• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wylie vs Mario

moosnsqrl

Hands down, the worst judge I've seen is Martin Yan. Being relentlessly positive was bad enough but ALL the man ever says is, "Good flavor, texture contrast." C'mon! You watch car racing to see car crashes! Give me more moments like the judge's face as she was tasting Batali's ill-conceived unagi parfait. Pure gold!

FWIW, whenever I hear the term "molecular gastronomy" I imagine the Coneheads wearing chef's toques, saying, "We are from Spain."

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

FWIW, whenever I hear the term "molecular gastronomy" I imagine the Coneheads wearing chef's toques, saying, "We are from Spain."

FWIW, I think the "molecular gastronomy" movement started in France with Herve This & Pierre Gagnaire.

2317/5000

FWIW, I think the "molecular gastronomy" movement started in France with Herve This & Pierre Gagnaire.

Good lord, that means the Coneheads COULD actually have been molecular gastronomists!

Good lord, that means the Coneheads COULD actually have been molecular gastronomists!

Oui

2317/5000

Alas, I haven't watched ICA in ages, but I might hunt down this episode if only to hear Alton Brown utter this line quoted in the article: "Oh, my, dear Lord! Chef Dufresne is extruding! Oh! He's extruding . . . "

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Interstellar Molecular Gastronauts, seems to me a better way of putting it.

:wink:

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Whenever I hear the term "molecular gastronomy" I think of Hervé This explaining mayonnaise, but Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking would be a better example.

No outcome of an ICA show should ever surprise anyone, unless it appears designed to decrease ratings.

spelling

Edited by Bux (log)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Finally saw the ep in reruns. Interesting response to Dufresne from roommatesf, who was passing through the living-room and got sucked in. Within moments, he pronounced Dufresne "frickin' cool," and was impressed by his plating. Surprised me, given he usually laughs at my food-tv shows and is still working on being open to potatoes and to eggs. I totally agreed; Dufresne mopped the floor with Batali. (Though if Dufresne "mopped the floor with Batali," he could probably figure out a way to combine said moppings with a little Xanax* gum so he could extrude a creamy, smooth, and considerably more relaxed Iron Chef. Unfortunately, I doubt the judges would be able to taste the difference.)

I would have liked to see "Foster Farms chicken tenders battle" from these two.

*I know, it's xanthum. It's all about being open-minded about playing with language, unusual combinations of words, being surprised by new juxtapositions of meanings.... :biggrin:

This was/is good!

I think if Batali was extruded it might be a bit 'hammish'

Bux, sorry 'bout the non accent , my key code guy is whacked...

Finally saw the ep in reruns.  Interesting response to Dufresne from roommatesf, who was passing through the living-room and got sucked in.  Within moments, he pronounced Dufresne "frickin' cool," and was impressed by his plating.  Surprised me, given he usually laughs at my food-tv shows and is still working on being open to potatoes and to eggs.  I totally agreed; Dufresne mopped the floor with Batali.  (Though if Dufresne "mopped the floor with Batali," he could probably figure out a way to combine said moppings with a little Xanax* gum so he could extrude a creamy, smooth, and considerably more relaxed Iron Chef.  Unfortunately, I doubt the judges would be able to taste the difference.)

I would have liked to see "Foster Farms chicken tenders battle" from these two.

*I know, it's xanthum.  It's all about being open-minded about playing with language, unusual combinations of words, being surprised by new juxtapositions of meanings.... :biggrin:

2317/5000