• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hubig's Pies has reopened

Cucina

THanks Kevin,  I just placed my order - pineapple, coconut and lemon.  And the shipping to the midwest is also $4.95.  Pretty cheap considering how much some companies charge to ship stuff. 

And I have had the melted treats from that machine at UNO.  Kind of line drinking a candy bar.  :laugh:

Exactly! I remember watching them stock it, wondering where in the chain of command someone decided this was a good idea. You could always resolidify them by dropping them into a frozen daiquiri from up the street, though.

$4.95 to NH, too, maybe that's their flat domestic rate during the discounted shipping special. Between Hubig's, Zapp's, and Poche's, I think my Christmas and New Year's dinners have just been planned out. If only someone here carried Dixie.

THanks Kevin,  I just placed my order - pineapple, coconut and lemon.  And the shipping to the midwest is also $4.95.  Pretty cheap considering how much some companies charge to ship stuff. 

And I have had the melted treats from that machine at UNO.  Kind of line drinking a candy bar.  :laugh:

Exactly! I remember watching them stock it, wondering where in the chain of command someone decided this was a good idea. You could always resolidify them by dropping them into a frozen daiquiri from up the street, though.

$4.95 to NH, too, maybe that's their flat domestic rate during the discounted shipping special. Between Hubig's, Zapp's, and Poche's, I think my Christmas and New Year's dinners have just been planned out. If only someone here carried Dixie.

In my building (the palatial Xerox center in Beautiful Kenner (It's a Winner!)), we have not one, but two flavors of Hubig's at all times. Usually it's Apple and Lemon, but this week, we are featuring Coconut, which happens to be my favorite. The only problem is that they are located on the top rows of the machine, and when the little wire screw spins them off and they drop to the bottom, sometimes they break open-making them no less delicious a treat, but a hell of a lot harder to eat.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

My pies just arrived! Safe and sound. I was curious how they'd be packed -- I've never ordered any food this fragile that wasn't also perishable and shipped in a cooler with dry ice -- and they're in a toaster-sized box with little partitions (you know, like you'd pack Mason jars) in which the pies are standing upright. I've only had one but it's in perfect condition.

It's been two and a half years for me -- last time I was in Louisiana, I was in Lafayette and no one had Hubig's there (I made up for it with boudin). I forgot just how much I love the crust.

My order came in earlier today also. They ship DHL and over night. We ate more than one and I did take one (lemon) to my hairdresser because I showed up late for my hair cut. Over all, I am totally impressed with the service. I will be ordering some more of these babies.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

The pies arrived Wednesday (overnight), even though the tracking email said 2nd day express. The peach was excellent and the coconut was great too. It was all I could do to not try one of each flavor at one siting.

Even if the shipping goes up from $4.95, hopefully it won't be too much as this a pretty reasonable indulgence.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

• 3 weeks later...

I was just handed 4 slighlty squished pies by a co-worker...should I open em now huh huh huh?????

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I just had the last one this morning...pineapple YUMMY

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 9 months later...

The New Yorker's Dan Baum visited the Hubig factory:

The Pie Men (New Yorker Blog)

Otto Ramsey, one of the owners, gave us a tour of the cement-block bakery, which Simon Hubig opened in 1927. (The company is owned by the son and the nephew of the men who bought into the company in the nineteen-forties and fifties.) Hubig’s cooks all its fillings, mostly from actual produce—evaporated apples, fresh-frozen strawberries and cherries, whole raw sweet potatoes in the fall—and buys locally as much as it can. (Much to Ramsey’s regret, Hubig’s makes do with canned peaches and pineapples.) The company now uses liquid corn sugar in addition to cane, but otherwise its recipes haven’t changed. Hubig’s dough is made with ninety-nine-per-cent animal fat. “We’ve got the trans fats down to 0.65 per cent,” Ramsey said proudly.

Lucky man, he got to eat a fresh pie. He also has the story of how other local businesses helped Hubig's get back into operation after the storm. As Baum points out, Hubig's is a one of the few factories left that operates in a residential neighborhood

Edited by TAPrice (log)

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)