• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meat Question for Aussies

Allooo ..

My English born husband lived in Aussie/NZ/PNG for the better part of 30 years. His culinary experience is heavily influenced by his time there. Now that he lives in NYC I have been introducing him to many of the foods important in my life. Recently the topic of "best steak" came up. I described a Porterhouse as a very large T-bone steak, usually served for two. His recollection, and palate remembers a much smaller steak, not related to a T-bone at all.

Can someone shed some light on this? Is it a completely different cut than what we call it in the US?

~tug

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

Porterhouse is basically a big T-Bone (more fillet).

Sirloin/New York Strip (depending on were in the world you come from) on one side, fillet on the other.

That's my understanding but I grew up in Oz and have cooked in Europe, Asia, the US and Australia so my understanding could be a little warped compared to the average Aussie.

Then again, I have seen some pretty crazy stuff served up in places in Australia that just are nowhere close to what they are calling themself.

Who knows....

CHEF JOBS UPDATE - September 07 !!

Latest global Chef jobs listing and news now available!

Take a look online here:

http://www.hostec.com.au/newsletters/chef/sep07/

What we call Porterhouse here is the Sirloin/New York Strip side of the T-Bone. The other side is of course the fillet.

We do serve T-bones here too but never for two!!! :wink:

It sounds to me like this is what he is referring to. As a participant in the Aussie meat industry, I hope my information is correct, however am willing to be corrected if needed.

Hope this is of use.

Cheers,

Doc-G

My 2cts worth:

Every steakhouse in Melbourne I've rocked up to, and to name two, say, Lazar's and Vlado's... and every self respecting pub... would serve up the sirloin/New York Strip alone, no bone, no fillet, as a Porterhouse.

And come to think of it, Gaucho's in Adelaide do the same.

And to think of it even more, most pubs and also that restaurant in the GPO in Sydney, um, Banc?... would serve up the latter description of a Porterhouse.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

tug,

Check out www.virtualweberbullet.com and look under meat charts. They have side-by-side comaprisons of meat cuts from a few countries. It includes beef, lamb and pork.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

thanks very much everyone! :smile:

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much