• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining along the Oregon Coast

Eight of us are reaching our 5th decade in 2006. To celebrate we're traveling from the Midwest to the Oregon coast for several days this Fall. We'll probably rent a home for a week or so and make several wonderful meals at the home. But, we'll also have a few day trips where lunch or dinner out will be on the docket.

There are still a lot of details to figure out (like where we'll set up our home base), but I'm reasonably certain we'll be focusing on the coast from Cannon Beach to Florence. We may set up home base somewhere in the middle, Lincoln City?

Anyway, we'd like to enjoy the best the coast (and Oregon's vineyards) have to offer. Suggestions for dining options that show off Oregon: people, location, food and wine (beer, too). If you need more info, please ask I'll add what I can. Thanks!

Oh! As I said, we probably would cook in as well. If you want to throw in a good place to pick up a fresh catch, we'd be happy.

I was just at the coast for my annual birthday trip a couple weeks ago. We've stayed in the Lincoln City area for years and enjoyed eating at the Bay House there. This year, we stayed in Cannon Beach and loved it. The town itself is very charming with lots of great art galleries. Just north of town is Ecola State Park with one of the best views of the Pacific. We had dinner at the Bistro in town (not to be confused with another place just south of town with bistro in it's name) and loved it. Ate the night before at the Stephanie Inn, which gets alot of press, but were actually disappointed in the food.

If you're cooking in, Newport has a great harbor where you can sometimes buy from the fishermen. If you're coming through Portland on a Saturday or Wednesday morning, the farmer's market downtown is wonderful - opens in April, I believe and goes through mid December.

Heading out to the coast, find your way to the Carlton Winemaker's Studio. There are other threads on Oregon wineries with tons of info. Happy Birthdays! I'm also turning 50 this year......but heading to New Zealand to celebrate.

Thanks for all the dining options. We are coming in through Portland and the market is a great idea. Thanks.

Happy Birthday to you, too. New Zealand! Wish I could give you some pointers, but alas I can't (other than have a great time).

There's some ideas here Any Oregon Coast don't misses? and here Oregon Coast/Florence, The good, bad, and incomprehensible.

Hmm, a few more? Florence, Oregon Eats, help!

Oregon Coast recs, One more time

Northern Oregon Coast and North Willamette Valley, Trip Report

eating at the Oregon coast?

A few ideas to get you started. :biggrin: Some of the recommendations are over a year old and since the restaurant business on the Oregon coast is a fickle endeavor I would call ahead to make sure that they're still there.

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

• 2 weeks later...

As for Cannon Beach, I'll add a plug for Warren House Pub

3330 South Hemlock, Cannon Beach

(503) 436-1130

Homemade microbrews and a menu offering steak, seafood, daily soup and entree specials, smoked port ribs and more. Pool table, ocean view, and beer garden.

The menu is a little better than Bill's Tavern (especially if you like smoked foods), but I always try to stop in at both places whenever I'm down from Seattle.

There's some really nice smoked fish shops along the coast. I recommend trying as many as you can! In addition to Karla's in Rockaway, there's The Old Oregon Smokehouse. In Lincoln City there's Barnacle Bill's, and Mr. Bill's Smokehouse.

Hmmmm. A lot of "Bill" references. Purely coincidence!

akafun,

I don't make it too much farther south than Astoria most of the time so can't give you much help myself, but I took a look at the Daily Astorian's food articles and came up with this about an upcoming event that has marvelous food and several Cannon Beach chefs. Also, the recent Munchie Awards has a few places on the coast suth of Astoria. (go there soon and snag the articles, they only have them free for a few weeks, then it costs to get to the archives)

If you go to my site and look at the list of "Pacific Northwet" sites on the left sidebar, there are a few in Portland that also cover some coastal, and the Seattle sites travel to the coast a bit so you might want to check them too.

Have fun, it's a beautiful part of the world.

Warning: snotty comment follows....

From the Daily Astorian article:

Well, I do travel and dine at many fine restaurants throughout the United States and beyond. Know what? The Columbia-Pacific region’s top restaurants could hold their own anywhere, and The Depot, so-called because it’s housed in a former railway station, is no exception to this dictum.

When the 'Restaurant of the Year' features coconut prawns, chicken parm and linguini with clam sauce, I find this statement particularly hard to swallow. No doubt all these dishes can be delicious when done well, but on par with the best restaurans anywhere?? C'mon!

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I live in one of the areas you're referring to and have some suggestions. In Cannon Beach, The Warren House is usually reliable, and Bill's Tavern has good "pub food." The Bistro is good, too, although the locals say it isn't as good as it used to be. In Manzanita (which is a little ways south of Cannon Beach) there's a bakery called 'Bread & Ocean' that has great bread & cinnamon roles and wonderful take out lunches. Between Manzanita & Wheeler, a little ways up Hwy 53 is a restaurant called 'The River Inn' and it's supposed to be GREAT but has small, artistic portions. The little cafe in the little town of Nehalem called 'Wanda's' is really great for breakfast. For reliably good burritoes, etc, 'Left Coast' in Manzanita is good and affordable. If you travel further south and head towards the coast in Pacific City, there is The Pelican Brewery that has a GREAT view of the ocean and some of the best micro-beers in Oregon (and that's saying a lot)! Pass up Tillamook (except to pop into Tillamook Cheese--if you're into that). There is excellent sushi in the little wayside of Seal Rock. Those are my suggestions from a "local!"

We had a fine meal at the Waterfront Depot in Florence. But when we go to the coast, we usually stay in Rockaway Beach. And whenever we're there, we always go to Pirate's Cove (just outside Garibaldi) for fried oysters. The restaurant may not be the best on the coast, but the oysters are usually large and cooked to perfection.

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

In Cannon Beach, check out the Stephanie Inn for an elegant, fixed price meal. Bistor and Gower St. Bistro are also two of my favorites in Cannon Beach.

If you go to Nehalem, The Nehalem River Inn is a destination-restaurant on the Oregon Coast. Excellent food, service and ambiance here.

In Astoria, the Cannery Cafe, Fulio's (Italian) and Silver Salmon Grille are all great. Cannery Cafe has gorgeous views of the Columbia River.

Any specific questions, just ask! I'd also check out the Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe in Gearhart for eclectic cuisine in a homey setting. We dined here about once a week while we were on the coast the majority of the summer last year. Cheers! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from another visit to the Oregon Coast! We had many fine meals which included the Ship Inn in Astoria, Bigfoot Pub n Grub in Seaside and the Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe in Gearhart.

All three of these places remain consistent and are great choices to dine while on the Oregon Coast. We also had some award-winning clam chowder from Norma's Ocean Diner. The atmosphere here is very casual, we like to take the chowder back to our beach cottage.

Gower St. Bistro is the place to go in Cannon Beach. We had a very nice dinner there which included the Pacific Northwest Salad, the crab cakes and creme brulee for dessert. A not to miss dessert here is the chocolate pot de creme which they were unfortunately out of when we dined there. (They have recently opened Everett St. Bistro in Portland.)

We really enjoy our culinary experiences in this area. There are lots of great options for casual and fine dining on the Oregon Coast. Cheers! :)

If you find your way as far south as Bandon, my friends are opening up Alloro Wine Bar & Restaurant (grand opening tomorrow night).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

akafun -

I drove down the Oregon coast a year ago October. Lincoln City was my favorite stay on the trip (I was going from Seattle to Phoenix). There's a new Best Western (south end of town) that actually has working wifi :smile: Had dinner in a little non-descript, fish-n-chips kind of place a block off the main drag - decent food, and I believe they have a view when it's not pitch black outside! Lincoln City is now on my 'Gotta go there during the summer' list!

No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead