• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I read that NY Times sardine article yesterday at work.  Pricy sardines however.  Nonetheless the article made me want to purchase some.  Amazon prices are ridiculous.  Supermarket Italy is more reasonable.

Still, what makes Portuguese little fishies so much more expensive than Spanish?  Not a trivial concern as my boss is a Spanish speaking Iberiophile, while her boss is Portuguese.

I too read the article yesterday. Did I miss something? I don't recall there being any comparison to Spanish sardines; everything in the article was based on a trip to Portugal. I have never tried the Nuri brand that the article highlights. Portuguese and Spanish tinned fish are both considered the best, which must be a magical blend of the quality of the fish caught off the the coasts of both countries and the care and techniques of the canning processes they have developed over many years.

I've tried various pricey sardines from Portugal and Spain, and so far the Spanish Matiz are my favorites. Right now Amazon (prime) is selling a 5-pack of Matiz for $17. So a can costs a little less than $3.50. Santo Amaro, a Portuguese brand, sells on Amazon currently a 12 pack for $36 which is a bit less per can. Those are good too, but I prefer the Matiz. The Nuri sardines sell on Amazon as a variety 4-pack for $27, or close to $7 a can. I'm sure they are good, but I'm not ready to spring for that.

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

48 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I read that NY Times sardine article yesterday at work.  Pricy sardines however.  Nonetheless the article made me want to purchase some.  Amazon prices are ridiculous.  Supermarket Italy is more reasonable.

Still, what makes Portuguese little fishies so much more expensive than Spanish?  Not a trivial concern as my boss is a Spanish speaking Iberiophile, while her boss is Portuguese.

I too read the article yesterday. Did I miss something? I don't recall there being any comparison to Spanish sardines; everything in the article was based on a trip to Portugal. I have never tried the Nuri brand that the article highlights. Portuguese and Spanish tinned fish are both considered the best, which must be a magical blend of the quality of the fish caught off the the coasts of both countries and the care and techniques of the canning processes they have developed over many years.

I've tried various pricey sardines from Portugal and Spain, and so far the Spanish Matiz are my favorites. Right now Amazon (prime) is selling a 5-pack of Matiz for $17. So a can costs a little less than $3.50. Angelo Parodi, a Portuguese brand, sells on Amazon currently a 10-pack for  $40, which is a bit more per can. Those are good too, but I prefer the Matiz. The Nuri sardines sell on Amazon as a variety 4-pack for $27, or close to $7 a can. I'm sure they are good, but I'm not ready to spring for that.

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

15 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I too read the article yesterday. Did I miss something? I don't recall there being any comparison to Spanish sardines; everything in the article was based on a trip to Portugal. I have never tried--or heard of--the brand that is spotlighted. Portuguese and Spanish tinned fish are both considered the best, which must be a magical blend of the quality of the fish caught off the the coasts of both countries and the care and techniques of the canning processes they have developed over many years.

I've tried various pricey sardines from Portugal and Spain, and so far the Spanish Matiz are my favorites. Right now Amazon (prime) is selling a 5-pack of Matiz for $17. So a can costs a little less than $3.50. Angelo Parodi, a Portuguese brand, sells on Amazon currently a 10-pack for  $40, which is a bit more per can. Those are good too, but I prefer the Matiz.