• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying good meat in Barcelona?

After spending Christmas in the UK and being reminded how good real, hung, organic beef can be and after reading Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "River Cottage Meat Book" I'm determined to seek out the best carniceria in town.

I know that first-rate, free-range chicken is widely available so that's not a problem. I have also seen exorbitantly-priced organic pork, chicken and beef in El Corte Ingles. What I am looking for, however (if such a thing exists) is a carniceria where they know the origins or their meat and can provide: properly-hung, mature beef from bred-for-meat not dairy herds; non-intensively-reared pork and also a good shop for caza (game).

I have seen that some organic farms offer meat by mail-order but I'd rather shop locally if possible. Does anyone here know where I should be shopping? I'd rather not have to interview every stallholder in the boqueria :)

You could try Productos Cárnicos Colom (C/Valhonrat 27) in Poble Sec. Not everything she sells is ecologic so you need to check with her. Also the restaurant Rebost de la Plana, Gran de Gracia 196-198 (Pl Trilla), 93 237 9046 serves organic meats, apparently, so you may be able to sound them out about suppliers?

I have seen that some organic farms offer meat by mail-order but I'd rather shop locally if possible. Does anyone here know where I should be shopping? I'd rather not have to interview every stallholder in the boqueria :)

Unfortunately, this is quite possibly your best shot. You don't need to ask them all, just one you trust. I'll ask my butcher next week and let you know.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

After spending Christmas in the UK and being reminded how good real, hung, organic beef can be and after reading Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "River Cottage Meat Book" I'm determined to seek out the best carniceria in town.

I know that first-rate, free-range chicken is widely available so that's not a problem. I have also seen exorbitantly-priced organic pork, chicken and beef in El Corte Ingles. What I am looking for, however (if such a thing exists) is a carniceria where they know the origins or their meat and can provide: properly-hung, mature beef from bred-for-meat not dairy herds; non-intensively-reared pork and also a good shop for caza (game).

You have great guidance in the River Cottage Meat book and your search deserves to be recorded. Tell us what you learn. We agree and share your standards for great meat, poultry and game. Let us know what you find! Judith Gebhart

Thanks for the responses, everyone. First port of call will be Productos Cárnicos Colom and I'll let you know how we progress from there. Does anyone know how to say "hung" (in the context of meat) in Spanish?

Silly, to my shame, I'm still don't know most of the stallholders in the Boqueria. I'm stuck in an office all day and by the time I get there just before closing, the place is half-closed, the remaining stallholders are busy and I'm in a hurry. Not ideal for striking up conversations. I'm prepared to get there extremely early once a week if I know who to speak to but I still won't have time to visit more than one or two stalls. On Saturdays, when I've been in the past, the place is usually a scrum of tourists.

Edit: I seem to remember seeing a carniceria for game in Gracia when I drove through one time but I have no idea which street it was on. Am I imagining things or does this place exist?

Edited by GeordieSteve (log)

Silly, to my shame, I'm still don't know most of the stallholders in the Boqueria. I'm stuck in an office all day and by the time I get there just before closing, the place is half-closed, the remaining stallholders are busy and I'm in a hurry. Not ideal for striking up conversations. I'm prepared to get there extremely early once a week if I know who to speak to but I still won't have time to visit more than one or two stalls. On Saturdays, when I've been in the past, the place is usually a scrum of tourists.

Steve,

you're right about the Boqueria, it is worthless after 5-6pm and crowded Sat after 10-11am. I usually go Sats, very early (around 8:30/9), so it starts getting crowded by the time I'm done. I know it's harsh to wake up that early on a weekend, but really if you're stuck in an office during the week there's not much else you can do.

I can give you the stall numbers of the two or three butchers I buy from and you can go ask them if you want , or you can meet me there one of these weekends.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

Personally, I'd take Silly up on his offer. I'm sure the insight into the market will be well worth an early rise, although I don't recall getting up that early to meet him. Then again I didn't have kitchen facilities as a short term visitor to Barcelona.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Personally, I'd take Silly up on his offer. I'm sure the insight into the market will be well worth an early rise, although I don't recall getting up that early to meet him. Then again I didn't have kitchen facilities as a short term visitor to Barcelona.

Bux,

I think you and Esilda caught me on a week where I hadn't been to the market on the previous Saturday, or I needed to "refill". Weekdays before lunch the Boqueria is bearable; most stalls are open and the inflow of tourists is not so bad.

In any case, thanks for the vote of confidence :wink: .

Silly, thanks very much for the offer; sounds like a good idea and I'm sure I can manage one extra early morning. Carnes Colom was closed this evening but I decided to make the most of my visit to Poble Sec by popping into Quimet i Quimet ;)

I will PM you tomorrow. Hasta mañana.

Hi,

Talk of Poble Sec (my local barrio) has persuaded me to start posting. Carnes Colom has 2 branches there - the other is on Blasco de Garay, between C/Elkano & Placa Sortidor. This might be better for you - its open in the evenings, the head butcher usually works from that branch & its nearer Quimet i Quimet! All, or most, of their beef is organic (I think from a farm in Girona?) - & I'd be really interested to know what you think of it, as I haven't tried it yet. I don't know how long its hung, but it (at least the meat on display) does look less marbled than that in Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Meat book. I think this may be because many of his local customers associate organic with low fat/'health' food? But the butcher is really helpful, & is happy to prepare/order special cuts & to talk meat. If you find anything better, do let me know!

Sally