• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Identify this Italian pastry mystery...

Aria

Please help me name this Italian pastry / confection mystery:

- Obtained from an Italian bakery in Toronto

- Flown in just for Christmas

- Leaf shaped

- Gingerbready with candied fruit on the inside

- enrobed in dark chocolate

Thanks so much!!

There is a panforte tipo cioccolato, an excellent variety which is indeed enrobed in a layer of chocolate. However, I have never seen it in any shape except circular (plus a slight thickness, of course, so technically cylindrical). My inclination would be to very much doubt that what Aria is describing is any type of panforte.

Michael aka "Pan"

There is a panforte tipo cioccolato, an excellent variety which is indeed enrobed in a layer of chocolate. However, I have never seen it in any shape except circular (plus a slight  thickness, of course, so technically cylindrical). My inclination would be to very much doubt that what Aria is describing is any type of panforte.

The pastry I ate had candied fruit in it, was leaf shaped and had a thickness of about 1 cm in the middle, tapering at the ends,

thanks!

I agree with Mostaccioli as the culprit. I just returned from a trip to Campania and they sell them everywhere, both plain and covered with chocolate.

As usual the ones made in the smaller local bakeries were superior to the prepackaged versions from larger producers. They ranged in texture from firm but chewable to almost rock hard.