• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feed a Visiting Vancouverite

snacky_cat

Toronto folks -

Work is taking me to the University of Toronto for two weeks at the end of February. My breakfasts are taken care of by a catering place, but I (and a bunch of co-workers) need to find some places to forage for lunch and dinner.

Lunch options should be fast and close to College @ University. Dinner options should be somewhere on our walk home or not far off the path (from the aforementioned intersection to Bloor @ St. George).

We try not to spend too much (we have a $50 per diem but what you don't spend, you get to keep :smile: ), and we like to try all sorts of places. Dinner destinations should be late-friendly, since most nights we don't finish up until 9pm. Any good bars on the route too would be appreciated!

Mr. Cat might come out for the weekend in the middle of my trip, so I wouldn't mind recommendations for a really awesome, fun, romantic, charming, delicious, etc... joint somewhere downtown (preferably metro-accessible).

Thanks in advance!

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Hmmm....pretty restrictive criteria but I think that (noting that these are all going to be dinner places becuase I work in the financial core and have not been in the area for lunch ever), you may wish to try out Spaha on Harbord. Just look for the big Toronto sign hanging over the road. Across the street is Spendido for your "awsome" dinner choice when your visitor comes but this will not fit the pocket books for daily dinners - sadly. If you feel like walking over to Yonge/Wellesley Mammina's is pretty good for some good italian food. Wine is only marked up $5 above the LCBO price and you can bring your own wine so you can save a few bucks by bringing your own. I suspect this may be a fair walk from where you are staying though. I hear Gallery Grill is good but I have never been. I know of a few others that are good but out of the per diem range you have given. I know there are a bunch of pub style places but I do not think that many of them are that good in the area. Sorry I could not be of much help, although if you are willing to hop on the subway for $2.50 PM me.

officially left egullet....

Being a student at U of T and practically living next to it (just south of University & College), I'll just put down a few places for decent & relatively inexpensive places that I frequent and can still make it on time for classes with a 1 hour break for lunch.

Chinatown/Kensington (5-10 minute walk from campus): Saigon Palace, Pho Hung for Vietnamese; Ka Chi for Korean (it's just outside Kensington Market); Swatow, Gold Stone, King's Noodle House, House of Gourmet, Asian Legend for Chinese. Rol San's dim sum isn't too bad either. Most Chinatown places are open pretty late (some even till 3-4 am). Jules is a bit further down Spadina (past Queen) and is pretty inexpensive for French.

Baldwin Village (Baldwin & McCaul, just south of King's College Circle): A lot of restaurants here, although only one I've tried and found better than the rest is Bodegas. I like Fujiyama for Japanese. Yung Sing is a very popular chinese pastry shop during lunch hour. Mata Hari serves decent Malaysian although a tad bit overpriced (for a Malaysian student...8 dollars for char kuey teow, WTF!? In Malaysia it's only a dollar!).

There are quite a few bars near campus (for obvious reasons :raz: ), with the Duke of York and Gabby's being pretty close to where you're staying (roughly around the area behind Trinity College & the Faculty of Music). Not sure what kind of bar you're looking for though.

Most of these places would fit the bill for quick lunches and since are also fairly cheap, would maybe allow you & your co-workers to spend more for dinner at one of the swankier places around town.

third vote for Swatow but watch what time you go; past midnight, especially on the weekends, the place is full of drunken clubkids and it's not that pleasant to dine in. The food itself is not affected of course and still very, very good.

this thread had some suggestions for places near the University.

I recommend against dim sum anywhere downtown (more thoughts at this thread)...and I would imagine you have better options in Vancouver anyway. If you can get north of the city to Richmond Hill, you have better choices, but that's out of the subway range that you mention.

for bars, there's the Bedford Ballroom on Bloor near, well, Bedford...this is close to where you'll be staying. Standard bar stuff though.

third vote for Swatow but watch what time you go; past midnight, especially on the weekends, the place is full of drunken clubkids and it's not that pleasant to dine in.  The food itself is not affected of course and still very, very good.

this thread had some suggestions for places near the University.

I recommend against dim sum anywhere downtown (more thoughts at this thread)...and I would imagine you have better options in Vancouver anyway.  If you can get north of the city to Richmond Hill, you have better choices, but that's out of the subway range that you mention.

for bars, there's the Bedford Ballroom on Bloor near, well, Bedford...this is close to where you'll be staying.  Standard bar stuff though.

Well, the best place for Dim Sum (IMO) is Lei Wah Heen, and thats downtown...so lets not get TOO general :raz:

I thought Kensignton Market might be too far of a walk in the wrong direction but if not I would suggest La Pallete which is pretty damn good and a very good deal - as always ask for the "other" wine list. I have a very messed up sense of direction living and working within a few blocks of Bay and King. I do not get out as much as I should. :sad:

officially left egullet....

Anybody who is looking to eat cheap near U of T should consider New Ho King, at 416 Spadina (just south of College.)

It's not the fanciest of places, but for $3.25 you get a choice of a few big plates of decent Chinese food...

Fed me for many years at U of T - especially late nights.

Swatow is great too. Loud and busy. They have >100 numbered items on the menu, and all the waiters have the entire thing memorized.

Edited by gps-shag (log)

If you go along College about 2 blocks past Spadina and turn down Augusta into the Kensington area, there is a Mexican place - its name mentions tacos - on the lefthand side. Easy to find, pretty good and affordable, and a fun place if you're all dining in a group. Pretty authentic, from what I can tell. Try the homemade drinks, like the horchata or their coffee with cinnamon.

Same side a few metres farther there's Jumbo Empanadas which makes empanadas in the Chilean style with meats, the odd raisin, boiled egg and olive inside. Ask for salsa. Under $5 and enough for most people for lunch, and if not then order some of the other dishes as sides or a 2nd empanada. It's small, though, and not good if there are more than 3 or 4 of you. Very casual.

The same strip also has a few South and Central american hispanic food shops. Look inside and at the back and you'll find that they make papusas and you can sit and eat 1 or 2 in the store, served with a kind of cole slaw and a salsa.

If you go along College about 2 blocks past Spadina and turn down Augusta into the Kensington area, there is a Mexican place - its name mentions tacos - on the lefthand side.

The same strip also has a few South and Central american hispanic food shops.  Look inside and at the back and you'll find that they make papusas and you can sit and eat 1 or 2 in the store, served with a kind of cole slaw and a salsa.

The Mexican place is El Trompo. Try the Tacos al Pastor. Papusas are awesome as well - might be a little more akward with a large group - in the summer you could just take them outside. In the winter, there might not be much room to eat them. I think only one of the papusa places actually has seating, and for 5 or 6 people at that.

If you walk about 15 minutes or so directly west on College past Bathurst, you get to the College St "Little Italy" strip of restaurants and bars. The several blocks past Bathurst is chock full of bars and restaurants (dozens), many Italian, many not. If that doesn't sound too far, let us know, and I'm sure we'll chip in with some more (specific) suggestions.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Well, the best place for Dim Sum (IMO) is Lei Wah Heen, and thats downtown...so lets not get TOO general  :raz:

that's true...if snacky_cat is filling one of her travel suitcases with money before coming :)

don't get me wrong, I love it a lot, but I left it out due to the budgetary concerns she described...

If you walk about 15 minutes or so directly west on College past Bathurst, you get to the College St "Little Italy" strip of restaurants and bars...

Or why not - if they want to go that far - up along Bloor, past Bathurst to the Korean area? Lots of places there. Kimchi tchigae, pibimbap, suntobu tchigae and all that, with lots of free side dishes (if you know how to spot the more traditional places, as proper Korean restaurants are duty-bound to serve them) all for around $7 or $8 or less.

If you walk about 15 minutes or so directly west on College past Bathurst, you get to the College St "Little Italy" strip of restaurants and bars...

Or why not - if they want to go that far - up along Bloor, past Bathurst to the Korean area? Lots of places there. Kimchi tchigae, pibimbap, suntobu tchigae and all that, with lots of free side dishes (if you know how to spot the more traditional places, as proper Korean restaurants are duty-bound to serve them) all for around $7 or $8 or less.

Yes, absolutely. A bit further north, but maybe another 10 minute walk. And a direct subway ride home, or very short cab ride. I somehow always end up at Korean Village, but it's just one of several decent choices in that hood.

Kev, it's been a while for me eating up there and you're making me hungry. The Owl for pork bone soup is really good too.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are awesome!

One more question: as part of this event (a two week-long scientific workshop), we traditionally hold a final dinner for all the participants on the last Saturday night. We're looking for someplace walking distance from UofT or Bloor/Bathhurst that we can hold this year's dinner at. Basic requirements are;

-Can hold about 60 people, seated in large groups (8-20 - nice and communal)

-Offers a price per head menu with veggie, fish and meat options

-Reasonably priced (around $30-40/head, exlcuding alcohol)

-Not too adventurous for some people's palates (to prevent fussy eater-itis we usually go to a pasta or upscale casual-type place).

Any ideas?

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"