• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Minus 8 !

I have been on a kind of a small quest for this vinegar called minus8 wich is produced in Ontario . I guess it could be called a ice vinegar. And it could be the canadian "balsamic".

Anyone knows if it is available in Montréal ?

visit my fondation: www.ptitslutins.org

I started a food blog : http://antoniodelaruepapineau.blogspot.com/

(in french)

I have been on a kind of a small quest for this vinegar called minus8 wich is produced in Ontario . I guess it could be called a ice vinegar. And it could be the canadian "balsamic".

Amazing stuff!!! I''ve been using their verjus for a few years which is indispensible right now to me....their wine vinegar is very versatile and I use it as I would balsamic...at the begining of the year I cook a lot of it down for a glaze which lasts half the season...I ordered on-line..only took about a week to get to me...I'm out in rural NB...I think it came from Sudbury or Niagara. Get some and keep Canadian cuisine going strong!

Cheers!

Markian

I'd rather live in a world without truffles than in a world without onions.

Amazing stuff!!! I''ve been using their verjus for a few years which is indispensible right now to me....their wine vinegar is very versatile and I use it as I would balsamic...at the begining of the year I cook a lot of it down for a glaze which lasts half the season...I ordered on-line..only took about a week to get to me...I'm out in rural NB...I think it came from Sudbury or Niagara. Get some and keep Canadian cuisine going strong!

Cheers!

Markian

You need to contact Rachel Thompson @ 905-329-3729. She is in Niagra Falls, ON. You can also reach her by email @ minus8vinegar@yahoo.c-m (add the o to com).

Tell her that I sent you. It probably won't help you with the price, but it might help me out and I would appreciate it.

It's an amazing product. Her client list is pretty much made up of places on the East Coast that are regularly discussed here.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The reason that I posted the info above is that I believe that she is in Montreal and I am pretty sure that there are some shops that sell it locally.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I spoke to Ms. Thomson this morning and she told me it is sold at Le Latina on St-Viateur in Montreal. I think 100 ml will set you back around $29.

It is a beautiful product. Boy, would I like to try it drizzled on some vanilla ice cream.

I spoke to Ms. Thomson this morning and she told me it is sold at Le Latina on St-Viateur in Montreal. I think 100 ml will set you back around $29.

It is a beautiful product. Boy, would I like to try it drizzled on some vanilla ice cream.

Le Latina does indeed carry it but the price is a hefty $34.99!

• 1 month later...

Thought it was worth mentioning that I just picked up a bottle of the Minus 8 at Latina, and it's priced at $29.99. I haven't cracked the wax yet, but I'm really looking forward to it!

Disclaimer: 1) a renunciation of any claim to or connection with; 2) disavowal; 3) a statement made to save one's own ass

• 5 months later...

It's also at:

Olive & Olives

(514) 526-8989

1389 AVENUE LAURIER EST

Don't remember the price, though... I imagine somewhere in Atwater Market would sell it, too, but wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Here's a link to a Halifax store that will send it to you:

https://maxvps016.maximumasp.com/V016U29NUS...an/products.asp

Malcolm

I went at Olive & Olive on Laurier and tasted it for the first time. It's amazing!!! Like a sweeter and richer version of balsamic vinegar. My bday is coming so hopefully I'll get it as a present. It's $35 for a 200ml bottle for those who wonder.

Just received my bottle yesterday. Can't wait to use it. Had to have a small taste and it is delicious. Any different ideas for using it??? I ordered through Amazon and it came through Aquaverve Specialty products.

I got my bottle last weekend at Olive et epices. $35 for 100 ml !

I had a taste : very sweet , you can taste the ice wine ! But with the little sour note. Had a very small amount on cherry tomatoes and new red onions , with sel de guérande and fresh black pepper ! Everything was wonderfull !!!!! So I guess this thread I started in january came full circle !

visit my fondation: www.ptitslutins.org

I started a food blog : http://antoniodelaruepapineau.blogspot.com/

(in french)

• 4 weeks later...
Well , I finally will get around to buy a bottle !

For people who used it , is it really all that incredible ?

I was a little hesitant at first, with the price tag and all....but I've had one bottle (open) for almost 2 years now,...You can sip it like a really fine ice wine! Absolutley amazing! And it really does taste great drizzled over vanilla ice cream and strawberries with cracked black pepper. My favorite so far besides sipping it straight is to reduce it slightly to thicken it and serve it with hot & cold foie gras, which I'm garnishing with cocoa nibs, spiced blueberries and bee balm poached peaches.

I'd rather live in a world without truffles than in a world without onions.