• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
GeordieSteve

Buying good meat in Barcelona?

After spending Christmas in the UK and being reminded how good real, hung, organic beef can be and after reading Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "River Cottage Meat Book" I'm determined to seek out the best carniceria in town.

I know that first-rate, free-range chicken is widely available so that's not a problem. I have also seen exorbitantly-priced organic pork, chicken and beef in El Corte Ingles. What I am looking for, however (if such a thing exists) is a carniceria where they know the origins or their meat and can provide: properly-hung, mature beef from bred-for-meat not dairy herds; non-intensively-reared pork and also a good shop for caza (game).

I have seen that some organic farms offer meat by mail-order but I'd rather shop locally if possible. Does anyone here know where I should be shopping? I'd rather not have to interview every stallholder in the boqueria :)

You could try Productos Cárnicos Colom (C/Valhonrat 27) in Poble Sec. Not everything she sells is ecologic so you need to check with her. Also the restaurant Rebost de la Plana, Gran de Gracia 196-198 (Pl Trilla), 93 237 9046 serves organic meats, apparently, so you may be able to sound them out about suppliers?

I have seen that some organic farms offer meat by mail-order but I'd rather shop locally if possible. Does anyone here know where I should be shopping? I'd rather not have to interview every stallholder in the boqueria :)

Unfortunately, this is quite possibly your best shot. You don't need to ask them all, just one you trust. I'll ask my butcher next week and let you know.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

After spending Christmas in the UK and being reminded how good real, hung, organic beef can be and after reading Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "River Cottage Meat Book" I'm determined to seek out the best carniceria in town.

I know that first-rate, free-range chicken is widely available so that's not a problem. I have also seen exorbitantly-priced organic pork, chicken and beef in El Corte Ingles. What I am looking for, however (if such a thing exists) is a carniceria where they know the origins or their meat and can provide: properly-hung, mature beef from bred-for-meat not dairy herds; non-intensively-reared pork and also a good shop for caza (game).

You have great guidance in the River Cottage Meat book and your search deserves to be recorded. Tell us what you learn. We agree and share your standards for great meat, poultry and game. Let us know what you find! Judith Gebhart

Thanks for the responses, everyone. First port of call will be Productos Cárnicos Colom and I'll let you know how we progress from there. Does anyone know how to say "hung" (in the context of meat) in Spanish?

Silly, to my shame, I'm still don't know most of the stallholders in the Boqueria. I'm stuck in an office all day and by the time I get there just before closing, the place is half-closed, the remaining stallholders are busy and I'm in a hurry. Not ideal for striking up conversations. I'm prepared to get there extremely early once a week if I know who to speak to but I still won't have time to visit more than one or two stalls. On Saturdays, when I've been in the past, the place is usually a scrum of tourists.

Edit: I seem to remember seeing a carniceria for game in Gracia when I drove through one time but I have no idea which street it was on. Am I imagining things or does this place exist?

Edited by GeordieSteve (log)

Silly, to my shame, I'm still don't know most of the stallholders in the Boqueria. I'm stuck in an office all day and by the time I get there just before closing, the place is half-closed, the remaining stallholders are busy and I'm in a hurry. Not ideal for striking up conversations. I'm prepared to get there extremely early once a week if I know who to speak to but I still won't have time to visit more than one or two stalls. On Saturdays, when I've been in the past, the place is usually a scrum of tourists.

Steve,

you're right about the Boqueria, it is worthless after 5-6pm and crowded Sat after 10-11am. I usually go Sats, very early (around 8:30/9), so it starts getting crowded by the time I'm done. I know it's harsh to wake up that early on a weekend, but really if you're stuck in an office during the week there's not much else you can do.

I can give you the stall numbers of the two or three butchers I buy from and you can go ask them if you want , or you can meet me there one of these weekends.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

Personally, I'd take Silly up on his offer. I'm sure the insight into the market will be well worth an early rise, although I don't recall getting up that early to meet him. Then again I didn't have kitchen facilities as a short term visitor to Barcelona.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Personally, I'd take Silly up on his offer. I'm sure the insight into the market will be well worth an early rise, although I don't recall getting up that early to meet him. Then again I didn't have kitchen facilities as a short term visitor to Barcelona.

Bux,

I think you and Esilda caught me on a week where I hadn't been to the market on the previous Saturday, or I needed to "refill". Weekdays before lunch the Boqueria is bearable; most stalls are open and the inflow of tourists is not so bad.

In any case, thanks for the vote of confidence :wink: .

Silly, thanks very much for the offer; sounds like a good idea and I'm sure I can manage one extra early morning. Carnes Colom was closed this evening but I decided to make the most of my visit to Poble Sec by popping into Quimet i Quimet ;)

I will PM you tomorrow. Hasta mañana.

Hi,

Talk of Poble Sec (my local barrio) has persuaded me to start posting. Carnes Colom has 2 branches there - the other is on Blasco de Garay, between C/Elkano & Placa Sortidor. This might be better for you - its open in the evenings, the head butcher usually works from that branch & its nearer Quimet i Quimet! All, or most, of their beef is organic (I think from a farm in Girona?) - & I'd be really interested to know what you think of it, as I haven't tried it yet. I don't know how long its hung, but it (at least the meat on display) does look less marbled than that in Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Meat book. I think this may be because many of his local customers associate organic with low fat/'health' food? But the butcher is really helpful, & is happy to prepare/order special cuts & to talk meat. If you find anything better, do let me know!

Sally

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By thecuriousone
      Hi All-
      I tried a recipe out of The good cook, James and Jellies over the weekend. It is a bitter orange, lemon and watermelon Jam. Actually its more like a marmalade. The recipe went together easily, but a curious thing happened while I was cooking it. The recipe said to add 3 cups of sugar for each 4 cups of fruit and simmer slowly for 1 hour. I did that but at the end of the hour, the consistency still seemed thin. My first though was to reduce it further. I pulled some out of the pot to taste and continued to reduce. I never did get to a really jelled consistency, however the taste started to change, it lost the fresh watermelon flavor and took on almost a "tea taste" like the sugars in the watermelon had carmelized. It doesnt taste bad but should I have taken another approach? I'm not familiar enough with sure gel to use it if its not called for in a recipe.
      Any help would be appreciated. Its a beautiful jam, I would just like to maintain the fresh watermelon taste and have it thicker.
    • By Prawncrackers
      Hola egulleters! Those of you who know me know that I like to turn my hand at Charcuterie now and then. Nothing is more satisfying than breaking down a whole pig and turning it into delicious cured meats and sausages. I'm quite happy making a wide range of products but there's one thing that I just can't get right. Fresh Spanish cooking chorizo, in particular I want to try and recreate this wonderful stuff from Brindisa http://www.brindisa.com/store/fresh-chorizo-and-morcilla/all-fresh-chorizo-and-morcilla/brindisa-chorizo-picante/
      They're wonderfully red, juicy and packed with deep pimenton flavour. Now when I make them I can get the flavour right but the texture is all wrong, very mealy, not at all juicy and the colour loses it's vibrancy too easily. What's the secret to them I wonder? Some kind of additive and/or food colouring?
      My recipe sees me mincing 2.3 kg fatty pork shoulder through a fine die, mixing with 80g pimenton, 50g salt, 30g sugar, 35g fresh garlic and stuffing into sheep casings. Here's a photo of them:

I rest them overnight in the fridge before cooking with them. Maybe I should be putting some curing salt in there and hanging them for a couple of days? Does anyone have any experience making this kind of juicy fresh Spanish chorizo or even chistorra?
    • By milla
      For mid-May in all categories.
    • By riceman
      Dear friends,
      I would like to list here clever gastronomic proposals out of the ordinary to innovate in the kitchen. As an initial example propose our own proposal of cooking our homegrown rice to make our paellas in "El Sequer de Tonica", Spain.

Who said that everything is invented in the field of gastronomy. I wait for your suggestions!!

Cheers,
    • By Virbonus
      We've just come from 4 days in Madrid and an evening in Toledo. In Madrid we ate at Casa Salvador where my wife's oxtails were superb but I can only rate the flavor of my tripe as good, though it was cooked perfectly. I thought Barbara was going to swoon over the roasted marrow bone and beef at Sacha. She started with a fresh tomato salad in a very light balsamic vinaigrette that was perfection. I had the fried artichokes - paper thin slices of baby artichokes fried in olive oil that had the texture of potato chips but were pure artichoke flavor. I followed that with brains that were superb - lightly battered and fried, slightly crunchy on the outside, milky soft inside. Barbara had a chocolate thing for desert and she flipped. I had something akin to creme caramel, but I have no idea what it was, other than outrageously good. I think it had cielo in the name, but since I asked the maitre d' to just pick out deserts for us I'm not sure what we had.
      Then on Tuesday we went to David Muñoz's Diverxo. Extraordinary. And that's saying something because we got off to a really bad start. Twenty minutes to get a glass of wine ordered from the time we were seated. Then, when asked if I'd like chopsticks to which I replied in the affirmative, none ever arrived, but the food transcended all. An amuse bouche of edamame seasoned, perhaps with sumac and something else with a buttermilk-like garlic dipping sauce. Then we both had the seven course tasting menu (the other choice being the thirteen course menu). The seven courses were actually around eleven since a course would often be divided into two halves served sequentially, like the poached prawn (it was called something else) that arrived followed by the grilled, seasoned, head and body with the juices from the body drizzled over the poached tail. Somewhere in the middle were white asparagus wrapped in the skin of red mullet - actually the meal involved parts of red mullet in several of the dishes, such as a pate of red mullet liver on a thin crisp. The courses that I sort of remember include the soup served in a young coconut shell where eating the coconut meat was a desired part of the experience, a steamed roll with a quail's egg yolk barely poached on top, an extraordinary piece of tuna cheek that tasted like a sous-vide cooked short rib, and a piece of ox cheek that had been slow roasted for 112 hours, a small piece of hake served sauced accompanied by a horseradish cream and spherified lime, and a desert which I no longer remember. Very, very highly recommended.
      Yesterday, we made our way to Toledo, where completely by chance we went for lunch to Adolfo. It turns out that the chef, Adolfo Muñoz, is David Muñoz's uncle. And he cooks like it. Not modernist, but brilliantly. Barbara had a simple "small" salad ordered off the menu which was beautiful and then a scallops and artichokes starter with fresh baby artichokes and incredibly dense scallops barely accented with maldon salt flakes that were perfect. I had a risotto of black rice cooked with squid ink and baby calamari and manchego cheese that was off the charts followed by red partridge that was excellent, but paled in comparison to the risotto. Excellent.
      Now we're off to Lisbon.