• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant in Morristown, Basking Ridge

scarlet knight

For BYO maybe Tim Schaeffer's across the street from the Headquarters on Speedwell. In Basking Ridge you might want to try Asada, in the Lyons Mall, which tries to be Tex Mex or just upscale Mex. You'll end up with chips and salsa and some better than average versions of that type of cuisine. I'd bring beer. The other places in BRidge that are BYO aren't worth the trouble, imo.

I like La Campagna in Morristown.  It's Italian and byo and I think the food is excellent.  It is sometimes difficult to get reservations on the weekends though. :sad:

I thought about this place too but wasn't sure if they were still around. I haven't been in a while but always thought the food was very good. The service was a little slow and we waited for too long on two occassions to get the check. Strange, I thought once you were finished they wanted you out so they could turn the table.

I think I'd still go to Tim Schafer's for a Morristown BYO and Cinque Figlie is a lovely restaurant but their wine list is expensive.

I like La Campagna in Morristown.  It's Italian and byo and I think the food is excellent.  It is sometimes difficult to get reservations on the weekends though. :sad:

Respectfully disagree, La Campagna is an overpriced, super-ordinary red-sauce place. Lasagne and Veal parm. Head for Tim Schaefer's.

Any recommendations? Going out with 2 couples. Prefer BYO.

I've liked Tre Vigne and Bernards Inn, but they both serve wine Great list at both locations. They are in the Bernardsville area.

BYOB Sirin and Adaman. In Morristown if you like Asian. But if you are going that route most consider Origin the best.

I also love Sushi Lounge in Morristown. Japanese.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Respectfully disagree, La Campagna is an overpriced, super-ordinary red-sauce place. Lasagne and Veal parm. Head for Tim Schaefer's.

I've never thought this way about La Campagna; I've had a fair number of meals there that were prepared in a more northern Italian style, quite well at that.

You might also consider La Campagna's sister restaurant down the road in Madison, Il Mondo Vecchio. I find the room more comfortable and the food a bit better.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Just also thought of the Pluckemin Inn, in Pluckemin. Gorgeous place, great food. Don't remember if it's a BYO, though.

You do have a wide geographic range here, Morristown is a long way from Bedminster... That's why I originally thought Morristown and forgot about this great place.

You might also consider La Campagna's sister restaurant down the road in Madison, Il Mondo Vecchio. I find the room more comfortable and the food a bit better.

I didn't realize this connection. I thought that the sister restaurant of Il Mondo Vecchio was Scalini Fedeli, are all three of these places related? The one time I ate at Il Mondo Vecchio, this was years ago, the place was very loud. The food was good but I never did go back.

edited for spelling and grammer

Edited by dbrociner (log)

I can't say enough good things about Origin. Thanks to Rosie for steering our party there a month or so ago. Food is tremendous and service is extremely competent and gracious.

You will love it there, reserve ahead.

We've been back twice since and it's an hour drive from our PA home

Jeff

I can't say enough good things about Origin. Thanks to Rosie for steering our party there a month or so ago. Food is tremendous and service is extremely competent and gracious.

Jeff

Have you been to No. 9 restaurant in Lambertville? That's really close to you, and we feel about No. 9 the way you feel about Origin. We wish it were a lot closer than 80 miles away from us!!

And I must respectfully disagree with you. The prices may be a bit high but I find it far from being a "super -ordinary red sauce" place. In fact the dishes are quite creative and there is no lasagne or veal parm even on the menu!

I haven't been to Tim Schaefer's but I have heard some very good things and plan to go in the near future.

I also love The Bernards Inn which has already been mentioned but it certainly isn't a byo place!

Edited by lmkennedy53 (log)

Lori

Jeff

Have you been to No. 9 restaurant in Lambertville? That's really close to you, and we feel about No. 9 the way you feel about Origin. We wish it were a lot closer than 80 miles away from us!!

It's funny you should ask this question as we were just talking about this place the other night. The answer is we have not yet gone but plan to soon. We are indeed close (about 20 minutes) but it seems we are always going to other places in Philly or just elsewhere other than Lambertville. We also like Hamilton's Grill Room particularly for the fish. We used to go there more often but haven't been in a while.

I think it's time for us to get to #9 as more than a few people whose opinions we respect have liked it very much, and of course it was well received here in EG.

You know we all know just a very few people who really understand good food, quality ingredients, honest preparation and great service and just "get it" and when more than one says to go to a particular place -we go.

And I must respectfully disagree with you. The prices may be a bit high but I find it far from being a "super -ordinary red sauce" place. In fact the dishes are quite creative and there is no lasagne or veal parm even on the menu

Yes, I was just using hyperbole when I said lasagne. But their dishes are the same things you can find at scores of other "Italian" restaurants in New Jersey.

I also take a dim view of the use of the phrase "Northern Italian" in these restaurants. The North of Italy is quite varied, in Liguria you have an extensive use of pesto, with green lasagne, and a special unique thick pasta known as trophie. Piemontese food, (look for it on the upcoming Olympics) has anchovies in green sauce, dipping veggies in a bagna calda sauce, stuffed pasta (totally unlike ravioli) called agnolotti. In Venice look for Liver dishes (fegato) and seppie a black squid ink used as a pasta suace.

One of the few restaurants on this side of the pond to have this kind of stuff is Babbo in NYC. So, really, the use of the phrase "Northern Italian" is a hoax, and these restaurants should really say "Italian-American" The food may be tasty, but so is a hot dog. I want something more in a nice restaurant.

I didn't realize this connection. I thought that the sister restaurant of Il Mondo Vecchio was Scalini Fedeli, are all three of these places related? The one time I ate at Il Mondo Vecchio, this was years ago, the place was very loud. The food was good but I never did go back.

edited for spelling and grammer

The sister restaurant of Il Mondo Vecchio is Scalini Fedeli which is owned by Michael Cetrulo. La Campagna is owned by Joe Cetrulo (Michael's brother).

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE