• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Food Guide 2006

PCL

Hi Gang, first post of 2006 for me, so Happy New Year and hope you've all had a good and safe holiday.

Now, I received a copy of the 2006 Melbourne GFG in my stocking. I'd never ever bought it for myself, and can honestly say, it's the first time I've ever owned one. So it was good to see old favourites talked about and it proved a winner in terms of conversation starters with friends. Happy happy so far.

Then last week, Mrs PCL and I decided to pack up the car and head out bush. Through Lake Eildon, Mansfield, Bright and on to the High Country, descending into Omeo, Bairnsdale, then Sale, then home. I'd brought the Guide along for some light reading, but never got around to it. Got hungry on the way back from Bairnsdale yesterday and decided to take a look to see if anything was worth stopping for. Sale was coming up and I decided to hunt down the F&C fish and chippery listed in the Guide on page 237. Finding the address was easy enough, on the turn off to head back to Melbourne on the A1 Princes Hwy. No restaurant. Called the number, no service. Drove into KFC, finally defeated, asked at the counter, and was told, the place closed down 6 months ago.

Now, I'm sure that the Guide gets checked and checked and can't be faulted for the occassional error. But this, I thought, a little strange. If it's in there, and then closed, why? Maybe they should do a piece on such phenomena in epicure. Who knows. Disappointed as I was, I decided to share, and see if anyone else has any experiences with the Guide, Melbourne, Sydney, wherever, so long as it's Aussie.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Drove into KFC, finally defeated, asked at the counter,

I'll go out on a limb here.

I still say Colonel Sanders deserves a Chefs Hat for bringing us all such awesome chicken.

*takes cover*

CHEF JOBS UPDATE - September 07 !!

Latest global Chef jobs listing and news now available!

Take a look online here:

http://www.hostec.com.au/newsletters/chef/sep07/

I'll go out on a limb here.

I still say Colonel Sanders deserves a Chefs Hat for bringing us all such awesome chicken.

*takes cover*

Hang your head in shame. He deserves 2 chefs hats. As the truckie in the ad implies, it's the fresh (not frozen) Inghams chicken that makes all the difference.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

I decided to hunt down the F&C fish and chippery listed in the Guide on page 237.

Speaking of the countryside and fish and chips, I've just returned from Nelson Bay in NSW. As you'd expect from a seaside town, they've got sensational fish and chips, with Bubs Seafood being our favourite (and only) choice.....I went there 5 times in about 9 days. The fish was caught fresh that morning, the portions were very generous, the beer batter was perfect, and the chips were very good.

I can't stand the original recipe chicken shit. When I was a boy in Malaysia, the KFC, or Kentucky as it's better known over there, was always crispy and tasty. Only the Zinger burger product comes close.

What got me though, about this whole little misguided, pun intended, adventure, was that the kind soul at KFC, that innocent adolescent working for peanuts, would be more up to date, and spoke with more authority than one of the country's premier dining guides. Blah blah about liability and so on and so forth, but is it really too much to ask that someone rings around all the places in the guide to make sure that hey!!!... they're still trading!!!!! I mean, it won't stop the press, but perhaps a cute little errata/corrections/update sheet inserted into the back cover might be good?

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

I can't stand the original recipe chicken shit. When I was a boy in Malaysia, the KFC, or Kentucky as it's better known over there, was always crispy and tasty. Only the Zinger burger product comes close.

I hope you watched South Park last night. It featured KFC.