• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calistoga in January

annadev

Take a ride down to St. Helena (20 min. south) and check out Cindys Backstreet Kitchen and Market. Both of these restaurants will give you better quality for about the same amount that you would spend in Wappo. If you have to stay in Calistoga though, I would recommend Calistoga Inn over Wappo.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

There are a number of wonderful places in Calistoga. Disagreeing with Jeff only slightly, you can save some gasoline and enjoy some local fare (not that St. Helena is bad or anything, but you will spend more money for less food).

My current favorites include Stomp and Brannans Grill. The chef at Brannans was at Tra Vigne during its hey day so the things that folks remember and love about Tra Vigne when Michael Chiarello was there are being carried forth at Brannans (I heartily recommend the cheese-topped polenta with port-wine/balsamic glaze).

Also, at the end of town -- right on the 29 and Lincoln -- is an outdoor BBQ. I'm sorry I can't recall the name but it is seriously fun and quite good.

Carolyn, I believe you're speaking of Buster's BBQ?

That place is killer - his tri-tip and pork are just the best! I try and stop by whenever I'm in that area. Get a couple of hotlinks and beer then you'll be set.

Watch out, the bbq sauce is VERY hot. I love heat but, wow. I get the mild (still spicy) with a splash of the hot. If you're lucky, Buster will be cooking or sitting around the patio. A very friendly, welcoming gent.

Devin

All Seasons Cafe is good, right in downtown Calistoga. We were huge fans of Catahoula's when Jan was the chef there, I'm anxious to try STOMP on our next visit to the area. Also a huge fan of Wappo and recommend it every chance I get. Have a great trip! :) BTW, Indian Springs Resort is great for a place to stay and have a mud bath.

Edited by syrah girl (log)

i just had an ok and not crowded breakfast at the Hydro Bistro (not sure if that is actually the name, but you can't miss it).

i gotta say, i'm surprised about the bbq recommendation... i really wasn't impressed at all with the food there.

i just had an ok and not crowded breakfast at the Hydro Bistro (not sure if that is actually the name, but you can't miss it).

i gotta say, i'm surprised about the bbq recommendation... i really wasn't impressed at all with the food there.

I guess it has to do with the fact that considering the dirth of almost any decent BBQ in the Napa valley, the "any port in a storm" defense rings true. You know there is going to be one going into the old Saketini place in the Target/Trader Joe's strip mall? Brave folks...

I guess it has to do with the fact that considering the dirth of almost any decent BBQ in the Napa valley, the "any port in a storm" defense rings true. You know there is going to be one going into the old Saketini place in the Target/Trader Joe's strip mall? Brave folks...

and a wholefoods in the same complex!! i'll never make it past trancas again :wink: