• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Can New Orleans Save the Soul of Its Food?"

Gifted Gourmet

article from NYT

Race and money have long separated this city's po' boy counters from its white-tablecloth restaurants. But the line between the two was easily crossed in pursuit of something that tasted good. Mandina's and Henry's Soul Food were New Orleans institutions as surely as Antoine's and Galatoire's. They were equally loved, but, it turns out, not equally protected. Among those who care about New Orleans food, the debate is whether the high can survive without the low."Now more than ever I really need to be focused on the New Orleans sensibility," he said. "I have a responsibility to take indigenous foods and pay them more homage."

An excellent article, in my opinion ... Lolis Eric Elie, a columnist for The Times-Picayune and SFA's John T. Edge has some insights in how to proceed in restoring the foods and places that made New Orleans.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I wish that I had known about John Edge's work weekends coming up. I'd happily have driven down to help out and to bring a little North Carolina BBQ to N'Orleans. In fact, I'm going to see if I can find out more information and just volunteer, now.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

I wish that I had known about John Edge's work weekends coming up. I'd happily have driven down to help out and to bring a little North Carolina BBQ to N'Orleans. In fact, I'm going to see if I can find out more information and just volunteer, now.

Well, all you have to do is send an email to sfamail"at"olemiss.edu and she will promptly get back in touch with you. Mary Beth is, in fact, the most efficient person that I have ever met. Her skills in cat herding are renowned all across the Southland.

There is more information here on the Southern Foodways Alliance website.

I am going to do a halfway decent job of trying to report what is happening at Willie Mae's Scotch House, progress wise, with this project as we go along. With any luck, it won't be the only one that we do. You can't ever have enough volunteers, so you might give it a shot. At least you know that your brown bag lunch will be pretty tasty.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I can't wait to get started; I was excited to be pitching in--then I learned that Besh was doing lunches. Now I'm really happy.

Re: the article, I think it's too early to have the jazz funeral for our food culture. Give it a little time...yes, many places won't reopen. But other places will rise up to fill the void...given a little time and patience (and on a small positive note, I drove by Dunbar's the other day & the family was busily cleaning the place out).

Well, all you have to do is send an email to sfamail"at"olemiss.edu and she will promptly get back in touch with you. Mary Beth is, in fact, the most efficient person that I have ever met. Her skills in cat herding are renowned all across the Southland.

My flight is booked and my car rented, so I'll be there for the last weekend Feb 10-12. I'm really looking forward to helping out.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

My flight is booked and my car rented, so I'll be there for the last weekend Feb 10-12. I'm really looking forward to helping out.

I'll be there as well, for most of the time anyway-that is also the weekend of the Viking/Beard House thing and I will have to go to a couple of events during that.

You should have a great time if the first weekend's reports are any indication. Thanks for helping out. We need all of the help that we can get down here.

Brooks

I'll be there as well, for most of the time anyway-that is also the weekend of the Viking/Beard House thing and I will have to go to a couple of events during that.

You should have a great time if the first weekend's reports are any indication. Thanks for helping out. We need all of the help that we can get down here.

Brooks

That's also the weekend that Krewe du Vieux rolls. Good times.

I'll be working at Willie Mae's both this weekend and Feb. 10-12. See you there.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

What work days are you referring to?  If it's cleaning up this city, I would love to contribute in any way possible.

Rhonda

Rhonda,

Click on the SFA link above and you will see what they are talking about. Mary Beth is still looking for some volunteers and I am sure that you would enjoy both the work and the company.

Brooks

Thanks, Brooks. I just emailed her. Hopefully, I will hear back tomorrow.

Question. Would you mind if I (or you -- I think you go there sometimes, or someone named Brooks does) post the information on the local Tom Fitzmorris food board? I KNOW there are good people there who would want to help and who will help.

The time for tears, fears & shattered hearts has passed. It is totally time for action. I have picked up trash on side of the road and was never more thankful than when all of the temporary "we're open" signs were removed from every curb. Slowly, I'm moving back into mainstream Orleans Parish, than staying in Jefferson Parish trying not to see the scars every single day. I sunk so low as to eat only when my stomach was growling so loud I was scared other people would hear it, and THEN even ate at whatever chain happened to be close by and open. It is sooooo time to get back to good food and to the New Orleans I know and love. I made stocks this past weekend, a huge roux to have in the fridge, sauteed trinity so that it's on hand, cleaned out the refrigerator, and generally made it a "stock up" day to replenish what's been missing in my fridge.

I don't know how good I'll be at construction, but at the very least I can serve food and ice water to people, pick up trash, and whatever else I can do. Hey, if it turns out I'm good with hand tools, so much the better. I do know how to use a glue gun, and I've watched enough Trading Spaces to think I can use a pneumatic nail thing! :biggrin:

Rhonda