• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bearfoot Bistro - Wine Pricing (Merged)

mkjr

I will start this by saying the service and food was amazing. I was told about a story of huge percentage mark up. Apparently, at Bearfoot Bistro, a magnum of the Laughing Stock Portfolio 2003 is being sold, and aggressively sold by the sommelier, at a price of $300 for a magnum (or $150 for a 750 mL bottle). I dropped the phone when I was told, laughed at first and then said no “seriously” “seriously” (kind of like George W did in the John Stewart segment on the Daily Show a few weeks ago) and then asked again how much? I then dropped the phone again as the number was confirmed. This wine was sold by the winery for only $35 bucks a 750 mL bottle a few months ago and can still be picked up at several places for around that price in the city that I am aware of – at least it could be when I was last in the city at Christmas. Assuming a slight premium for the magnum, and according to my math, that is over an 400% mark up. I am sorry but this is unacceptable. This screams of the five letter word made famous by the corporate raider Gordon Geko in Wall Street. Wow is all I can say as I write this stunned. Anyone have a PDF of the wine list. I would like to see what a more responsible sommelier ought to have sold to a group for $150 for a 750 mL OR LESS. I just notice the 5 course wine pairing at a $120 bucks. Also unacceptable unless they are serving some big wines for that amount. Anyone know what they do serve for this?

Is this standard for BC wines on wine lists or do others think this is outrageous also. :angry:

Edited to refer people to note below pointing that out the mark up is only 300%.

officially left egullet....

I believe that the wine list is available on PDF on their website www.bearfootbistro.com.

I, however, have great trouble in believing that anyone was subjected to high pressure sales tactics or had something "aggressively" pushed on them.

That has never happened when I have been in the place and I have been going there for 4 years now and their wine people are not aggressive.

As for what they serve with the 5 course pairing, it changes as does the 5 course, everyday.

Would like to know what sommelier supposedly did this, though.

As for the mark-up on wine, that's why I am a beer drinker. :laugh:

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

...I, however, have great trouble in believing that anyone was subjected to high pressure sales tactics or had something "aggressively" pushed on them....

Would like to know what sommelier supposedly did this, though....

The chances of my significant other (which was the person who resisted the hard sell at Bearfoot last night) making the story up to me this morning is very highly remote and she likely left out many of the details as she is a very passive person so for her to even say something to me about it is rare. As for who it was I will PM you with details.

You are welcome to believe what you want.

I merely said that I found it hard to believe, not that anyone was making anything up.

I sincerely hope you didn't misconstrue what I said and I hope that no offense was taken as none was meant.

I certainly wasn't implying that anyone was lying or any such thing.

Just that I found it hard to believe and that's all.

And I would appreciate knowing who it was for more than a couple of reasons.

Thank you and I am sorry that your significant other had such a horrible time.

Eleanor Clark

How passive can you be to not say "no thank you"? And yes, markup of 400% is a tad over the line, but its their restaurant and they can mark it up %1000 if they wanted to; its their right. Nobody puts a gun to your head and makes you go to eat there or order their wine. Vote with your wallet, as it were. I am pretty sure there are a few other restaurants in Whistler...

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

I merely said that I found it hard to believe, not that anyone was making anything up.

I sincerely hope you didn't misconstrue what I said and I hope that no offense was taken as none was meant.

I certainly wasn't implying that anyone was lying or any such thing.

Just that I found it hard to believe and that's all.

And I would appreciate knowing who it was for more than a couple of reasons.

Thank you and I am sorry that your significant other had such a horrible time.

None taken and I know exactly what you were getting at :smile: . The dinner was great, the service was great she would go back in a second. Just the rant about the price and the push is all.

How passive can you be to not say "no thank you"? And yes, markup of 400% is a tad over the line, but its their restaurant and they can mark it up %1000 if they wanted to; its their right. Nobody puts a gun to your head and makes you go to eat there or order their wine. Vote with your wallet, as it were. I am pretty sure there are a few other restaurants in Whistler...

I agree 100% that people can charge what they want - she went for a magnum of Blue Mountain Pinot Reserve which was a better value. Just sharing information with others who are interested.

Edited by mkjr (log)

There'll always be those who criticize anyone who openly questions business practices-something that we see over & over & over on this Forum.

Next expect an oily spin from some PR flack-Staff or 'on retainer'. :raz:

Gee Sam, and here I thought you actually had something to say on the topic at hand.

The wine mark-ups at Bearfoot are nothing new to this forum. Read more about it HERE, and about the theft of some expensive wine HERE.

A.

just thought that i would chime in and mention that i payed 100 dollars for my magnum, retail, making the mark up on the magnum only %300. This is, in my opinion, a fare markup in a town like whistler, where the rent is probably through the roof. Do you know for certain that the 750 was being sold for $150, reading your statement mkjr, it seems you have arrived at that price based on the price of the magnum. The winery sold the magnums for 3 times the price of the 750 ml, so that would equate to a mark up that appears slightly higher.

just thought that i would chime in and mention that i payed 100 dollars for my magnum, retail, making the mark up on the magnum only %300.  This is, in my opinion, a fare markup in a town like whistler, where the rent is probably through the roof.  Do you know for certain that the 750 was being sold for $150, reading your statement mkjr, it seems you have arrived at that price based on the price of the magnum.  The winery sold the magnums for 3 times the price of the 750 ml, so that would equate to a mark up that appears slightly higher.

Many thanks for pointing that out. 300% does sound a little better given location. I just phoned the winery and only 60 (10 cases) magnums were sold which is why the higher price.

I was recently in Toronto and found mark ups similiar in downtown restaurants which kept me from buying wine and I drank beer. I think smart consumers know what is fair for mark ups and make a determinaton on what they are ordering relevant to their budget. 300% mark up is a bit much on higher end wines but if you have a going concern like Bearfoot then you are going to capture as much profit as possible. Especially when the majority of your customers are using exchanged currencies and have combined family incomes in excess of the majority of the population.

There must be the odd hole in the list.

The wine mark-ups at the BB are undoubtedly on the high side at 300-400%. On the other hand this place has a reputation as the best restaurant in Whistler - and one of the best in North America - and in resort towns there is always a monied clientele that wants to eat and drink in "the best place in town" and money really is no object.

The BB fills and exploits this market niche nicely. The place was absolutely packed with Europeans and Americans flashing their platinum and black credit cards when we were there over the Xmas break. Someone has to take their money!

Take the most expensive (and best) restaurant in any resort town and compare it with the BB - and the BB will probably appear to be a bargain.

I really find it hard to believe that the staff was hard-selling. This is not their style, and they simply do not need to. The place sells itself.

.... I really find it hard to believe that the staff was hard-selling.  This is not their style, and they simply do not need to. The place sells itself....

I could not agree with you more on all the points you noted with the exception of the foregoing. You are entitled to believe what you would like. As I have noted above I am only passing on information that people may be interested in knowing. :smile:

.... I really find it hard to believe that the staff was hard-selling.  This is not their style, and they simply do not need to. The place sells itself....

I could not agree with you more on all the points you noted with the exception of the foregoing. You are entitled to believe what you would like. As I have noted above I am only passing on information that people may be interested in knowing. :smile:

This is probably just a question of degree and perception. If you are ever in the restaurant in the Badrutts Palace Hotel in St. Moritz, and you look around the room and realize you are the only male guest who is not a Russian gangster, and the waiter comes to your table and begins to open a $5,000 bottle of champagne without even asking...and then swears at you under his breath in some unrecognizeable language when you decline and ask for a beer - that's unacceptable to a polite Canadian like myself... although it is of course entirely acceptable among the smart Russian set in St. Moritz.

The reason I had and still have trouble believing that high pressure sales tactics were used is that I am a staff member at the Bearfoot Bistro.

We are a very well oiled seperate you-from-your money machine but high pressure and aggressive sales tactics are not and have never been our style.

I have had the pleasure of working there for 4 years and our owner (founder) would never tolerate anyone like you are describing working for him.

Hell, at our staff meetings, we are told that if he even hears that we are going around town bragging about working in the best restaurant in town, he'll fire us.

He believes that we can always do better and should and I agree with him on this.

A sales approach such as the one you described would mean that that person would be the pushiest person in the unemployment line.

I can only tell you what I know to be the God's honest truth from my years of working at the establishment.

Every other place I have worked in both Whistler and Toronto has had a mark-up on wine of between 200-300% and this is pretty much the norm for the business.

The thing I am most upset about is the "high pressure sales" comment and I can assure you that none of my co-workers fit the description given.

They are a group of consumate professionals and I am very proud and honoured to work amongst such learned people in a town where your server usually couldn't find their ass with both hands and a flashlight and speaks with an Austrailian accent.

We have never been and will never be encouraged to use such suburban tactics in this establishment.

I, personally, extend an invitation to you and your significant other to come back for some oysters and champagne (my treat) and you can see for yourself that this is not the way we operate.

I hope to see you and I am looking forward to talking to you further.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Edited by Oyster Guy (log)

Eleanor Clark

[host]

Okay, we've established that mkjr comments were from his POV, and that Ducky, Oyster Guys and others find it hard to believe.

Nothing is going to come from continuing, so let's just agree to disagree on this one and move on, OK? Further discussions will be removed without explanation.

A.

[/host]

First, the price of the Laughing Stock in a magnum at the winery is $100.00, second there were only 36 made. Yes, if you spend under 75 per btl or if you buy BC wines the mark up is 300 %. On the other hand between $200.00 & up there are many great deals Like Insigna 2002 for 295.00 not bad considering most places have it listed at $450.00 or Penfolds Grange 1997 at 375.00 or Mouton Rothchild 1988 for 695.00, just last week a good client of ours bought a 1990 Romanee Conti for $4200.00 & told us that this is the best price he has seen , even in auction, going for thousands of dollars more. Yes, the more you spend the better deal you get. It is my philosophy. On another note for any one who may coming up to Whistler in the near future, only one week left for the alba truffle season.

Andre Saint-Jacques

I'm a firm believer in charging what the market will bear. Hopefully most people know that restaurant margins are slim at best and wine pricing helps pay the rent, staff wages, cellar procurement, and very good food including "Alba truffles". Your prices on the Mouton and Grange seem in line to me. Our prices might seem high here in B.C. compared to the other countries that do not have the LDB to contend with but on otherhand our food prices are incredible low compared to London or New York. I say pay abit more on the wine but end up with reasonably priced food.... it all balances out.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I'm a firm believer in charging what the market will bear.

........ but on otherhand our food prices are incredible low compared to London or New York. I say pay abit more on the wine but end up with reasonably priced food.... it all balances out.

Well said Stephen! - and if a dozen oysters can still be had for C$9.95, why not pay a bit more for a glass of bubbly to wash them down?

"World class" resorts need world class restaurants and wine lists; the fact that BB has stayed in business this long with such professional staff is testament to this establishment belonging to an exclusive international fraternity.

Well done Andre!

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

Yes, a dozen oysters can still be had for a mere 9.95 between 3 and 6:00 p.m. everyday at the dazzling Champagne Bar.

And I would be happy to shuck them for you. :biggrin:

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Edited by Oyster Guy (log)

Eleanor Clark

First, the price of the Laughing Stock in a magnum at the winery is $100.00, second there were only 36 made. Yes, if you spend under 75 per btl or if you buy BC wines the mark up is 300 %. On the other hand between $200.00 & up there are many great deals Like Insigna 2002 for 295.00 not bad considering  most places have it listed at $450.00 or Penfolds Grange 1997 at 375.00 or Mouton Rothchild 1988 for 695.00, just last week a good client of ours bought a 1990 Romanee Conti for $4200.00 & told us that this is the best price he has seen , even in auction, going for thousands of dollars more. Yes, the more you spend the better deal you get. It is my philosophy. On  another note for any one who may coming up to Whistler in the near future, only one week left for the alba truffle season.

Andre Saint-Jacques

Many thanks for the response. When I had originally posted I was unaware of the premium on the magnum and its rarity. With that information the 300% was not so bad given locale. I also agree that you are giving away the Insiginia at that price. I very much appreciate your response and as I noted to Oyster Guy privately, this would not in any way prevent me from going back to BB and my significant other and others had a fantastic time and the service was excellant. I suspect there just must have been some miscommunication with respect to ordering the wine.

This may be past the statute of limitations for complaining, but about 7 years ago, as 3 of us were sitting down to dinner at Bearfoot Bistro, the waiter began with "Would you like to celebrate the day of skiing with a glass of Champagne?". Caught up in his spirit, we failed to do what I normally do -- ask the price -- and assumed we would get a good Champagne at a reasonable price, kind of like ordering a house wine or a mixed drink. They served us Veuve Clicquot (which was their least expensive Champagne) -- at $35 per glass! Again, this was 7 years ago.

Obviously we should have asked, but nonetheless we felt this price was out of line. I should mention that the main reason I don't go there any more is that I feel their food, as well, is overrated and overpriced.

Edited by Bruce Burger (log)