• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Where to go Next"

cigalechanta

http://www.foodandwinhttp://www.foodandwin...o-go-next-paris

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

Food and Wine has said this month that events worth noting in Paris include:

Fogón, a modern Spanish restaurant, 45 Quai des Grands-Augustins 6th.

Restaurant Dominique Bouchet, 111 Rue Treilhard 8th.

Senderens. Good but the weak spot was the service.

Pierre Gagnaire's new small seafood place at 44 Rue du Bac, 7th.

Alain Ducasse has bought Benoit. They call the $45 prix fixe lunch

"a stunning bargain."

e.com/articles/where-to-go-next-paris

Edited by John Talbott (log)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

As usual, they're months behind..

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Necessarily so, because copy closing dates for magazines like F&W are...months ahead. I imagine they've finished commissioning most of the features for 2006. So Gourmet etc. are not the place to go for food "news" - which is why anyone who's consulting this board is doing the right thing. Unfortunately I haven't been to any of those, aside from Benoit, and that was a long, long while ago. It was great.

Edited by magnolia (log)

Necessarily so, because copy closing dates for magazines like F&W are...months ahead. I imagine they've finished commissioning most of the features for 2006.

Thanks Magnolia, I think it's difficult for those who live in Paris, New York or LA and read the dailies and listen to radio reviews and pick up culinary gossip to understand why monthlies and yearlies are so "out-of-date." Anyone who has written for non-dailies (disclosure: I have) knows things are out of date the moment you press SEND. I am as intolerant as anyone of last week's news, but let's cut the monthlies a bit of slack.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

PS. Fresh_a decined to promote himself, possibly out of modesty, when he could have pointed you to his own published opinion on Bouchet (and others) from the Easyjet magazine. I take the liberty of excerpting it herewith:

Dominique Bouchet

11 rue Treilhard, Tel. +33 (0)1 45 61 0946 www.dominique-bouchet.com

The former two-star chef at the Hotel Crillon’s Les Ambassadeurs, Monsieur Bouchet left the Michelin star rat-race to be the master of his own gastronomic destiny, and after a short sojourn in Japan (a country he knows almost as well as his native France), returned to open a fantastic little establishment in a quiet side street at the limit of Paris’ eighth arrondissement. Neither bistro (because of the very high quality cuisine) nor formal restaurant (because of its relaxed, simple atmosphere, and concept), he’s created a place unlike any other in the city. Look forward to his new boutique/salon/cooking school concept opening up early next year just next door. Approximately ¤50-¤70 per person, excluding wine.

Those comments are so true. A current example , a favorite restaurant I like in the Camargue is La Chassangnette. The new issue of Saveur is their 100 best things. La Chassangnette was one with two photos of the chef and a glimpse of the inside dining area. A friend in Provence emailed me last week to say the chf had left because they are turning it into a bistro. I'd like to know more if any of you have read an update.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

Thanks magnolia **blushing** , but my writing is far inferior to so many others on this board and elsewhere.....

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 4 weeks later...

The're closed, the chef no longer with them. Maybe reopeming in June as a bistro. This months Saveur, ironically, named the restaurant the number one in this month's yearly issue of 100 best things.