• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: John Whiting

As a fan of savory, slow cooked foods, I love cassoulet. I must admit that I've only made it once myself, consumed a memorable version in Paris at a restaurant near the Louvre at lunch (we took the balance with us--it was too much, but made for a great breakfast the next day).

Last year a friend and I teamed up to make it for the main dinner at an annual 'Dad's and Kids' weekend ski trip (guess where the Moms were?). He used Julia's multi-part recipe that's very much in your style of 'make each part great' and then combine. I contributed the duck confit, he did the rest.

Your tradition brought that weekend back, and reminded me that it's time for a cassoulet, right here, right now. Once, that is, I've managed to acquire the appropriate tapered cassoulet vessel...

Happy birthday, and I will look forward to next year's celebration.

Marc

gallery_28660_2358_21444.jpg

Wonderful! Although, one hopes that the reclining lighthouse is not overly symbolic.

Best (late) Birthday wishes.

I was waiting for someone to pick up on that. Look again. It's an optical illusion stemming from the fact that we're seeing the inside of half a lighthouse, but interpret it as the outside, which is what we expect to see.

Whole books have been written about tricks of perspective such as this. Adam, you're not alone; I puzzled over the photo for more than a few seconds before I realized what tricks my eyes were playing. Is there an analogy to be drawn with the nasty tricks the food industry plays on us with artificial flavors? :hmmm:

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

"By popular demand", Mary has written up the terrine recipe:
Terrine des fruits

Mary's the real cook in our house. She's written six food books--and she bakes! :biggrin:

For fans of both John AND Mary, I can't help but point you to another site that includes recipes from both of them: John's thoughts and method for his tried and tested home version of Southern barbecue with as an added bonus Mary's pineapple rice salad. John's approach here is similar to his approach for cassoulet in perfecting a way to achieve authentic results in a home kitchen. It's one of my all-time favorites! But that, of course, is another story.

Speaking of artificial flavours etc, what natural extract did the blue for the icing come from? :wink:

Mary has her own method of making waves; she'll share it when she gets back from the Food Commission, where she helps to make waves of a different sort.

Mary did warn us that the color was artificial, but most of us, including me, ate it anyway. The plate with the uneaten blue icing was hers. I polished it off later when she wasn't looking. :laugh:

Edited by John Whiting (log)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Oysters, too!

Sadly absent from my birthday dinner was Hugh Macdonald, designer of my website and long-time companion on my travels. Hugh and Meg have gone off to Najac to restore the old Notary's House. I am green with envy.

But in the midst of redistributing the mediaeval dust, they did not forget the friends they left behind. This morning I took delivery of a dozen Loch Fyne oysters and a tub of smoked mussels!

gallery_28660_2358_86267.jpg

Tonight we shall partake of Huîtres Marinières, an extravagance wickedly suggested by Colin Spencer in his indispensible Fish Cookbook. As luxuries go, I would rate it above caviar. It’s a simple matter of simmering onions, shallots and garlic in olive oil, adding the oysters along with a very generous splash of white wine, and simmering until the oysters open. It’s made simpler still by the huge frying pan with a tight lid that I bought several years ago at Dehillerin, the great Paris cookery shop:

gallery_28660_2358_100482.jpg

Remove the oysters...

gallery_28660_2358_40740.jpg

...add a nub of butter and reduce the juices to ambrosial essence of seaside euphoria.

gallery_28660_2358_140829.jpg

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

John, your writing is as lovely as your cookery (and Mary's). Thank you, and Mary, for sharing your birthday celebration with us in such a lovely and informative way. I'm looking forward to making both cassoulet and that gorgeous terrine....and the tomatade, and any number of other luscious-looking dishes you've presented for us.

Here's wishing you many excellent years to come!

Edited as I remembered more of the glories of the week.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Mary makes waves...

I’m afraid that the blustery waves are merely coloured with Langdale’s green and blue food colourings mixed with white icing. I find the easiest way to make the wave shapes is to flick the icing on with a small (artist’s) palette knife. I always suggest to people that they might not want to eat such lurid looking stuff, and that I won’t be eating it myself, but rather to my surprise almost no one ever leaves any of it.

The marzipan, by the way, is based on mediaeval recipes, and includes brandy, sherry, lemon juice and orange flower water. I’m usually not that keen on ordinary marzipan, but this is something else again!

Mary Whiting

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

I’ve spent the last two hours of my blog watching the BBC TV drama, “Elizabeth David: A Life in Recipes”. I found it deeply moving--not so much for what it said, as for what it allowed to exist behind the dramatic surface. It covered only the middle part of her life and centered--as all modern biography must--more on her love life than her missionary zeal. But it nevertheless accomplished something rare. It conveyed with remarkable vividness that in order to do what she did, where she did it and when she did it, and to do it with such passionate wisdom, she had to be, like all artists, more than a little crazy. Thank you Elizabeth David: some of us in England, and even in America, are eating more wisely and more joyously because of you.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Thank you, John, for a truly exceptional blog. Belated birthday wishes and hopes that the coming year will exceed all the ones that have gone before...

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I've been following from the sidelines until now. What a warm and truly enchanting blog, John.

Sending you my best wishes for many more wonderful birthdays and cassoulets to come!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

And one last huge thank you. Long time fan now even more impressed by your cooking and writing abilities. Not to mention the cooking abilities of your very lovely wife, Mary. Wishing you both a wonderful year.

Edited by IrishCream (log)

Lobster.

Fabulous Oysters, John!

I can just taste it from here. I have prepared the same but oysters shucked first, and a dash of Pernod. I like the way they are packed in local seaweed too.

Thanks for a wonderful week,

John

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com