• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg white for smoothness

battlepanda

I read about the classic cocktail White Lady in a recent issue of Bon Apetit. In addition to the orange liquer, lemon juice and gin, I was intrigued to find a tablespooon of egg whites among the ingredients. Even though I couldn't imagine it adding to the cocktail, the recipe insisted that the addition was mandatory.

I came home and started to experiment. I had no lemons in the house, but I added some eggwhite to my usual cranberry and gin with a twist of lime and whisked the mixture vigorously until it is cloudy with some frothing on top. I sipped -- it was delicious. I can smell the lime and the gin as usually, but the cocktail was much smoother on my tongue. It also had slightly more body to it, which was nice. I can get away with adding a lot more gin without the drink becoming too harsh.

So, any Alton brown types out there able to explain how this works? Are there any other any other cocktails out there which calls for egg whites? And can I use this as a trick to retrofit all kind of cocktails for which egg whites are not an intended ingredients?

So, any Alton brown types out there able to explain how this works?  Are there any other any other cocktails out there which calls for egg whites? And can I use this as a trick to retrofit all kind of cocktails for which egg whites are not an intended ingredients?

There are many cocktails that use egg whites and some even use egg yolks. The two drinks that come to mind, where egg whites are involved, are the Whisky Sour and Ramos Gin Fizz. With out the egg, these drinks are pretty plain, but after you shake in the egg white, the drink is completely different. For the Ramos Gin Fizz, shake the drink for at least one minute, or use a stick blender to foam it up after shaking with ice. If you shake, it will start to feel "ropey" when it is ready. You'll know what ropey is once you shake long enough.

I've written an article, on eggs in bars, for Gary Regan's new website, www.Proof101.com and the accompanying newsletter called the Bar Rag. This website should be up in a month or so. This article deals with getting bars to bring back the egg white in cocktails.

Anyway, you could probably add an egg to any drink you want, that's the fun of cocktails!

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps

Now that you have found the joys of egg white try the whole egg.

New York Flip

2.0 Oz. Rye (Or Bourbon)

.75 Oz port

1.0 Oz Heavy Cream

1.0 Oz Simple Syrup

Whole Egg

Nutmeg

Shake everything but the nutmeg with cold, large ice hunks for about a min. swtrain, then grate some fresh nutmeg on top.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

New York Flip

2.0 Oz. Rye (Or Bourbon)

.75 Oz port

1.0 Oz Heavy Cream

1.0 Oz Simple Syrup

Whole Egg

Nutmeg

Shake everything but the nutmeg with cold, large ice hunks for about a min.  swtrain, then grate some fresh nutmeg on top.

I'm down with the rye, egg and nutmeg, but port with heavy cream...I don't know...

Still, one only lives once, so I'll be giving it a try.

You need to shake really vigorously to get the egg to release its contents. Also advise straining twice to remove all traces of the shell.

Gethin

So, any Alton brown types out there able to explain how this works?  Are there any other any other cocktails out there which calls for egg whites? And can I use this as a trick to retrofit all kind of cocktails for which egg whites are not an intended ingredients?

Retrofitting long drinks is relatively easy. You just have to shake the drink before adding the mixer. Just add the egg white in with the normal ingredients, shake and strain, then top with slightly less mixer (since you've added extra nonalcoholic ingredients).

Silver Gin Fizz

2 ounces gin

1/2 ounce simple syrup

1/2 ounce lemon juice

1 egg white

Soda water

Shake all ingredients except soda water with ice and strain into a glass. Top with soda water. Adjust simple syrup to lemon juice ratio to suit personal taste.

With short drinks, it's a bit harder, simply because an egg white is quite large, while a cocktail is relatively small, and adding extra nonalcoholic ingredients screws with the end strength of the cocktail. (One of the reasons you should use medium eggs instead of large or jumbo whenever possible) One option is to use a stronger liquor. You can easily add an egg white to a Daiquiri by using overproof rum.

Eggwhite Daquiri

1 ounce 151 proof rum

1 medium egg white

1/2 ounce simple syrup

1/2 ounce lime juice

Shake and strain. Adjust simple syrup to lime juice ratio to suit personal taste.

what most people don't know is that a preponderence of drinks originally contained egg whites, sours and collinses alike. if you don't believe it, look at the ingredients on a bottle of collins or sour mix in your grocery store and 9 time out of 10 you'll see pasteurized egg whites listed. same goes for commercial sour mix in bars.

egg white blends and rounds out the flavor profile, provides a velvety mouth feel and an excellent foamy head for presentation. always wash your egg shells and use a separator for most hygeinic results. these drinks must be shaken VIGOROUSLY and enjoyed grinningly. beware the commercially separated egg whites as many are adulterated and won't provide the all natural foaming action of the fresh from the hen variety.

Edited by drunkenmonkey (log)

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy." -W.C. Fields

Thanks for the recipes...I'll be sure to pick up the ingredients next time I do a liquor store run.

In the meantime though, I couldn't resist coming up with my own recipe.

I call this the Runaway Bride, because it looks all peachy and innocent, with a pale pink tint and frothy white head, then you take a sip and realize it's got a kick. After a couple, you'll be ready to head off to Vegas yourself:

Take 1 tablespoon of eggwhites, 1 teaspoon of peach schnapps, 1 jigger vodka, 3 jiggers of white wine (I use chardonnay), 1 jigger cranberry juice, juice from half a lime. Shake with ice until frothy. Serve in a wineglass.

I don't add any syrup because I don't like my cocktail sweet. Cheers.

runawaybride.jpg

Edited by battlepanda (log)

Wasn't there some horrible invention that was created to replace egg whites? I vagely remember seeing it when I was working as a bus boy and had to help stock the bar. It was something like Foam-it, or Drink Foam. Can't remember the specifics, but it looked like a small plastic bottle that had a clear viscous liquid in it. It was supposed to be a 1 to 1 replacement for egg whites.

I haven't seen it around recently and that is a good thing.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Wasn't there some horrible invention that was created to replace egg whites?  I vagely remember seeing it when I was working as a bus boy and had to help stock the bar.  It was something like Foam-it, or Drink Foam.  Can't remember the specifics, but it looked like a small plastic bottle that had a clear viscous liquid in it.  It was supposed to be a 1 to 1 replacement for egg whites.

I haven't seen it around recently and that is a good thing.

There is product out there, it is some times called "heading powder" made from an algea. Not that you would want to use it, but it can be found at your local homebrew company and it's called "Kreamyx", and I'm sure there are others.

It shouldn't be confused with egg white powder though.

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps

You need to shake really vigorously to get the egg to release its contents. Also advise straining twice to remove all traces of the shell.

Gethin

I guess I shoulld hace mentioned that the egg shell went into the raft for the Goat Consumme, that is merrily simmering on the back burner while making your flips. I aploogize to anyone who inadvertantly went beyond their USRDA of calcium because they put the WHOLE EGG into their NY Flip.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

That sounds/looks mighty tasty battlepanda. Did you play around with amounts for the ingredients, or did you knock this one out of the ball park on the first go round? In particular, I was wondering how the relatively small amount of peach schnapps makes a difference in this drink? Did you add it more for aroma (makes perfect sense) than actually taste?

And thanks for absolutely the best line of the day, maybe the week:

I call this the Runaway Bride, because it looks all peachy and innocent, with a pale pink tint and frothy white head, then you take a sip and realize it's got a kick. After a couple, you'll be ready to head off to Vegas yourself:

:biggrin::smile::laugh:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Aw, shucks, Diva...

To tell the truth, this one is born out of looking at a fairly depleted fridge and liquer cabinet and thinking..."hmmm, what can I make?"

Not adding too much peach schnapps is definitly key. You just want a hint of peach. Otherwise you end up with a drink that tastes like that godawful Arbor Mist peach chardonnay stuff. Well, to be honest, even as is it is reminiscent of of Arbor Mist because it shares the same kind of flavor profile. But it's far better, I can assur you.

Another twist in our eggy tale. I tried the New York egg flip. And indeed, it was spectacular. And deadly. I totally spoilt my dinner after having just one! But I was intrigued with the flavor combination -- port is one of my favorites, and I've never seen it used in a cocktail.

So I seeked to streamline the New York egg flip while playing up the port, and this is what I came up with...

purplenurple.jpg

Take an egg yolk, beat it and measure out two teaspoons of yolk. Shake with 2 jiggers of port and one jigger of rye. Or make life easier for yourself by making two at once by using the whole yolk and doubling the liquor. Shake with ice and strain into a small wineglass or other suitable stemware (cocktail will be very short.) Take a tablespoon of cream and mix in a pinch of nutmeg. Float cream off the back of the spoon on top of the drink carefully. Twist the stem between your fingers carefully while the glass rests on the table to get the cream to float evenly.

I struggled with what to call this. The only other drink I know that is this short is the buttery nipple, so I decided to name this "The Purple Nurple".

Don't try this cocktail without the yolk -- otherwise the acidity of the port will curdle the cream. Not yum.

What is yum is the last sip of this drink -- almost all nutmeggy cream, with just the dregs of the port and rye. Mmmm...

Shake with 2 jiggers of port and one jigger of rye....

A jigger being how much?

1 1/2 ounces

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Shake with 2 jiggers of port and one jigger of rye....

A jigger being how much?

1 1/2 ounces

Not in the Wondrich household. We've always followed the teachings of Mahatma C. H. Baker, Jr., who held that “a jigger less than 2 oz is both unthinkable and an insult to all guests.” Then again, a jigger MORE than 2 oz is both undrinkable and an insult to all ganglia.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Aw, shucks, Diva...

To tell the truth, this one is born out of looking at a fairly depleted fridge and liquer cabinet and thinking..."hmmm, what can I make?"

Not adding too much peach schnapps is definitly key. You just want a hint of peach. Otherwise you end up with a drink that tastes like that godawful Arbor Mist peach chardonnay stuff. Well, to be honest, even as is it is reminiscent of of Arbor Mist because it shares the same kind of flavor profile. But it's far better, I can assur you.

Thanks battlepanda. I've found that much of the tastiest food as well as drink comes from raiding the remnants of the fridge/cabinets to come up with something inspired. :smile:

I've been wanting to come up with a cocktail that includes a cherry/cranberry juice combo or (cranberry/pomegranate) that's not too sweet with a bit of a kick similar to your creation. Perhaps: one part cranberry, one part cherry, dry white wine, ounce of vodka, egg white, and???????????? the tiniest bit of that magical secret ingredient to finish it off. A teaspoon of orgeat syrup (has an almondy flavor I think), or Grand Marnier or___________? Any suggestions appreciated.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I don't know how big the the jiggers y'all used are, but mine came out to just about 2 tablespoons. That's certainly not two ounces, or even 1 1/2 ounce, is it?

Indeed, that comes out to just about an ounce. One reason that specifying amounts by "jiggers and ponies" isn't particularly useful unless you define the size of your jigger. This is one reason, among many, that a lot of the drinks in the earliest cocktail books are difficult to puzzle out.

--

yeah... and my jigger is in metric... 4cL? that's, what, little less than 2 oz? ugh.

back to egg drinks... made a Coffee Cocktail from Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails on a lark. thought the discription and picture were intriguing, but didn't expect to like it (wierd ingredients... just doesn't look tasty). but, Ted Haigh has yet to point me in the wrong direction. i loved it and was sorely disappointed when i discovered i didn't have enough brandy for a 2nd.

Are powdered egg whites availiable? If they are, should I bother? I just had an egg white in an east india cocktail from dale's book. loved it. the mouthfeel is so much nicer with egg whites.

This is great, I can't get the suburbanites to drink gin, but now I want to throw in egg whites too. I'm going to get fired.

Are powdered egg whites availiable?  If they are, should I bother?  I just had an egg white in an east india cocktail from dale's book.  loved it.  the mouthfeel is so much nicer with egg whites.

This is great, I can't get the suburbanites to drink gin, but now I want to throw in egg whites too.  I'm going to get fired.

I would say not to bother here is a ? Audrey asked Mr.Mcgee during his Q&A thread Q:

Hi Mr. McGee,

So here it is, and I'm hoping you can help me with my question. We are seeing a lot of experimentation with gelatin-based foams in cocktails these days. Classically, egg whites have been used in the past to create a froth---for some reason, egg white foam seems to be a lot more stable than gelatin-based ones.

I did a side-by-side comparison of both, utilizing a classic gin sour (gin, lemon juice, simple syrup) as the base. When I prepared drink #1 with the addition of an eggwhite, the foam maintained it's texture and stability for a long period of time; after the drink settled, the foam rose to it's rightful place at the top of the drink, and remained in the glass long after the drink was finished. I then prepared drink #2 and topped it with gelatin foam; the foam began to deteriorate after approximately 8 minutes.

I thought that perhaps it was the gelatin foam in contact with the alcohol that accelerated it's deterioration, so I went a step further. I shook up a gin sour with an egg white, and allowed it to settle---the eggwhite foam properly rose to the top of the drink---at that point I applied gelatin foam on top of that.

My idea was that the eggwhite layer would act as a buffer between the alcohol and the gelatin in drink #3, but to no avail. The gelatin still collapsed on top of the eggwhite layer. I have attempted different versions of the gelatin foam; increasing the number of sheets to give it more stamina, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What are your thoughts here? Are eggwhites stronger in the presence of alcohol? Why?

Thank you for any help you can offer here. I greatly appreciate it!

Audrey

A:

Excellent experiments, Audrey! As you’ve discovered, egg whites are better foam stabilizers than gelatin, alcohol or no alcohol. There are several reasons for this. The egg proteins are relatively small and move easily into place in the bubble walls, and bubbles denature them and cause them to bond permanently to each other. Gelatin molecules are long and tangly and not as mobile, and don’t bond permanently to each other—that’s why jellies can be repeatedly melted and resolidified. Gelatin can be made into a better stabilizer by cutting its molecules into smaller, more mobile pieces (“hydrolyzed” gelatin)—something you could do by holding the gelatin for a short period with fresh pineapple, then heating it to kill the pineapple enzyme—but it still won’t match egg whites.