• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kitchen aid stand mixer

anvi

Lots of my friends swear by the Kitchen Aid stand mixer in order to make chapati,poori dough.I would like to know all of your views/opinion about it.I have been told that one must buy atleast a 300 watt mixer if it is to be mainly used for dough.I did have a food processor which i used for making dough but it gave out pretty soon.It was very convinient though.Do help me here as i am sorely tempted to buy one.How far is it useful in everyday Indian cooking,apart from making dough.

Thanks

A

I have been using a 250 watt 28 year old KA for making heavy pasta dough for years and no problem. If it is for home use, in other words one or two batches I don't think you need a more powerful machine. However, if it is for continuous use -- get the biggest machine that you can.

Anyone else have an opinion?

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

If you're looking at a stand mixer specifically for roti/chappati (but may use it for other things), then I'd forgo the purchase. Unless you're making very large batches, it's so easy to make (and it doesn't really require that much kneading) that a stand mixer seems like overkill to me.

I wonder what kind of food processor you were using that gave out so quickly. For the preparation of Indian food, I would think a good food processor (Cuisinart, KA) would be more useful. You can use it to chop vegetables, etc.

KitchenAid is an excellent machine and you can get some wonderful attatchments. That said, if you do a lot of Indian cooking, consider also the Sumeet Asia Kitchen Machine $ 165 including shipping. Includes numerous attatchments for making dough and grinding spices etc. Google for details.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

I have been using a 250 watt 28 year old KA for making heavy pasta dough for years and no problem.  If it is for home use, in other words one or two batches I don't think you need a more powerful machine.  However, if it is for continuous use -- get the biggest machine that you can. 

Anyone else have an opinion?

Jmahl,

thanks for the response.I would be using the KA for home use,mainly dough ,about 2,3 cups of whole wheat flour .I am very reassured by the fact that you have been using it for 28 years.I have often been tempted to buy the 250 watt KA -so maybe now i can go ahead and get it.

BBhasin,

The asia kitchen machine sounds good too and it sprice would be comparable to a 250 watt KA.however i have never made much use of the processor i had except for dough..so i am more inclined to the KA and have my blender tackle the other tasks around the kicthen.

Anvi--I received a KA stand mixer for Christmas and am so intimidated by it I have not used it yet! Perhaps someone might direct me to a thread or two that can get me going. At this moment I am babying a sourdough starter and by the weekend hope to whip out some bread but I could use advice and recipes... sorry I cannot help with your question (except that I love making chapatis by hand :biggrin:) but it thrilled me to see a reference to the KA here on eG. Thank you!

I received a KA stand mixer for Christmas and am so intimidated by it I have not used it yet

Indeed an impressive piece of kitchen equipment, but don't be intimidated.

Has almost every attachment that is made, from Grain Grinder to Ice Cream Maker, ours is about 12 years old and gets frequent use. Hasn't killed it yet.

I received a KA stand mixer for Christmas and am so intimidated by it I have not used it yet

Indeed an impressive piece of kitchen equipment, but don't be intimidated.

Has almost every attachment that is made, from Grain Grinder to Ice Cream Maker, ours is about 12 years old and gets frequent use. Hasn't killed it yet.

Thanks for the chuck on the chin jw46 :smile: . I don't want to divert the direction of this thread but...--have you any direction for me on recipies with the basic attachments?

Thanx,

JCD

• 2 months later...

I have had a Kitchen Aid mixer since 1982-bought it for making wedding cakes and frosting back then.I use it every day STILL.......and mostly for making dough for italian, french breads, tortillas and chapatties -rotis.EVERY day.Thank goodness for this mixer.I have MS now and can't use my hands much anymore. I would have to forgo breads entirely if it were not for tjhis heavy duty mixer.The doughs come out great for chapatties......don't hesitate to use this for that. It works great.

I also have a sumeet mixie! I'd never think of using that for dough.Mostly I use the grinder jar for chutneys and podis and the other jars for things like smoothies etc. Between the KA and the sumeet, I don't need anything else.They are the strongest machines (IMHO) in India and the US.

I am very happy with both of these and I would not hesitate to advise someone to get them both.Between these two everything is covered!

please note that the 20+ year old KAs likely were Hobarts; the newer ones aren't made by Hobart and have had some negative press in terms of kneading heavy doughs [not mixing, kneading] because the now-plastic gear breaks - just depends on what kind of work you'll be putting it through