• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle caterers?

We have a party coming in March for about 50 people at our home. We'd like to have it catered buffet style. We're looking for something interesting and delicious, and I am a big fan of things in well made, flakey puff pastry. Price is somewhat of an issue. For example, we probably wouldn't have caviar and fresh lobster.

The last caterer we used was The Wedge, a long-gone cheese shop in University Village. The last caterers thread on eGullet is more than a year and half old.

I'd appreciate recommendations from personal experience.

Note: The cake is not in issue. It will be a chocolate raspberry torte (with added Grand Marnier) from the B&O Expresso.

You might try this place. Our department almost used them but we went with a Taco Bar from Qdoba instead.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

My recommendation on other threads, Ravishing Radish, still stands as the best catered food I've had, hands down.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Most restaurants cater events as well. I had Mistral do one of my parties and the food was all unbelievable! I had them do just finger foods and they charged me per piece. It really wasn't extraordinarily expensive.

I also had Monsoon do a whole roast pig for me. It fed almost 60 people and cost very little. It was quite the hit!

We've used Joanie's Catering for several Board meetings, store openings and parties, great friendly service and even better food - all at a price we could afford. They're in West Seattle but they'll travel to whereever (we had them do a store opening at Alderwood). They'll also prepare what you need and have you pick it up if you don't need full service.

Joanie's Catering

cburnsi

Edited by cburnsi (log)

• 2 months later...

It was not an easy choice, but I ended up with A Grand Affaire. They were fantastic. I worked directly with Monica Newby, the owner. She helped with the menu as well as planning the overall party.

We started wtih one of their standard menus ("Northwest Feast") and my comment that I loved pastry. We then revised the menu by email, phone, and in person at our home, where the party was to take place. We increased the mini hors d'oeuvre selection to three, each with a different pastry:

Spanikopita - phyllo stuffed with spinach, feta, garlic, and oregano, plus an herbed tzadziki sauce

Chevre Puffs - puffed pastry bouchees filled with French goat cheese and sweet red peppers drizzled with a port wine demi glaze

Smoked Salmon Scones - crème fraice-cream cheese spread with pacific alder smoked salmon lox served atop an onion-chervil miniature scone

As a pastry fan and amateur baker, there would be nothing more disappointing than heavy or soggy pastry, no matter how good the filling or topping. However, each pastry item was different and each pastry was wonderful.

We also moved the crab and artichoke dip from part of the main buffet to being an hors d'oeuvre. The problem with this move was that there were no leftovers of the dip! Had it been part of the main buffet, with so many dishes, it wouldn't have all disappeared.

The other pastry item was a Brie en Croute, layered with fresh basil, wrapped in puff pastry, baked and served warm with French baguette. How many of these have you seen at events served in a bread-like dough? Not here! This was real puff pastry, light and flakey. And the fresh basil was a wonderful addition I had not seen before. The crust was so well done that reheating the bit that was left over the next day crisped it up again very nicely.

This is getting so long that I won't list all the main course dishes. To some extent they track the Northwest Feast menu, with some changes and some lighter sauces.

The chef and server provided were very professional, and the whole process was smooth as could be. A Grand Affaire was great.

Edited by RandyB (log)