• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

20 Tins of Coconut Milk

easternsun

I second tom kha gai, it will definitely make the coconut milk disappear fast.

This one goes on the list...I have enough "thai supplies" that I will be having a little dinner party. Anything I should keep in mind? Tips, tricks?

Tom kha gai is very easy to make--it's hard to screw it up, but I would suggest adding the lime juice a little at a time. I've followed recipes and had it be too limey using the amounts they suggest.

For your dinner party, might I suggest sangkaya for dessert? If you don't want to use kabocha to cook the custard in, I would suggest serving it with sticky rice. I love sticky rice with custard, especially with some warmed coconut milk poured over it. It's a very nice way to layer the coconut flavours (but with the sticky rice, it can also be too filling after a large meal). I have some sticky rice if you need it, so you don't have to add to your collection of stuff to get rid of!

Oh, long-grain or basmati rice cooked in coconut milk instead of water is a nice way to use up more of those cans.

Fish stock mostly, but I don't see why you couldn't make some stock out of prawn shells. It's 1 litre of fish stock to 400 ml of coconut milk.

The other components are as follows:

3 tbsp sunflower oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

450g risotto rice

5 fresh limes leaves, finely shredded

250g fresh cooked white crabmeat

15g fresh coriander; chopped

freshly ground black pepper

Method (besides your normal risotto prep):

I would add the stock before you add the cocunut milk and not mix the two either...

When the rice is almost done, stir through the lime leaves, crabmeat and coriander.

Season well with plenty of black pepper.

Olive oil and grapefruit juice? I'm intrigued, yet minorly disgusted :wink: !

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Kaya? It's a sort of coconut jam that, on top of the coconut milk, requires quite a few eggs, sugar, and either pandan leaf juice/flavoring or caramelized sugar.

Great idea! But don't you mean palm sugar?

It's caramelized sugar Pan. Believe me. For the longest time I thought it was palm sugar too. :laugh: It does taste remarkably like palm sugar or gula melaka though.

Onigiri, I'll try to get my mom's recipe, but it may or may not be dependent on when she next makes it. But my mom uses pandan juice, and we've never had pandan essence in the house, so I don't think she can do a substitution for you. Why not try the caramelized sugar one first? Well, when I get the recipe anyway. hehe.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

try to get hold of some malaysian kueh recipes - they always use up tons of coconut milk. the other thing i make which uses alot of coconut milk is what i call coconut pie. it is basically a sweet impossible pie with coconut milk instead of milk. that will take care of a couple of cans. you'll find that the kueh will be very popular, so you could double or triple quantities if there are other people helping you to eat.

good luck.

lynn