• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned sardines & other tinned seafood

wannabechef

Tried this today for lunch, on some Wasa, a sprinkle of lemon juice. I like cracked black pepper and thought they could have had even more. Fish was mild, meaty texture, light smoke. They were pretty fused together in the tin so I found it hard to pull out whole fillets (4 in the tin). Fish was from Latvia.

CB275EDD-C966-4B47-B5B3-EC730A958E2C.jpeg

FE4FED5F-C653-4033-B7ED-1B5A85F204EF.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 11/23/2022 at 8:35 PM, BeeZee said:

Tried this today for lunch, on some Wasa, a sprinkle of lemon juice. I like cracked black pepper and thought they could have had even more. Fish was mild, meaty texture, light smoke. They were pretty fused together in the tin so I found it hard to pull out whole fillets (4 in the tin). Fish was from Latvia.

CB275EDD-C966-4B47-B5B3-EC730A958E2C.jpeg

FE4FED5F-C653-4033-B7ED-1B5A85F204EF.jpeg

The label says the product is from the cold waters of the North Sea but you say it is from Latvia. The two are very far from each other and not connected - Latvia is on the eastern shores of the Baltic Sea. It appears similar to tinned sardines we get in our local shops. They are branded under the “Lucky Star” label, a fully South African brand, with the processing factory being across the bay from where I live. Reading the fine print on the tin it says “Product of Indonesia”. Questionable? Oh yes! 

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

11 minutes ago, JohnT said:

The label says the product is from the cold waters of the North Sea but you say it is from Latvia. The two are very far from each other and not connected - Latvia is on the eastern shores of the Baltic Sea.

I think she meant the company is Latvian, if not the fish.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The company is based in Maine. They contract with fisheries and canneries to produce a product tailored to their spec (while also producing some products themselves in North America). Latvia is one of the largest fish processors in Europe and their canneries handle fish from all over the North Atlantic. 

• Like 2

I've gotten through my stash from Portugal, so I'm back to UK supermarket product.

IMG_20221129_161821.thumb.jpg.442f608f0bd3feee8d14f16aeef7c27d.jpg

Nice box.

IMG_20221129_161925.thumb.jpg.e8554f3aa602100bd4cbe49ed0acfbc7.jpg

Filleted, skinless, boneless.

IMG_20221129_162023.thumb.jpg.37bc30b47e4e1d27ea16bcf6be6f9b2d.jpg

This has a fishier taste than the Portuguese cans, but less than the cheaper UK supermarket brands. Nice firm texture. The piccanti flavour is hotter than Pinhais', with a whole small red chilli providing the fire. I'll definitely try more from this range.

On the whole, the Portuguese canned fish seems closer to fresh fish. Perhaps the British taste is for a more thoroughly "cooked" fish? I used the term "denatured" earlier. How this relates to ageing a tin of sardines, i have no idea.

• Thanks 1

So, ongoing investigations. IMG_20221204_152737.thumb.jpg.86244bc80aab00dfbcb60d54926d03c6.jpg

Owned by the evil empire. IMG_20221204_152715.thumb.jpg.3da07d267b495788efdfa9ede7a4589b.jpg

Chilli flavour is very mild.  Some herbal notes from the bay and cucumber.

IMG_20221204_152631.thumb.jpg.b7f50e5e0b5d9cf9f57fcd838b14988e.jpg

The fish was definitely superior to John West own label, milder in taste, quite soft.

• Like 3

I've always bought the sardines with skin and bones intact, but recently opened a tin that have been in my cupboard for almost a year (they were in my stocking last Christmas!).  It was a tin of very cheap Bumble Bee skinless, boneless sardines.  I was surprised at the delicate, subtle flavor and would definitely buy them again. I guess I like both now.