• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charlotte, NC Knife Sharpening Services

Hampton

I would like to get several knives sharpened and found the following listings under "sharpening services."

Bladerunner Mobile Sharpening

Carolina Cutlery Svc

Cutters Edge

Grindtec Enterprises Corp

Sharp Time

Troutman's Sharpening Svc

Does anyone have any experience with any of these or any others? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dunno about any service in Charlotte, but if you don't mind sending your knives out just a little farther, I can wholeheartely recommend D&R Sharpening Services in Pennsylvania or Bob Kramer in Washington state. Both are excellent.

Dave Martell and his wife Robin are D&R Sharpening. They have a mobile service that handles a good portion of Philadelphia's restaurant and hair salon trade. They do excellent work at reasonable prices. They have only recently added Internet ordering/service, but the quality of their work is truly exemplary. You should see the reports from some seriously picky knife nuts/collectors. I have a custom Usuba that is just being a pain in the ass that I plan on sending him for a cleanup.

Bob Kramer is another source for pro level sharpening. His knives set the standard for every other custom kitchen knife on the market today. And, you know what? He's a nice guy. Take a look at his site. He has no reason to keep sharpening other people's knives, but he still does -- and to a level that will terrify the average user.

Before you send those knives off, though, take a look at the eGullet Knife Sharpening & Maintenance tutorial. You should be able to sharpen your knives yourself, but if you don't feel comfortable, this will at least give you a bettter idea what to ask for.

Take care,

Chad

edit: spellig

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I've used Cutters Edge a number of times. Since you have to take knives there, usually a group of friends get together and send everything at once.

Sur La Table also does knife sharpening,

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

I have tried Cutter's Edge, Myers Park Hardware and Sur la Table. I have to say the edge I got from Sur la Table was the best I have ever seen. I believe their prices are competitive as well. The only drawback is that you may have to leave your knives overnight.

• 3 weeks later...