• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned sardines & other tinned seafood

wannabechef

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes, the side-cutter, aka safety openers work very nicely and I recommend them for this type of can if your hand strength allows. 

181045E9-E8A3-4291-A131-CDB890A4EB20_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.04bd2d6ff586177d36f197d4d276abf9.jpeg

Apologies for the crappy photo.  The tin on the left was opened with a can opener.  The tin on the right was my pull-tab effort.  I can always get them started but that's about the best I can do. 

The lid removed by the can opener can be placed back on the can.  It's not going to seal it or prevent leaks if the can tips but it will foil a cat!

Bless you, thanks!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes, the side-cutter, aka safety openers work very nicely and I recommend them for this type of can if your hand strength allows. 

181045E9-E8A3-4291-A131-CDB890A4EB20_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.04bd2d6ff586177d36f197d4d276abf9.jpeg

Apologies for the crappy photo.  The tin on the left was opened with a can opener.  The tin on the right was my pull-tab effort.  I can always get them started but that's about the best I can do. 

The lid removed by the can opener can be placed back on the can.  It's not going to seal it or prevent leaks if the can tips but it will foil a cat!

I can also get started and then I think a hard pull with distressed hand will result in oil splash on me or counter. I have become adept at pliers - rolling like the old keys. A thought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

I can also get started and then I think a hard pull with distressed hand will result in oil splash on me or counter. I have become adept at pliers - rolling like the old keys. A thought.

That was exactly my issue. I find the side-cutter opener preferable to pliers but clearly, there’s more than one way to skin a tin of sardines 🙃

• Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 11:19 AM, blue_dolphin said:

there are all sorts of vintage porcelain and pottery sardine pots and boxes out there.  One could put together quite a collection if so inclined!

Oh, great.  Another obsession.

16 hours ago, btbyrd said:

My other sardine thing is this fork, which I only break out when company is coming over for sardines.

That is a-freakin'-dorable.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, weinoo said:

yeah, when I want to throw a party, but don’t want anyone to come, I let them know it’s a sardine party. And I’ll be using my finest sardine themed cutlery.  You’d be surprised how many people take ill at the last minute.

My life summarized in a a few seconds....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 9/8/2022 at 4:50 AM, Dr. Teeth said:

I despise fresh mackerel, having had it a number of ways.

If I could convince you to give it one more shot, try having it grilled in a Korean restaurant. Wonderful with all of the banchan...

• Like 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I was not quite sure whether I should post this here or in the “Unexpected food gifts” topic. It was not entirely unexpected because I did ask a friend to look for some mackerel in a can. 
Not yet sure how I am going to eat it or even if I will like. No idea how it compares quality-wise with others. All in all it will be an adventure. 2BE0F21E-812A-4861-8A80-4D03D586D15D.thumb.jpeg.7b7d0ca23a45843905650669db542a1f.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

That looks fantastic! I have only had Rizzoli's anchovies (which are delicious) but if I ever come across their spicy mackerel, it's going in my shopping cart for sure. 

Thank you. I appreciate that. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I think I need to explore these things more deeply.  I've enjoyed the Trader Joe's tinned smoked trout and sardines, and have found the Aldi and Lidl tinned herring in various sauces pretty tasty too... I have unpleasant memories of canned salmon, so have steered away from that stuff... In my closest grocery store I see a pretty minimal selection... Bumblebee branded stuff in bags and in cans, and Chicken of the Sea in bags and in cans, and the occasional tin of King Oscar.  I think I'm going to need to expand out in the search to H-Mart and the eastern European supermarkets an hour away... I recall picking up a tinned eel at the Korean market a few years back and found it not worth repeating... I guess next time I'm out in the direction of Netcost or Assi or H-mart I'll grab some cans and report back... 

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

15 hours ago, cdh said:

I guess next time I'm out in the direction of Netcost or Assi or H-mart I'll grab some cans and report back.

A place like netcost has tons of canned fishes.  However, I tend not to like that product as much as the stuff from the Iberian peninsula, France, the US, etc.

I look for wild alaskan salmon in cans - preferably a grade up from pink, something along the lines of sockeye or coho.  The places like Great-Alaska do a nice job.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

A place like netcost has tons of canned fishes.  However, I tend not to like that product as much as the stuff from the Iberian peninsula, France, the US, etc.

I look for wild alaskan salmon in cans - preferably a grade up from pink, something along the lines of sockeye or coho.  The places like Great-Alaska do a nice job.

That's useful. I imagine the processing tradition in the eastern Bloc was less sophisticated and picky than the Iberian/Mediterranean just as a result of the fact that only canning the good bits might have been a luxury they couldn't afford.   How about other geographies and the standards of their tinned fish? I feel for no rational reason like something from Korea/Japan would be beyond reproach just based on reputation for national persnickitiness and affluence, whereas China might cut corners since tinned fish are not a traditional part of the cuisine that take pride in... But how about stuff from Thailand, or the Philippines?  What about mid-Atlantic stuff from the Azores or Canaries?  Any tinned fish from the southern hemisphere that is worth tracking down?

Edited by cdh (log)

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

Is there a hierarchy of grades for canned salmon?  "Pink" is anything that is that color, no further questions asked?  Species specific is better because they don't have the option to throw the scraps from whatever into the "pink" can? 

24 minutes ago, cdh said:

Is there a hierarchy of grades for canned salmon?  "Pink" is anything that is that color, no further questions asked?  Species specific is better because they don't have the option to throw the scraps from whatever into the "pink" can? 

"Pink" is a species, and it's generally considered to be the least interesting culinarily. Coho and sockeye are superior, as canned salmon goes.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, cdh said:

That's useful. I imagine the processing tradition in the eastern Bloc was less sophisticated and picky than the Iberian/Mediterranean just as a result of the fact that only canning the good bits might have been a luxury they couldn't afford.   How about other geographies and the standards of their tinned fish? I feel for no rational reason like something from Korea/Japan would be beyond reproach just based on reputation for national persnickitiness and affluence, whereas China might cut corners since tinned fish are not a traditional part of the cuisine that take pride in... But how about stuff from Thailand, or the Philippines?  What about mid-Atlantic stuff from the Azores or Canaries?  Any tinned fish from the southern hemisphere that is worth tracking down?

It's not just the processing in the "eastern block". The quality of the fish is poor.

Portugal and Spain are well-known for the high quality fish and it is treated with respect. Portuguese sardines are widely considered to be the best.

Canned fish is as traditional in Chinese cuisine as anywhere else. It is very popular. It is the only canned food sold in most stores. Some is excellent; some less so.

Thai and Filipino canned fish is very controversial. Poor working conditions; accusations of slavery. Your choice.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 hours ago, cdh said:

Asked and answered.  By others!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Two cans of Bogar sardines from Toronto last week, the top one from Barcelona Gourmet on the Danforth, the bottom from Maselli's Supermarket a two minute walk down the street.

image.thumb.jpeg.28615a77bcd25664104ccc4740d5ee27~2.jpeg

Edited by Yaneidi
Rotated photo at poster's request (log)
  • Like 3

On 9/12/2022 at 5:51 PM, btbyrd said:

That looks fantastic! I have only had Rizzoli's anchovies (which are delicious) but if I ever come across their spicy mackerel, it's going in my shopping cart for sure. 

These were quite lovely and I would buy them again if the opportunity arose. The heat was gentle but present. Thanks. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog