• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A pictorial guide to Chinese cooking ingredients

油鹽菜心

Is that a proper term? Can't say I've ever heard of it ordered that way.

are those the characters for Yow Yim Choy Sum?

that is the way Yow Yim Choy Sum was described in one of my cookbooks but when I have asked for it at a restaurant, I have been asked which sauce, garlic or oyster sauce, I want the vegetable with...I have had to specify that I want it plain!

I agree with Chee Fai. The way this 油鹽菜心 (Yow Yim Choy Sum) is named is a bit odd in Cantonese.

What you want... mostly is referred to in Cantonese as:

清炒菜心

(Pronounced Tsing Chow Choy Sum).

"Tsing Chow" means "vegetable only" (without meat). It is fairly universally understood that the vegetable will be stir-fried with salt and garlic.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Or you can say (but less common):

蒜蓉菜心

(Pronounced Tsueen Yung Choy Sum).

This is more specific: minced garlic stir-fried with choy sum.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Or you can say (but less common):

蒜蓉菜心

(Pronounced Tsueen Yung Choy Sum).

This is more specific: minced garlic stir-fried with choy sum.

but what I what is choy sum without garlic...just oil and salt!

what would be the name and the Chinese characters.

BTW I got my original name from a cookbook and it said that this was the best way to test the wok hay capabilities of the chef.

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

• 3 years later...

Reviving this old topic to ask if someone can identify this:

image.jpg

I am guessing it's a chile bean sauce of some kind but beyond that....

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a jar of Laoganma black bean sauce that looks like that (specified in Fuchsia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice)

The label design is slightly different but from what I can see the characters are the same and contents look similar...

http://www.amazon.com/Lao-Black-Bean-Chilli-Sauce/dp/B0051D84GI

edit (actually that jar on amazon is slightly different - my one has the same characters in white across the top as yours)

Edited by jameswilliam (log)

I have a jar of Laoganma black bean sauce that looks like that (specified in Fuchsia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice)

The label design is slightly different but from what I can see the characters are the same and contents look similar...

http://www.amazon.com/Lao-Black-Bean-Chilli-Sauce/dp/B0051D84GI

edit (actually that jar on amazon is slightly different - my one has the same characters in white across the top as yours)

I have a suspicion that the many iterations of very similar labels are, in fact, different products. Hoping someone fluent in the language can chime in. Thanks for your input.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I have this brand in my fridge, but it might not be the same kind as yours. Mine has crunchy bits in it - I think it has chili, shallot, garlic, Szechuan pepper. I've had the black bean one, but don't like it as much. My brother calls it "Old Dried-up Mother sauce". I use it as a condiment, or add it into whatever needs a slightly spicy kick (like peanut sauce or dipping sauce for last night's dumpling dinner....).

What are you planning to do with it?

Oh man, Laoganma stuff is like crack. I have the one Beebs mentioned, it's called "spicy chili crisp" in English. I use it with dumplings and as an all purpose spicy condiment alternative to plain chile oil or shichimi togarashi

Edited by Hassouni (log)

It is a Lao Gan Ma (老干妈) chile sauce.

The black writing at the bottom reads 风味鸡油辣椒 which means "Tasty Chicken Fat Chile Sauce"

Thank you so very much. Can you tell us where and how this might be used?

There are many different labels on this brand of sauces. Is there any key to help us westerners figure out what is what?

My 2004 eG Blog

I use it as a dipping condiment with noodles in any form: soup, stir-fry, dumplings, anything savoury. Love the heat, crunch, and sometimes the peanuts in the sauce.

I am sure you can use it in stir-fries too, for that kick.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I like lao gan ma but I've found that it doesn't seem to play well with others. Anything you mix it in tastes unmistakably like lao gan ma and that has to be the effect you're after. It's never been a general purpose condiment to me the same way sriachia or soy sauce is for example.

PS: I am a guy.

The black writing at the bottom reads 风味鸡油辣椒 which means "Tasty Chicken Fat Chile Sauce"

First apologies. My translation is a bit off. Omit the work "sauce" at the end. I was in a bit of a rush to get to work.

The company themselves translate it as "Flavoured chicken chillli" and list the ingredients as chicken, chilli, vegetable oil, gourmet powder (MSG), salt、sugar、sesame oil 、prickly ash (Sichuan Peppercorns). The italics are my additions.

There are many different labels on this brand of sauces. Is there any key to help us westerners figure out what is what?

Yes, They have a website in English here.

Can you tell us where and how this might be used?

As has been said, as a dipping sauce or to perk up s stir fry. It's used fairly indiscriminately. I never use any of the Lao Gan Ma products. They are slapped onto nearly everything, much like tomato ketchup in the west. I would be happy never to see or smell or taste them again! Sorry.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I will concur with others than the LGM stuff has a VERY distinctive taste - I don't really use it much in cooking - only as a condiment where it's taste will complement the food rather than clash with it.

i would translate 风味鸡油辣a as chicken-flavor chilli oil (or chicken -flavored chill oil) Yes, they manufacture many (too many if you ask me) of differently flavored chilli oils. The one that i use is just labelled as 油辣椒 (chilli oil). I had previously also used 辣脆油辣椒 fragrant spicy(hot) crispy chilli oil.

i have not used the chicken-flavor chilli oil, and i doubt if there is any real chicken in it - much like if there is fish in a recipe for flsh-flavored aubergines. Isnt there a label on the bottle that lists all the ingredients in English? In EU we have additional labels stuck to the bottle that lists all the ingredients in about 5 or 6 languages.

and lao gan ma means old god mother.

It's dangerous to eat, it's more dangerous to live.

First apologies. My translation is a bit off. Omit the work "sauce" at the end. I was in a bit of a rush to get to work.

The company themselves translate it as "Flavoured chicken chillli" and list the ingredients as chicken, chilli, vegetable oil, gourmet powder (MSG), salt、sugar、sesame oil 、prickly ash (Sichuan Peppercorns). The italics are my additions.

Yes, They have a website in English here.

Can you tell us where and how this might be used?

As has been said, as a dipping sauce or to perk up s stir fry. It's used fairly indiscriminately. I never use any of the Lao Gan Ma products. They are slapped onto nearly everything, much like tomato ketchup in the west. I would be happy never to see or smell or taste them again! Sorry.

Thank you so very much. Anna

My 2004 eG Blog

BTW, Anna_N (and jameswilliam), the characters in white at the top of the bottle label 中(or, if in Traditional Chinese: 中國) basically says "China famous (or renowned) trademark".

Lao Gan Ma (老干妈) is the brand name. They do have different products, all using "old god mom"'s picture in the label.

Personally I think their chili staff is a bit overly MSG-ish. Taste good but I don't use too much in one setting. Typically as a condiment/add-on when eating soup noodles and such. You can certainly use it for cooking if you like.

This jar - the label said "chicken oil" chili. Supposedly they used chicken fat. I think they do, but not entirely 100% chicken fat. Probably some. I don't think they would add chicken meat in it though.

I don't think they would add chicken meat in it though.

Seems unlikely but it is there in the ingredients list in the domestic version .

Is it listed on export versions in places with stricter rules/ controls?

Usually there is an ingredient list in English on these sauces but it's lacking on this jar.

My 2004 eG Blog

Is there an ingredient list in Chinese? Or any other language?

image.jpg

Would this be it?

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes. The rightmost two columns (top two in your picture) contain the ingredients. Same as the domestic version.

It includes 鸡肉 (带骨) which means chicken meat (on the bone).

post-6903-0-33070900-1382019016.jpg

Looks like the translation sticker fell off. I would have thought it was a legal necessity.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• Similar Content

• By Fast996
      I have looked for years for a black steel wok with a flat bottom it had to be thick steel to stop it from warping on the induction cooktop 3500W Burner. Well I found it made by the French company Mauviel it is 12.5" diameterwith 3mm thick steel the flat bottom is 4 1/2 inches, although it has a flat inside too it cooks wonderfully. The weight is 5lbs heavy but manageable .The cost is $100 considering there is no alternative it's cheap.Here is my review. I know there are people looking for a good wok for induction so I hope some find this post good information.I do have a JWright cast iron wok that I've used for 5 years and it too is great but it's discontinued. This M Steel Wok is much better. Posted some images of the seasoned wok so you can see it . This is after oven season @500 Degrees.Turning black already non stick .Happy !

Mauviel M'Steel Black Steel Wok, 11.8", Steel

If you have any ?? please post i'll do my best to answer.

• By liuzhou
      I've recently become aware of the existence of this chain of Xi'an restaurants in NewYork. Are there more elsewhere?

They were recenty referenced in a BBC article about biang biang noodles.

• By liuzhou
      Following my posting a supermarket bought roast rabbit in the Dinner topic, @Anna N expressed her surprise at my local supermarkets selling such things just like in the west supermarkets sell rotisserie chickens. I promised to photograph the pre-cooked food round these parts.

I can't identify them all, so have fun guessing!

Rabbit

Chicken x 2

Duck

Chicken feet

Duck Feet

Pig's Ear

Pork Intestine Rolls

Stewed River Snails

Stewed Duck Feet (often served with the snails above)

Beef

Pork

Beijing  Duck gets its own counter.

More pre-cooked food to come. Apologies for some bady lit images - I guess the designers didn't figure on nosy foreigners inspecting the goods and disseminating pictures worldwide.
    • By liuzhou
      While there have been other Chinese vegetable topics in the past, few of them were illustrated And some which were have lost those images in various "upgrades".

What I plan to do is photograph every vegetable I see and say what it is, if I know. However, this is a formidable task so it'll take time. The problem is that so many vegetables go under many different Chinese names and English names adopted from one or other Chinese language, too. For example, I know four different words for 'potato' and know there are more. And there are multiple regional preference in nomenclature. Most of what you will see will be vegetables from supermarkets, where I can see the Chinese labelling. In "farmer's" or wet markets, there is no labelling and although, If I ask, different traders will have different names for the same vegetable. Many a time I've been supplied a name, but been unable to find any reference to it from Mr Google or his Chinese counterparts. Or if I find the Chinese, can't find an accepted translation so have to translate literally.

Also, there is the problem that most of the names which are used in the English speaking countries have, for historical reasons, been adopted from Cantonese, whereas 90% of Chinese speak Mandarin (普通话 pǔ tōng huà). But I will do my best to supply as many alternative names as I can find. I shall also attempt to give Chinese names in simplified Chinese characters as used throughout mainland China and then in  traditional Chinese characters,  now mainly only used in Hong Kong, Taiwan and among much of the Chinese diaspora. If I only give one version, that means they are the same in Simp and Trad.

I'll try to do at least one a day. Until I collapse under the weight of vegetation.

Please, if you know any other names for any of these, chip in. Also, please point out any errors of mine.

I'll start with bok choy/choy. This is and alternatives such as  pak choi or pok choi are Anglicised attempts at the Cantonese pronunciation of the Mandarin! However in Cantonese it is more often 紹菜; Jyutping: siu6 coi3. In Chinese it is 白菜. Mandarin Pinyin 'bái cài'. This literally means 'white vegetable' but really just means 'cabbage' and of course there are many forms of cabbage. Merely asking for bái cài in many a Chinese store or restaurant will be met with blank stares and requests to clarify. From here on I'm just going to translate 白菜 as 'cabbage'.

So, here we go.

Brassica rapa subsp. pekinensis

This is what you may be served if you just ask for baicai. Or maybe not. In much of China it is 大白菜 dà bái cài meaning 'big cabbage'. In English, usually known as Napa cabbage, Chinese cabbage, celery cabbage, Chinese leaf, etc.  In Chinese, alternative names include 结球白菜 / 結球白菜 ( jié qiú bái cài ), literally knotted ball cabbage, but there are many more. 

This cabbage is also frequently pickled and becomes  known as 酸菜 (Mand: suān cài; Cant: syun1 coi3) meaning 'sour vegetable', although this term is also used to refer to pickled mustard greens.

Pickled cabbage.

In 2016, a purple variety of napa cabbage was bred in Korea and that has been introduced to China as 紫罗兰白菜 (zǐ luó lán bái cài) - literally 'violet cabbage'.

Purple Napa (Boy Choy)

• By liuzhou
      Yesterday, an old friend sent me a picture of her family dinner, which she prepared. She was never much of a cook, so I was a bit surprised. It's the first I've seen her cook in 25 years. Here is the spread.

I immediately zoomed in on one dish - the okra.

For the first 20-odd years I lived in China, I never saw okra - no one knew what it was. I managed to find its Chinese name ( 秋葵 - qiū kuí) in a scientific dictionary, but that didn't help. I just got the same blank looks.

Then about 3 years ago, it started to creep into a few supermarkets. At first, they stocked the biggest pods they could find - stringy and inedible - but they worked it out eventually. Now okra is everywhere.

I cook okra often, but have never seen it served in China before (had it down the road in Vietnam, though) and there are zero recipes in any of my Chinese language cookbooks. So, I did the sensible thing and asked my friend how she prepared it. Here is her method.

1. First bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the washed okra and boil for two minutes. Drain.

2. Top and tail the pods. Her technique for that is interesting.

3. Finely mince garlic, ginger, red chilli and green onion in equal quantities. Heat oil and pour over the prepared garlic mix. Add a little soy sauce.

4. Place garlic mix over the okra and serve.

When I heard step one, I thought she was merely blanching the vegetable, but she assures me that is all the cooking it gets or needs, but she did say she doesn't like it too soft.

Also, I should have mentioned that she is from Hunan province so the red chilli is inevitable.

Anyway, I plan to make this tomorrow. I'm not convinced, but we'll see.

to be continued