• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Drinks

SaintJames

Hello All,

I was wondering if there is a mixed drink that contains rum that doesn't effect the rum too much. I am new to the game, and I love rum, but I don't think I'm quite to the point of just rum poured over ice. I wanted to know if there was anything that could be mixed with rum where you could still enjoy most of the flavor differences.

How about a Daquri, or Mai Tai? Simple, and elegant.

Daquri;

2.0 Oz. rum

.75 oz lime juice (fresh)

.75 Oz. simple syrup

Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass, or over ice cubes in a double rocks glass.

Mai Tai

2.0 Oz. rum

.75 Oz fresh lime

.75 Oz curacoa

barspoon orgeat (ameretto will work in a pinch)

Same as above

Edited to include instructions

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

A nice variation on the daiquiri is to use a ginger infused simple syrup. The Ginger-Lime with the rum are very tasty and complimentary flavors.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I would recommend the following:

Bajan Rum Punch - "1 of sour, 2 of sweet, 3 of strong, 4 of weak"

1 part lime juice (preferrably fresh, not from concentrate)

2 parts sweetner

3 parts rum

4 parts water (I use 8 parts water as I find 4 too strong for me)

Hurricane (made with Pat O'Brien's Hurricane Mix)

Planters Punch

Ti' Punch

Rum Runner

(and yes, Daiquiri, which is the class equivalent of a White Zinfandel relative to vintage wine.....I only recommend Daiquiris for people new to rum and its cocktails)

Hurricane (made with Pat O'Brien's Hurricane Mix)

I have friends who are fond of that stuff for sentimental reasons; but, unless you're over fond of kool-aid type drinks, I would really recommend trying something like the from scratch hurricane on this webpage.

Personally, I think the Gumbo Pages recipe should be further soured up by leaving out the simple syrup or by using pomegranate juice instead of grenadine; but, that is just my preference.

edited for speling.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

(and yes, Daiquiri, which is the class equivalent of a White Zinfandel relative to vintage wine.....I only recommend Daiquiris for people new to rum and its cocktails)

What is this supposed to mean?

Something tells me you are slagging off Daiquiris for some weird reason. Are you even making them properly?

George S.

Something tells me you are slagging off Daiquiris for some weird reason. Are you even making them properly?

George S.

I'm with George on this one. made properly--and intelligent people can differ on this, but only a little bit--this is one of the most noble, refreshing and invigorating of all drinks (plus it's the first classic cocktail invented outside the U.S.--go globalism!).

I like mine (surprise surprise) the old-fahioned way:

Squeeze half a lime into your cocktail sheker.

Add a heaping half-teaspoon superfine sugar. Stir to dissolve.

Add 2 oz GOOD white rum*

Stir again, add a lot of cracked ice and shake the hell out of it. Strain it into a champagne coupe or cocktail glass and have at it. Simple. (I don't like to use simple syrup on this one because I think it makes them taste watery.)

*I've had splendid results with Havana Club 3-year-old, 10 Cane, Neisson, La Favorite, Clement Premiere Canne, Brugal, Angostura and Mathusalem and probably a couple of others I can't recall. Anything but the B-word.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Three great run drinks are already mentioned here:

Planter's punch

Daiquiri (JFK's favorite before dinner drink)

Caipirissima

Let's not forget the illustrious mojito

http://hotwired.lycos.com/cocktail/98/19/index3a.html

Pick any one of these four and you can't go wrong. Thy're really well balanced. If you want more rum flavor, go easy on the simple syrup.

Via con dios.

A nice variation on the daiquiri is to use a ginger infused simple syrup.  The Ginger-Lime with the rum are very tasty and complimentary flavors.

Made a couple of these last night. Fantastic. I only wish I'd had the opportunity to mix one up when the ginger syrup was fresh last week. I imagine the result would have been similar but with a bit more bite. Regardless, this drink is going in the regular rotation.

Thanks for the tip, Katie.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

George S.

I would agree that as with any cocktail it is important for it to be well made, and I ensure my cocktails are well made.

However, what I mentioned is not related to the quality of the make, whether it is ready-made, or the person making it. The appeal of the daiquiri with me is decreasing as I find that it is very common.

In the United States, White Zinfandel (in addition white merlot and white cabernet) is made with the leftover or non-vintage grapes, and hence those "white" wines are lower tier. As with the "white" wines, I do enjoy Daiquiris albeit seldomly.

Therefore, since I regard the daiquiri as "lower tier" regardless if HM the Queen, SS.AA.RR Los Reyes, or an US / Irish / CS President drank them; I prefer other wines and rum cocktails and recommend daiquiris only to those who are new to rum or rum cocktails.

(Sometimes, "old-fashioned" is the only way to make cocktails well.)

Whit R.

Edited by elixirofthetropics (log)