• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hypothetical question about 10 "top shelf" rums

Evangelos

In Marigot, St. Martin I saw a bottle of St. James ( from the late 1800's ! ) for a little over $1000 ...however since the rum doesn't continue to age after its bottled your actually getting a hundred year old... 8 year rum ...or something like that.

If your consideration is solely price, there are some Bally rums of oldest vintage I've seen was, I believe 1929, which was valued at $3500 for 700ml. But like most of the readers of this forum know, that is a rum that is spent a long time in a bottle and only a few years in a barrel.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

My wife had a fit when I recently spent $72 on a bottle of Goslings Old Rum. This thread is the perfect response!

Unfortunately we are sadly lacking in diversity up here in central NY, so most of what I'm reading about here is beyond my reach - geographically if not financially. Still, it's kind of fun to imagine what I'd do given the chance. My standard "high end" rums come down to Appleton Estate 12 (can't find the 21 around here), Mount Gay Extra Old, Barbancourt 15, and an occasional bottle of GOR just for a change.

What do you recommend for readily available $30-$50 rum? I lean towards darker rums with just a little water or a single ice cube to bring out the aromas.

Thanks, and it's nice to be here!

Mac

"If you want to sing out, sing out!"

Mad Mac, I too recently bought a bottle of Gosling's Old Rum, but haven't figured out if I like it or not. You've inspired me to go give it another try. The best rum in the price range you mentioned, in my not so humble opinion, is Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 y/o, and Diplomatico. Hope you can find them up there in the frozen tundra.

The best rum in the price range you mentioned, in my not so humble opinion, is Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 y/o, and Diplomatico. Hope you can find them up there in the frozen tundra.

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes out for them. The Gosling's is all gone, and I've begun alternating between Appleton 12 and Barbancourt 15 (I have an unopened bottle of 8 yr waiting). Isn't it nice there is such a variety? Mac

Mad Mac, I too recently bought a bottle of Gosling's Old Rum, but haven't figured out if I like it or not. You've inspired me to go give it another try. The best rum in the price range you mentioned, in my not so humble opinion, is Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 y/o, and Diplomatico. Hope you can find them up there in the frozen tundra.

I'm curious if you've made a decision on the Gosling's Old Rum. While I enjoy it, I didn't really find it that much better than the Gosling's Black Seal, and to me, definitely not worth the extra $50 or so.

I know others have far more sophisticated palates than I do, and can discern the subtleties of the Old Rum v. the regular Black Seal. What were your thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

While I enjoy it, I didn't really find it that much better than the Gosling's Black Seal, and to me, definitely not worth the extra $50 or so.

I agree, Kevin. As much as I like the Old Rum, the difference in taste did not make up for the difference in price. Although it's fun to spurge once in a while, in general I'll stick with Appleton XO or 12 yr, Mount Gay Extra Old, or Barbancourt 15 yr.

What I'd really like to find is some Appleton 21 yr, or the Ron Zacapa Centenario or Diplomatico that LunaSea recommended. Isn't it reat to have a hobby!?

Mac

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am a neophyte to fine rum due to my access to cheap Coruba, Goslings and Demerara. Nevertheless, I just love the bottle of Zaya that was supposed to be a gift.

Where does Zaya fall in the taste/value categories? It's priced around $52 in my hometown.

Tim

Mad Mac,

Upper New York isn't as bad for the rum collection as some other places. If you like the Barbancourt, you owe it to yourself to try their 5 star, which is aged 8 years. It the best value, and by many accounts, the best of the Barbancourt line.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.