• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods To Eat When You Have a Cold

Chicken soup if I have enough strength to open the can.

And bologna on white bread. :blink: It's the only time I ever have the craving for that.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Pickled ginger, straight from the container!

Not gari, the pickled ginger you get with sushi (although I wouldn't turn my nose up if it were available!), but the three-flavored kind, cut in shreds. The flavor is strong, and combines sour, salty, and sweet flavors. Yum.

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

I always have highly reduced chicken stock in the freezer. I take a container and add 3 times the volume in water to bring it back to soup like consistency. Then I add garlic, salt, and a lot of Tabasco. The finished product goes in large cappuccino style cup for drinking. It seems to relieve the congestion some and make me feel better.

I also recommend my homemade NyQuil. It is 2 parts vodka, 1 part Chambord, and 1 part orange juice. Shake it with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. A few of these and you will not care if you have a cold. Hell, drink enough and you will not care if you have a head.

To all that are ill I hope you feel better soon,

Dave

I am eating some of the spiciest papaya salad I've ever had in my life (eyelids sweating) and it occurs to me that this would cut through just about anything, if you can tolerate the heat. Whew! I think they got a little carried away on this batch but it hurts so good.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Pickled ginger, straight from the container!

Not gari, the pickled ginger you get with sushi (although I wouldn't turn my nose up if it were available!), but the three-flavored kind, cut in shreds.  The flavor is strong, and combines sour, salty, and sweet flavors.  Yum.

What do you mean by "three flavor" pickled ginger? Do you mean beni-shoga, red pickled ginger (actually a deep rose color)?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Hot, hot, hot indian food. Washed down with a half bottle of burly Zinfandel. This is not only tasty, it has curative powers, as well.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

What do you mean by "three flavor" pickled ginger? Do you mean beni-shoga, red pickled ginger (actually a deep rose color)?

That must be it!

I didn't know the name, so I googled. The only site I found (not showing up in my history, so I can't give you the real address) was about preserved food in Thailand, and it called it three-flavor.

Thanks for the real name!

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

Pho. It's worth the trip. With plenty o' rooster sauce

My Ex got me started on a thing called glop ... X number of pieces of toast, with X number of softboiled eggs, butter, and salt and pepper to taste. All mashed up together.

Chicken soup, preferably a bit more salty than usual with lots of pepper. I also love congee with lots of ginger, bok choy, and pepper. Something about the warmth with clean, clear flavors works well when I'm feeling nasty.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Hot water, lemon juice, honey and (here's the salient point) rum. It clears me up long enough when I'm miserable that I can then actually taste some food. Make sure to breathe the steam from the cup as much as possible while drinking it. After that, I usually just eat whatever is available, but hot and sour soup is awfully nice. :smile:

"An' I expect you don't even know that we happen to produce some partic'ly fine wines, our Chardonnays bein' 'specially worthy of attention and compet'tively priced, not to mention the rich, firmly structur'd Rusted Dunny Valley Semillons, which are a tangily refreshin' discovery for the connesewer ...yew bastard?"

"Jolly good, I'll have a pint of Chardonnay, please."

Rincewind and Bartender, The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett

I also head to House of Noodles for pho when I'm sick. The combo of a good stock with those chiles, cilantro, and sriracha hits the spot.

edited to add: I just merged several "feed a cold" threads into one. A quick glance suggests that chicken soup is, without question, the cure for what ails you!

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Whiskey in any form--tryska mentioned hot toddies before in this thread, and I have to say, it works AND it's delicious.

Was feeling a little ill this past weekend, but whiskey came to the rescue again--a can of PBR mixed with a shot of whiskey...whew. I felt much better after a couple of those.

• 1 year later...

Fighting a cold today. I made a sort of "extreme congee" -- rice cooked in leftover dashi broth, with shiitakes, several crushed cloves of garlic, and a few slices of ginger root. Garnished with a couple cubes of fermented bean curd with chilies, plus a bit of chile bean paste. Warmth from the inside out. I don't know if it's having any effect on my cold, but it's making the rest of me very happy.

didn't have a cold, but like the above 2 posters I made juk today as well. Mine was incredibly dull though. I cooked my rice with chicken broth and garlic, but hey it all came together with a few dashes of delicious msg.

when I have a cold I eat spicy foods. A favorite past and present remedy is bean sprout soup with lots of gochu garu (korean chile flakes). You make a basic broth with some dried anchovies. Then you add bean sprouts and garlic. You garnish with gochu garu and sliced green onions. Easiest soup in the world. It's also nice to put a few scoops of rice in the soup.

spicy foods clear up your sinuses and your nose and makes your nose run. Its also a great hangover cure

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Pho is sovereign against colds.

So is my Nana's toddy: Boiling water, lemon juice and honey to taste, a huge splat of black current jam and tot of whatever's hanging around. Inhale. Sip. Sleep.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

sour spicy soup. It provides fluids, steam, "flow" stimulator (spicy), throat soother (sour). Plus the spicy can numb a raw throat after the agony of the first sip.

I usually make a bastardized version of avgolemono, and add as much tobasco as I can stand.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I felt so crumby and stuffed up today that I fixed some Mama Brand ramen noddles -- the spicy creamy tom yum kind. Very yummy, especially given how much worse I felt after trips to two home improvement and three grocery stores.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

on Thanksgiving eve I too feel like crap. Lots of cooking to do and a full day of food tommorow. I know it is nothing special but I will have a big bowl of chicken broth with sliced jalepenos tonight. The spicy stuff is good for me and helps unclog my head.

Sicker than a dog and I'll be out in the rain tommorow smoking my turkey. Oh well, Happy Thanksgiving

on Thanksgiving eve I too feel like crap.  Lots of cooking to do and a full day of food tommorow. I know it is nothing special but I will have a big bowl of chicken broth with sliced jalepenos tonight. The spicy stuff is good for me and helps unclog my head.

Sicker than a dog and I'll be out in the rain tommorow smoking my turkey. Oh well, Happy Thanksgiving

Hope you are feeling better in a few hours (in time to spoke the hell outta that turkey that is...).

To all - happy T-day!

Me, a lil under the weather...thus tonight I enjoyed a big bowl (two cans) of cambels chicken rice soup....mmmmmmm. I added in some pepper and seasoning salt....oh yeah and some parmesan ramano shredded on top...gotta keep the foodie theme going....even with the cambels soup....haha

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

• 1 year later...

This won't help with your question but, for me, it's nothing at all. When I'm sick (really sick, not *cough* *cough* "Ummm, I won't be in today because I'm sick. Huh? I know, but I'm still talking to the boss. Errr, so yeah... I'm sick." *cough* *cough* I love getting those calls. :rolleyes:) I want a dark quiet room, a warm bed, a big bottle of ginger ale and leave me the %$*# alone... I'll be out when I feel better.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I know you're asking for eats...but I will start with 'drinks' because when you're sick, whether you've got the latest cold or stomach flu, liquids are of utmost importance also.

Drink: Hot tea, chicken broth, GATORADE (I capitalized that because it's often all I feel like and restores some of my energy when I am drained from throwing up too much :)

Eats: Chicken noodle soup, or just noodle soup. I like very salty broths when I have a bug or feel under the weather - so often I turn to cambels original chicken noodle soup...so salty, soft noodles (I normally like my noodles anything BUT soft, love al dente noodles or maybe even slightly less cooked than al dente, but when I am sick I love the cambels soft overcooked noodle goodness).

Saltine crackers (with said soup, or just plain). Who knows, maybe its the same salty theme going on here (Gatorade, soup, saltines are all higher in salt).

FlavorIce pops...I could eat these all day/night long - even when I am not sick (and I do eat them - had about 15 tonight...so so high in sugar but how I love thee). Whether your throat is hurting or your tummy is aching these are yummy on the sick tummy/head/neck/throat. When I have the flu its often all i can keep down - even when the Gatorade retaliates and comes back up.

That's all I have - might seem a little odd - but it works for me.

P.S. Almost forgot, fruit smoothies. When I am sick I don't use dairy (no yogurt or milk, just a blend of fresh fruits, juices, ice, or frozen fruits if I have them stashed in the freezer - which I almost always do) - at least not when I am stomach sick. My tummy just doesn't want milk based products at times like these. However, if I have a cold or I am getting over being sick a yogurt based smoothie can be a godsend - all those healthy active cultures to restore the activity in my body.

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!