• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cdh

cdh

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

A place like netcost has tons of canned fishes.  However, I tend not to like that product as much as the stuff from the Iberian peninsula, France, the US, etc.

I look for wild alaskan salmon in cans - preferably a grade up from pink, something along the lines of sockeye or coho.  The places like Great-Alaska do a nice job.

That's useful. I imagine the processing tradition in the eastern Bloc was less sophisticated and picky than the Iberian/Mediterranean just as a result of the fact that only canning the good bits might have been a luxury they couldn't afford.   How about other geographies and the standards of their tinned fish? I feel for no rational reason like something from Korea/Japan would be beyond reproach just based on reputation for national persnickitiness and affluence, whereas China might cut corners since tinned fish are not a traditional part of the cuisine that take pride in... But how about stuff from Thailand, or the Philippines?  What about mid-Atlantic stuff from the Azores or Canaries?  Any tinned fish from the southern hemisphere that is worth tracking down?

cdh

cdh

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

A place like netcost has tons of canned fishes.  However, I tend not to like that product as much as the stuff from the Iberian peninsula, France, the US, etc.

I look for wild alaskan salmon in cans - preferably a grade up from pink, something along the lines of sockeye or coho.  The places like Great-Alaska do a nice job.

That's useful. I imagine the processing tradition in the eastern Bloc was less sophisticated and picky than the Iberian/Mediterranean just as a result of the fact that only canning the good bits might have been a luxury they couldn't afford.   How about other geographies and the standards of their tinned fish? I feel for no rational reason like something from Japan would be beyond reproach just based on reputation for national persnickitiness, whereas China might cut corners since tinned fish are not a traditional part of the cuisine that take pride in... But how about stuff from Thailand, or the Philippines?  What about mid-Atlantic stuff from the Azores or Canaries?  Any tinned fish from the southern hemisphere that is worth tracking down?