• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How about this book?

jo-mel

I had a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble. Naturally I made a bee-line for the Chinese cookbooks. Maybe I should have done it on line, as the store didn't have that much of a selection ---- and I already had most of the ones they had on the shelves.

I by-passed the new Ken Hom 'easy' book and Yan's Chinatown. This last one wasn't separated into the Chinatowns -- just a lot of recipes. So I finally settled on this one by Leeann and Katie Chin as it seemed like solid home cooking without a fuss. A few pictures, but the book is mostly recipes.

Any of you know this book? I haven't tried any yet. Actually, hzrt's recipes will come first.

(been very busy lately, but hope it is soon behind me so I can come and read more)

HeeHee -- I also bought a book on Food in History. Looks interesting, altho only part of it is China. And ---- I bought "101 Things To Do With Ramen Noodles".. Looks like a cheaters guide to faster than fast ramen meals.

(Sorry about the spelling error in the sub- title. When I tried to edit, the title line wouldn't come up)

Edited by jo-mel (log)

[...] And ---- I bought "101 Things To Do With Ramen Noodles".. Looks like a cheaters guide to faster than fast ramen meals.

That reminds of one of my college roommates. For 2 years he cooked ramen noodles about every other night, and he threw in a few chicken wings (no seasoning) to white-boil them. Yike! Ramen... college students' best friend.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Jo-Mel, that book is excellent. It comes with a decidedly Toysanese slant, reflecting the heritage of the authors.

Thanks for that assurance, Ben! The recipes looked good and when I saw one for butternut squash with salted black beans, I was sold ---- er ----- I bought the book!!

[...] And ---- I bought "101 Things To Do With Ramen Noodles".. Looks like a cheaters guide to faster than fast ramen meals.

That reminds of one of my college roommates. For 2 years he cooked ramen noodles about every other night, and he threw in a few chicken wings (no seasoning) to white-boil them. Yike! Ramen... college students' best friend.

Hzrt --- Thanks for that correction in the title!! I should have used "&" in the first place.

About Ramen noodles -- they are a no-no on South Beach, but I just couldn't resist some of the fast, simple ideas when you have to have something -- anything -- and have it, even with guilt. It reminds me of the recipes of yore that began with "Take a can of mushroom soup------" Now it is "Take a package of Ramen noodles-------"!

I by-passed the new Ken Hom 'easy' book and Yan's Chinatown. This last one wasn't separated into the Chinatowns -- just a lot of recipes.

I got Yan's Chinatown with some of my Christmas money. It isn't divided into sections by city, but many (most?) of the recipes are attributed in their intros.

I have made a Macanese claypot rice dish, and a lovely (unattributed) lime and silver fungus soup. Both were quite good.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

I've made a handful of recipes from this book, and all have been truly easy to prepare and taste great.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

I bought this book a few years back. The recipes are great for casual home-style cooking.

I liked the recipes for chow shung ding and the tofu stir fried with hoisin and ground pork. I made the noodle pancake (browned double side, HK style) that came out very well.

Some weren't as good - the Mongolian-style steak covered with brown bean sauce was overly salty, for instance. I didn't like the beef stir fried with tomato and basil either.

I look at the book less frequently now - when I want a reference book, I turn to Yan Kit-So's Classic Chinese Cuisine or Martin Yan's Chinatown book. Also just bought Grace Young's Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen.

I bought this book a few years back. The recipes are great for casual home-style cooking.

I liked the recipes for chow shung ding and the tofu stir fried with hoisin and ground pork. I made the noodle pancake (browned double side, HK style) that came out very well.

Some weren't as good - the Mongolian-style steak covered with brown bean sauce was overly salty, for instance. I didn't like the beef stir fried with tomato and basil either.

I look at the book less frequently now - when I want a reference book, I turn to Yan Kit-So's Classic Chinese Cuisine or Martin Yan's Chinatown book. Also just bought Grace Young's Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen.

Thanks. I'll look into those recipes.

I really like Yan Kit-So's books - especially her Classic one. It is full of great side information.

Edited by jo-mel (log)