• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a Turducken for Super Bowl Sunday

Is there anyplace in Seattle (Whole Foods, Larry's, etc.) where I can order a Turducken for 12 people?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Why not just get the real deal?

Here's a funny piece that Sara Roahen, former writer of great columns in the New Orleans Gambit-look for her in a bookstore near you this fall, wrote about Turduckens several years ago. It's very funny.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Is there anyplace in Seattle (Whole Foods, Larry's, etc.) where I can order a Turducken for 12 people?

Bad news, dude. The 'Hawks ain't goin' to no Super Bowl (though a Husky is). You may as well just send out for a pizza.

Here in the other Washington, we're already perfecting a chicken wing recipe that -- even in its primitive form -- is already proven to bring victory to the 'skins. There is no defense for improved iteration we're serving Saturday.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I had Don and Joe's (in the Market) create one for me this past Thanksgiving. They do it for only $20 plus the cost of the birds. I have to say, my regular brined, oven-roasted bird was more popular. I think the Turducken would be better if you put seasoning or something between the birds.

I think the Turducken would be better if you put seasoning or something between the birds.

Like I said...

And just to be clear, this is not my favorite thing, but they are fun and can be very tasty in a (to quote Poppy-or misquote her, whatever), "mishmoosh kind of way"

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The reason I wanted to order locally was because I often don't get home from dialysis until 11pm and I don't want the bird to sit out in the rain or a warm lobby for that long.

I called Whole Foods and they will debone the birds for me. I'll look at some recipes online, but anyone have any ideas. Should I brine the turkey, chicken, or all three birds? (I don't want it to be too salty...and I've never brined anything before.) I'll probably do a cornbread and andouille stuffing.

A Turducken is just one of those things on my things to eat before I die (the last two things scratched off my list were Baked Alaska and Coq au Vin.)

BTW, the Seahawks might not go to the Superbowl but they sure as hell will beat the Redskins. :smile:

Edited by elswinger (log)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Search the 'Cooking' forum for Turducken, I'm pretty sure there was a thread where people shared tips, techniques and experiences...

Edited to add: Voila!

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thanks. It sounds like most people don't think it's worth the trouble. I think I'll do a stuffed Pork Roast or Pork Chops instead.

I have seen them in the frozen section at Central Market Mill Creek and I think maybe at WholeFoods in Bellevue. I would call first to save yourself a trip. I cannot vouche for their quality, I am only saying that I have seen them there!

• 3 weeks later...
Bad news, dude.  The 'Hawks ain't goin' to no Super Bowl (though a Husky is).  You may as well just send out for a pizza.

Here in the other Washington, we're already perfecting a chicken wing recipe that -- even in its primitive form -- is already proven to bring victory to the 'skins.  There is no defense for improved iteration we're serving Saturday.

Um, could you repeat that, I didn't hear you. :biggrin:

Born Free, Now Expensive