• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sichuan food in Guangzhou

jokhm

Here's a brief glimpse of one meal out of about 8 total, had last week in Guangzhou. I'll try and get the name of the place soon... but very well known, and absolutely packed. I get distracted coming in or out of restaurants like these, either from hunger, excitement or that stuffed feeling.

51714554-M.jpg

here's one cold and a few hot dishes

51714558-M.jpg

Koushuiji. Cold marinated chicken in chili oil.. best version I've had

51714564-M.jpg

Excellent Shuizhuyu hot oil fish

51714571-M.jpg

Slightly sweet beef rib slices on the bone, with little northern-style fried twisted breads

51714588-M.jpg

Pork belly thin sliced, similar to kourou, coated with rice powder and sitting on top of chunks of sweet potato

51714598-M.jpg

Really excellent Malamoyu.. Super hot, and extremely numbing cuttlefish!

Great stuff... the last few items were some fried greens, two plates of steamed beef(hamburger-like) stuffed into sticky rice hunks. And everything finished off with little coconut sago's.

Someone remind me to take my camera out more.

Thanks for the great pictures! I would like to know the name of that place so I could convince my family to go with me(they can't stand too oily or hot food).

By looking at the first picture, it seems like all the food arrived at once since all the dishes were relatively tidy.

51714571-M.jpg

Slightly sweet beef rib slices on the bone, with little northern-style fried twisted breads

Thanks for the beautiful pictures, jokhm.

They look very scary! ... to a native Hong Konger... too many chilies... :wacko: Do you really eat them all?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

By looking at the first picture, it seems like all the food arrived at once since all the dishes were relatively tidy.

I think all were waiting for the guest of honor to finish taking the darn pictures! :laugh:

No wonder people always say the best foods are all gathered in Guangzhou. Look those pictures, today’s Sichuan foods are more attractive than ever.

Some of the customer in Wuliangye are just back from Sichuan, and they joke about our foods are too “Classic.” The steamed pork belly with rice powder and the Kou Shui Ji口水鸡(Cold marinated chicken) are till looks as same as my father’s recipe. The 麻辣蘑芋“MMoyu” and 干扁麻花牛仔骨 (Beef rib and twist bread) are using Sichuan method to cook other cuisine’s common ingredients, and the 水煮鱼柳 (Fish filets in hot oil) has a totally new face. I also see the Cellophane noodle with minced pork 蚂蚁上树 at the left side of the table, and 呛炒青菜 Quick stir-fried green vegetables in the middle.

I am very curious about the fish dish, and have some questions:

1. What kind of fish they use?

2. Did they lightly fry the fish filets first? (From the pics, I guess NOT)

3. Did the chef still put celery and Napa cabbage? I only see the bean sprout.

Thank you, jokhm, your pictures are so great!

"All the way to heaven is heaven."

___Said by St. Catherine of Sienna.

Let's enjoy life, now!

Yes I will take out the camera more. Its my new years resolution. I took 9 thousand pictures last year that remain on my computer, and aside from some work-related shooting I have hesitated taking pictures much since then. But now I'm going to actively shoot food photos; big time.

This place was on the second floor... near TianHeLu.. But I'm not sure of the specifics. I will find out.. I just remember Guo in the name..

And for some reason I only remembered to take the camera to the LAST meal. Oh, you should have seen the Dimsum and Hunan food etc.

麻辣田鸡火锅。Frog hotpot... out of this world good.

And Qing, in my opinion Guangzhou indeed offers the best selection of Chinese foods from all over. The food we ate there was simply amazing.. and in April I'll be back! Yessss.

Oh, and about the Shuizhuyu, I don't remember the fish but I will ask. The chef did put some cabbage, but what was unique was the inclusion of 1cm thin strips of cucumber in there as well. Never had that. Was definitely one of my best shuizhuyus. Far better than what is universally declared best in beijing at Feitengyuxian.. which I don't understand myself.

Yeah I missed the noodles and green vegetables, among other things. I try to avoid keeping people waiting all that much!

Sichuan food is very attractive, often due to the beautiful red chilies. But we do NOT eat them all! Aghhk! Some can be eaten, and they are never nearly as hot as some other kinds of dry red chilies. These burst with flavour, but they still have lots of kick! Eating even half would require new plumbing in my apartment.

-- The drinks over to the side were just plain old beer. Nothing fancy.. but works with Chilies.

Edited by jokhm (log)

Lovely to look at, but this li'l ole Toyshan boy would suffer at both ends.

The food isi ndeed beautiful and delicious looking, but I can't drink beer or alcohol of any kind, so I guess I'd better lay off those chilis! :laugh: Must be the Toysan stock. :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The food isi ndeed beautiful and delicious looking, but I can't drink beer or alcohol of any kind, so I guess I'd better lay off those chilis! :laugh: Must be the Toysan stock. :wink:

They probably have some apple cider that looks just the same. :raz:

Hey jokhm, were they selling any Sichuan food ingredients on the first floor of this place? I could swear I ate at the same place in '95 .... in a building owned by the Chongqing municipal govt, I think. The decor (what little is visible in the photo 1) looks suspiciously familiar....

I'll have to figure this one out. No more picture posting without at least the restaurant name! One of the problems I had with this one is that the main floor was under construction. The restaurant was on the second floor, as many asked about... but then again, most good restaurants are on the 2+ floor! (??)

• 1 year later...