• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

S'mores, updated

jgm

I do a few hors d'oeuvres once a month for a friend who owns a gallery. We serve both sweet and savory items.

I'd like to do a version of s'mores that will be tasty and, perhaps, amusing. One of my requirements is that what I serve must be close enough to the original that people will instantly understand what it is.

One idea I've had is this: Use 1/4 graham cracker (the piece that's about 1" x 3"), spread it with ganache, top with several mini-marshmallows, and use a torch to brown. The gallery doesn't have any kind of toaster oven, so any heating/browning will have to be done in a microwave or with a torch.

I have a feeling that I can do better than this. I'd be willing to do homemade graham crackers, if the consensus was that they'd be much better than what I can buy. I think I have a recipe in "Better Than Store Bought."

What ideas do you have?

You can make your own cookies and your own mallows. cut the into any shape that pleases you, make the marshmallows a new flavor, make whole wheat graham crackers or use shortbread, flavor the ganache with hazelnut or cinnamon. why not a triple chocolate s'more with chocolate graham crackers, chocolate mallows, and bittersweet ganache?

for the record, I also like shortbread or butter biscuits spread with lemon curd and topped with gooey marshmallows.

S'mores give me migraines. So I'd file the idea in file 13.

Otherwise, my suggestion would be use chocolate marshmallows (homemade, or stir some sort of chocolate flavorant into Marshmallow Creme) and white chocolate, on graham crackers.

Suggestion 2: add a dash of Chipotle Tabasco into either a regular S'more, or the S'more above

Suggestion 3: Rough crush graham crackers, make chocolate ganache, roll browned large marshmallows in ganache and then into graham crackers. Serve on toothpicks or similar--I like the plastic sabers, but I used to do best in sabre when I fenced.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

how about ..

chocolate fondue with 'mellows and graham crackers .. or, better yet .. homemade graham biscotti studded with 'mellows?

I ate in a restaurant in NYC's Lower East Side that featured little cast-iron, potbellied stoves with a lump of Kingsford in it. We toasted the 'mellow .. then made our own s'mores :smile:

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

I'm getting lots of great ideas here! I really appreciate it.

Tug, do you have a recipe for the homemade graham biscotti... or ideas about how to adapt a recipe?

Mmmmm. A friend suggested flavoring some mascarpone cheese, and substituting that for the marshmallow. That's not really the direction I was going in, but I am definitely intrigued. And I like the idea of adding flavors to the chocolate. I'm definitely going to have to play around with that!

And I like the idea of adding flavors to the chocolate. 

First suggestion: hazelnut liquer.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Tug, do you have a recipe for the homemade graham biscotti... or ideas about how to adapt a recipe?

hrmm, I'm not a baker .. by any stretch of the imagination. But perhaps a good ginger cookie recipe can be adapted? Allowing for the right moisture content to withstand a second baking? the 'mellow could be included as a frosting/glaze .. then dunked in to your fondue?

i'm getting hungry :laugh:

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

hrmm, I'm not a baker .. by any stretch of the imagination. But perhaps a good ginger cookie recipe can be adapted? Allowing for the right moisture content to withstand a second baking? the 'mellow could be included as a frosting/glaze .. then dunked in to your fondue?

i'm getting hungry :laugh:

I'm working with the idea. Can't do fondue right now; the carpet's new and the owners want to be veeeeeeerrrrrrrry careful. After a couple of years, when they aren't worried about spots anymore (because of several that will be there already by that time), we'll start dunking things. :laugh:

There are several ideas in the marhsmallow thread. One suggestion there was to dip the marshamllow in chocolate and then roll it in graham cracker crumbs.

Otherwise, my suggestion would be use chocolate marshmallows (homemade, or stir some sort of chocolate flavorant into Marshmallow Creme) and white chocolate, on graham crackers.

I love the idea of chocolate marshmallows and white chocolate ganache!

There are several ideas in the marhsmallow thread.  One suggestion there was to dip the marshamllow in chocolate and then roll it in graham cracker crumbs.

I love the idea of chocolate marshmallows and white chocolate ganache!

Excellent amccomb!

After being inspired by the marshmallow thread I made mini smores tarts, with a baked butter/sugar/graham cracker crust, a thin swipe of chestnut puree (jam would also be great), a layer of ganache, then topped with freshly made marshmallow.

gallery_36048_2376_9403.jpg

They are very sweet and best served in small wedges. I played with toasting and then cutting and vice versa. Still not sure which method I prefer. It's tough getting a clean cut.

To toast on site- use a blow torch fromthe hardware store. Very easy to opperate and gives great results.

I'd love to make the tarts again with

- white chocolate ganache and strawberry marshmallow

- passionfruit marshmallows and coconut ganache

flavor floozy

How about tarts using mini muffin pans graham crust, ganachr, fluff, and choc shavings.......Mmmm that sounds good

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

What if you made something that looked like a s'more, but was savory instead? I saw a show where they did a hamburger that was a dessert... the bun was a donut, chocolate brownie as the burger- you get the picture. So what if you had for example a thinly toasted slice of unseeded rye (or melba toast) topped with pate, topped with a cube of a white cheese (feta when heated will brown a but on the edge without losing its shape). Something along those lines anyway. Then for sweets you could do something like the hamburgers mentioned above. It might be interesting with certain artists...

I made s'more squares

layer of g crackers

layer of dark chocolate and a bit of white

layer of marshmallows

a glue of g crumbs with butter and sugar

layer again as above

add a few extra mallows

yummy

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

Doesn't require any cooking at all really, but Trader Joes' triple ginger cookies (with chunks of chrystalized ginger) make the most exquisite little smores when filled with mini marshmallows and squares of good quality dark chocolate. Tiny and delectable.