• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winterlicious 2006

mkjr

I just used my AMEX card to make some reservations today before the rush (although the phone lines were very busy so I was not sure if I was getting the jump on anyone). Going to a few places. Any other places not listed in the official list that are also doing a 3 course? Interested in what places others are going to. Cheers. :wink:

officially left egullet....

How does one know one's meal wasn't prepared by the dishwashers? I always suspect Winterliscious is the week all the chefs take off to go to the Caribbean. :biggrin:

Of course, I've never been so I'm completely talking through my hat and deserve to be shot down quickly...

It certainly is very, very, very popular.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

I did manage to get one for Canoe and Bymark but they are very early on weekdays and they only give you a 1.5 hours - which is fine by me. I looked at the menu at Far Niente which looks very good and with the new reno may be worth checking out. North 44's looks good also. I went to Bymark in the summer and the meal was no different than when I have been there on other nights.

Edited by mkjr (log)

How does one know one's meal wasn't prepared by the dishwashers? I always suspect Winterliscious is the week all the chefs take off to go to the Caribbean.
So the food isn't quite as good as you'd hope around then? Oh well... But when do the dishwashers all head off themselves? To me, that would probably be a worse time to dine. :huh:

The fun of winterlicious is in meeting upp with friends and trying a new spot! However we managed to get lunch at Bymark, and dinner for 8 at Pangaea. I am considering Mildred Pierce for chicken and waffles.

Last year, we were forced to enjoy cocktails while waiting for a table at Canoe. Worth it though they gave us the best table in the house overlooking the city..it was magical and the food and wine was excellent.

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

Thank goodness for speeddial!!!

I managed to book the following dinner reservations for Winterlicious:

-Bymark

-Corner House

-Mildred Pierce

-Pangaea

I unfortunately do not have an AMEX, so on the 12th I was pressing the redial button like there was no tomorrow. The lines were busy since 9:30 am!!!

Bymark was the hardest reservation to score - I honestly think I dialed about 100 times before finally getting through!

Where's everyone else going?

Thank goodness for speeddial!!!

I managed to book the following dinner reservations for Winterlicious:

-Bymark

-Corner House

-Mildred Pierce

-Pangaea

I unfortunately do not have an AMEX, so on the 12th I was pressing the redial button like there was no tomorrow. The lines were busy since 9:30 am!!!

Bymark was the hardest reservation to score - I honestly think I dialed about 100 times before finally getting through!

Where's everyone else going?

Going there also :smile: . Bymark was sooo busy. I recall they only have one phone line for incoming for this event - subject to others confirming otherwise - as I confirmed by trying really late at night on one of my lines at work (sad that I was still at work that late) and then dialed on my other line as the first was ringing and all I got was a busy signal on the other, then hung up the first and tried again and rang through. Pretty fair system if you ask me but a pain in the but - such as life I say. I am also going Canoe, Far Niente, Jump, Nector, and North 44. I may try and get a few others and then spend the next week after at the gym.

I am also going Canoe, Far Niente, Jump, Nector, and North 44.  I may try and get a few others and then spend the next week after at the gym.

LOL - and I thought I was Winterlicious crazy!! :biggrin: Good for you for getting such A-list restos...how you managed to score Canoe, Bymark AND North 44 is beyond me. Do you have a team of minions dialing for you? ;)

On a side note, is this the only board discussing Winterlicious? I thought it'd be a much hotter topic, what with all the avid Toronto foodies out there.

I am also going Canoe, Far Niente, Jump, Nector, and North 44.  I may try and get a few others and then spend the next week after at the gym.

LOL - and I thought I was Winterlicious crazy!! :biggrin: Good for you for getting such A-list restos...how you managed to score Canoe, Bymark AND North 44 is beyond me. Do you have a team of minions dialing for you? ;)

On a side note, is this the only board discussing Winterlicious? I thought it'd be a much hotter topic, what with all the avid Toronto foodies out there.

Just an AMEX card for me and a nice fast speed dial that managed to get me into Per Se in NYC a few months back. A little luck does not help either. I am not aware of any other boards that discuss the same. I note there is more activity in the Vancouver forum on the same event there. I suspect the volume here will increase over time. :biggrin:

Going to Bymark with friends, however I have to admit I wasn't too excited about a lot of the menus being offered this year. For many of my favourite places I'd rather just go with their regular menu, even with the price difference. I admit, I have to be somewhat more careful than some as my other half is allergic (really, it's not one of those "preference allergies") to all shellfish so it can limit us sometimes in cases like this.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

...however I have to admit I wasn't too excited about a lot of the menus being offered this year...

I'm not sure what the menus were like in past years (I wasn't here in past years), but I tend to agree with Jake. Not overly inspiring.

The dishes mostly seem like they're the high-volume/high-speed variety. In other words, get there, eat, and then leave quickly, please. If Winterlicious is as popular as people have made it seem, then I'd worry I'd be herded in and out the front door.

Is it really worth it? I have heard from some friends that they've had some really bad service, particularly when they announced they were there for a winterlicious reservation. I would hate to think restaurants participate if they are going to treat people like C*#P. But it was as if they became 2nd class citizens. This was 2 different couples at 2 different restaurants at last year's Winterlicious.... Anyone had a similar experience?

Chantal

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

"Where there are vines, there is civilization"

from Mondovino

If that's the case, then it may be part of the herding syndrome mentioned above. Niceness could encourage you to enjoy yourself and linger, but that's not what they want. Just eat 'n go. And maybe servers also think: Winterlicious = cheap customers = puny tips.

And maybe servers also think:  Winterlicious = cheap customers = puny tips.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking! However, the way I view it is that if you as a restaurant can handle this professionally and with class, it would be worth my going back and spending bigger money. However, if they can't get this right, why would I go back to spend more? Anyway, here's to hoping that this is the message that management is giving out. :biggrin:

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

from Mondovino

Is it really worth it?  I have heard from some friends that they've had some really bad service, particularly when they announced they were there for a winterlicious reservation.  I would hate to think restaurants participate if they are going to treat people like C*#P.

I agree. I've been to Winterlicious many times, to many restaurants, over the past 3-4 years, and I have had only a few good experiences.

The menus tend to be pretty cheap (salad for the appetizer, either a salmon or pasta for the main, then a nondescript dessert).

The service can be quite variable.

The only restaurant that I found had fantastic service and food, and didn't make me feel like a 2nd class citizen was Auberge du Pommier.

The food at Bymark last year was great, but an a$$40le waiter really ruined it for me.

There is a reason that the waiters tend to nickname the event as Waterlicious - meaning, "I'll just have water, thanks." The service staff hate the week.

:biggrin:

I'm not going to go this year. I'm heading to New York next week for their annual Restaurant Week. Better restaurants participate, and one can often order off of the regular menu as well. Overall, I've found it to be more worthwhile.

Edited by gps-shag (log)

...if you as a restaurant can handle this professionally and with class, it would be worth my going back and spending bigger money. However, if they can't get this right, why would I go back to spend more?

That would be a good approach to take for restaurants, and I'm sure lots of people might participate in Winterlicious with this in mind - to test out a place or two, to see if they like it and might be interested in returning.

Another thought - if, during W'licious, restaurants get busy, with the emphasis even more so on high-volume and turnover, then it's no wonder the servers get in a bad mood. They probably resent the busyness and the work. After all, do they really care? For most it's a side-job and they aspire to other things (film?...). I doubt that many regard themselves as professional or 'career' servers.

As for tipping :wacko: ... Everyone knows that little or no tipping is involved when dining in many other countries around the world. And yet servers there can be professional and even proud of their work. Here in Toronto, for me, paying that extra 15% always grates. (Maybe I won't next time.)

Also (if I may add one last point to the rant) Toronto servers tend to make way more than kitchen staff - those humble heroes at the back who are the ones that ultimately make the food you eat and do way more work. Has anyone ever tipped the kitchen?

"As for tipping :wacko: ... Everyone knows that little or no tipping is involved when dining in many other countries around the world. And yet servers there can be professional and even proud of their work. Here in Toronto, for me, paying that extra 15% always grates. (Maybe I won't next time.)

Also (if I may add one last point to the rant) Toronto servers tend to make way more than kitchen staff - those humble heroes at the back who are the ones that ultimately make the food you eat and do way more work. Has anyone ever tipped the kitchen?"

In the establishment I work for a percentage of the tips has always gone to the kitchen (and unlike so many other places the management are not part of the tip pool).

Just out of interest (and please excuse my ignorance here) in which other countries does one not tip when dining in a restaurant?

And please be careful when throwing that "and do way more work" comment around...

Edited by Nondoctor (log)

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

Just out of interest (and please excuse my ignorance here) in which other countries does one not tip when dining in a restaurant?

In France, a gratuity is automatically added to every bill, even in a cafe. It's up to the diner to decide if the service was deserving of more.

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

from Mondovino

Yes, I understand that... but where on earth is it customary for one not to tip at all?

Dunno... Maybe there is somewhere on earth where it is considered rude. I haven't been to that place yet, though I have been to plenty of places where I tipped when I felt I shouldn't have, but I think that's a whole other story :wink:

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

from Mondovino