• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

looking for an ingredient to balance this cocktail

freshherbs

Hi, I am working on a cocktail but it is missing something--maybe some acidity.

1.5 oz JW Red

1.5 oz Apple Cider

.75 oz Ginger Syrup

I tried adding .75 oz of lemon juice, but it was too much pucker. I also tried a dash of Angostura, but it overwhelmed the ginger.

any thoughts?

feed me seymour

1.5 oz JW Red

1.5 oz Apple Cider

.75 oz Ginger Syrup

Have you ever used or are familiar with Stone's Ginger? It is labelled as a ginger wine but don't think that is accurate, more of an old moniker. It is used in a classic UK cocktail known as a Whiskey Mac. When made correctly it is a balanced and surprisingly smooth cocktail, similiar in texture to a Rusty Nail without the same heather honey mouth feel and less sweet.

I find that Cutty Sark is probably the most mixeable of blended Scotches. What about pomegranate juice or making your own grenadine. That would be a good recommendation for it is a balance of sweet and still has a slight bit of pucker or aciditiy to it.

Grenadine

4 fresh pomegranates - cut in half and juiced with citrus apparatus

3 1/2 oz. demerara sugar (can substitute a dark brown sugar)

1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice

pinch of sea salt

Pour pomegranate juice into a saucepan with sugar, bringing to a low boil and stirring to dissolve sugar. Over low heat, simmer for ten minutes before pouring off to let cool. Add in the lemon juice and touch of salt (acts both as a flavor inhancer and preservative) - pour into a bottle and refridgerate. Should last up to two weeks but have always used it faster than that.

Are you talking pressed apple cider or hard cider? I am assuming the first. Pear is actually very good with a small amount of ginger. Looza and Ceres makes pear nectar, which really is great mixed with cognac and Belle de Brillat. One can always readily make pear juice with a centrifuge juicer and a bag-ful of boscs.

For more inspiration, look at the recipe for a Blood and Sand cocktail. Blended Scotch is mixed with Cherry Herring, sweet vermouth, and orange juice. Although it sounds a bit murky, it works surprisingly well.

Also, Audrey Saunders has a Cranberry Cobbler that has a great flavor profile and may lead to some new ideas, save that it is not a Scotch drink. Wonderful use of Berentzen's Apfel Korn and a making a cranberry compote on the stovetop.

I would Do it a little like this,

2.0 Oz. JOHNNIE WALKER RED

.50 lemon juice

.75 Oz ginger syrup (2 to 1 ginger-sugar)

apple cider (Reeds makes a lovely sparkling spiced apple cider I think you'll like)

Combine first three in collins glass. top with cider. Garnish with an apple slice.

Maybe you tried this two days ago, at O.N.O.G.?

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE