shun knives.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Just browsing around here today, even though it's an old thread I figured I would put in my two cents for anyone else dropping in. If you are looking for high end Japanese knives I unreservedly recommend Knifewear, out of Calgary, and online. Paul's finest has some nice knives also for online shopping as well as the site mentioned above japanesechefknife.com, and there is always Korin, out of NYC. Personally I have bought online from Paul and the product and service is great. Shopping in person at Korin was quite the experience, and came home from there with the Gyuto that I use daily right now. But for the real deal and great prices in the higher end (hand made, etc.) Knifewear is the place to shop, it's a love/hate thing for me since anytime I'm in Calgary I just have to go, and end up with a new knife. Of course you really only need one knife... One more. :rolleyes: