• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sesame ball recipe? anyone?

aznsailorboi

HALLO!!!! hey guys anybody have a recipe for the sesame balls??? they're the dessert kind with bean paste inside and rolled in sesame seeds, not sure if they're baked or fried...... but if you have a recipe for it, i'd love to have it. making it for CNY 2006, and im gonna do a test run, so no boo boos. please share if you do have one.

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

HALLO!!!! hey guys anybody have a recipe for the sesame balls??? they're the dessert kind with bean paste inside and rolled in sesame seeds, not sure if they're baked or fried...... but if you have a recipe for it, i'd love to have it. making it for CNY 2006, and im gonna do a test run, so no boo boos. please share if you do have one.

Lots of recipes out there, but not all tell you the trick in deep-frying them is to press the balls against the side of the pan. The following link is good:

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/desserts/r...meseedballs.htm

And here -- from our own Dejah, you have a pictorial:

http://www.hillmans.soupbo.com/soos/seedball.html

(Dejah -- I had never seen your wonderful on-line site!!!! It is great!)

And here -- from our own Dejah, you have a pictorial:

http://www.hillmans.soupbo.com/soos/seedball.html

Wow, Dejah! How long have you had that page posted? That's terrific! That's such a hidden gem. You need to hire me and jo-mel to do marketing work for you... :biggrin:

It's been up since last Chinese New Year. :smile:

I think we talked about that in a past thread.

The nice looking ones were made by my Mom. She wasn't able to "repair" the ones I made! :laugh: These seasme balls are not like the firmer ones you'd get at dim sum. These are suppose to collapse. These are called chang tay, specifically for Chinese New Year.

I have other stuff to put up, but just never seem to get a hold of a computer for a period of time to collate everything!

School has started, so time is limited. I have a challenging group this term: a multilevel class of 11 at the university, and 20 multi-level immigrants in the evening! :blink:

jo-mel: a word of caution: once you get into our site, it may pull you in deeper and deeper...soon...you may be lost in cyberspace!

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

School has started, so time is limited. I have a challenging group this term: a multilevel class of 11 at the university, and 20 multi-level immigrants in the evening!  :blink:

So in the end, you will have 31 forced labor to help you make jiaozi! They don't know what they are getting into... :laugh::laugh:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Sue-On nice site, hehe just like you said to jo-mel it draws you in further to your site, it did it to me. gawd!!! I started looking at the food blogs then.......after three hours later......i went through the whole site. you have a very wonderful family. :smile:

With your version of the sesame ball...do you use the same type of dough to make the ones similarly served in the dim sum places?

Ooh and another thing I saw on your food blog was the Joongzi....I've always known them as Ma Chang, and the rice is brown from some coloring(light soy maybe, but you cant really taste soy), but the contents seem to be the same, the mushroom, pork, dried shrimps, chestnuts, etc. can you please post the recipe for this dish if you have a chance...just whenever ur not busy. thanks.

Tim

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

[...] but the contents seem to be the same, the mushroom, pork, dried shrimps, chestnuts, etc. can you please post the recipe for this dish if you have a chance...just whenever ur not busy. thanks.

There is plenty of info in this zongzi cook-off thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...l=cook-off&st=0

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

[...] but the contents seem to be the same, the mushroom, pork, dried shrimps, chestnuts, etc. can you please post the recipe for this dish if you have a chance...just whenever ur not busy. thanks.

There is plenty of info in this zongzi cook-off thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...l=cook-off&st=0

hehe for some reason I kinda felt that Joongzi had already been discussed. thanks guys.

Here's my results from the test runs I did with the two recipes:

from chinesefood dot about dot com...

Their dough was very hard to work with, too tough and rubbery. I only managed to put a smear of red bean paste inside since I was making smaller three-bite pieces, and plus the fact that the skin wouldn't stretch, it was hard to pinch it close. Frying was the hard part. the surface browned but the inside is still uncooked, coz of the thick skin...again. so all in all the recipe is not that good ...or I wasn't doing it right..oh well :hmmm: although one thing I like about it is that the dough was almost off white, like the ones in the dim sum places. All in all I didn't like the results except for color.

Deja's recipe...

The texture of the dough was nice and pliable, so I was actually able to roll a piece of red bean paste, got it inside and not just a smear hehe. The frying part was tricky, the dough browned quickly than I expected, probably because of the brown sugar candy in it. It looked great as soon as you haul it out of the oil, but after maybe 10 min the dough kinda deflates :sad: and the longer it sits out at room temp the denser the skin gets. I was picking on it every so often and got observations:

*at 10 min.( still crunchy exterior, skin a little dense )

*at30 min.( can still feel a hint of crunch but lost the airiness of the skin and this time the spherical form took on another shape lol)

*and 45 min. (not crunchy anymore, all the oil accumulated in the skin, looks like a deflated basketball hehe.) still tastes good, but the greasy feel got to me....

Oh and by the way for the red bean paste, I used Tepee's recipe from the mooncake cook-offs, it was so good, I omitted the rose jam, since I dont have any available, and didn't want to wander off to any flavouring at the moment. I had a lot of red bean paste left over from making the sesame balls.....but it was just too good to be "left over".....so it disappeared after a few hours. :raz:

Can I use white sugar to make the slurry instead? maybe it will make the dough lighter in color? I was also wondering if anybody here knows why the bakery kind looks like it wasnt fried even though you can taste grease in it, and the skin is not too thin or too thick, has the texture of mochi, and can retain its shape for days on the bakery shelf?

uhmm I just caught my mistake from the first recipe :angry: ......I used white sugar!!!!! :shock: I dunno if that changes the texture of the dough? but oh well, then again if I used brown sugar then the color wouldnt be lighter still.

As I mentioned in a previous post, these sesame balls are supposed to collapse. After New Years, I cook these with guy choi. Yum! :wub:

The ones I've had at dim sum have a thicker and firmer pastry.

If you check my pictorial, the dough is not brown. I used bing tang, not ordinary brown sugar.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

If memory serves, aren't the two sesame balls different things? The ones sold at yumcha are solid through, and the ones that Dejah, Po Po and all the Toysan women make are hollow, sometimes with a bit of filling, eg. peanut pieces. And, I always thought they blew them up :rolleyes: .

If memory serves, aren't the two sesame balls different things? The ones sold at yumcha are solid through, and the ones that Dejah,  Po Po and all the Toysan women make are hollow, sometimes with a bit of filling, eg. peanut pieces. And, I always thought they blew them up :rolleyes: .

Yeah, I think those are 2 different types of sesame balls. The small, solid one is called "Siu Hou Zhoo" [Cantonese] (Laughing Mouth Date)... something that looks like a smily face because it's kind of crack up in the center outward when deep-fried.

The other one is called "Geen Dui" [Cantonese], which is the hollow one made with glutinous rice flour and lotus seed paste inside. This one is fluffy when deep-fried, and collapses when cooled.