• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuke / Yook Hwe

I've had this as part of a bimbimpap with a spicy dressing, but not served just as raw beef.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It can be had in the form of yuke bibimbap, or yuke ishiyaki (sorry, the Japanese word for the heated stone bowls?) bibimbap.

While these are good, the meat gets prettty much cooked and you lose the flavor that is yuke.

Look for the real stuff usually served as an appetizer.

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

The kind I had was totally uncooked... just had cooked (but cooled) rice in it. The veggies and the beef were raw.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I've had this, served alongside dotanabe bibimbap (with manduk etc etc). It's quite good.

Not my favourite way of having beef though.

Currently that's a thick strip steak, sliced, tossed with shoyu and chile oil, minced garlic and ginger, kosher salt, black and white pepper. Then briefly seared on a tabletop grill and popped into the mouth screeching hot but raw inside. With rice, several kinds of kimchee and shrimp and mushrooms and scallions for the grill. Simple, but I've had it about four times over the last eight days.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Suzanne, yes, it's great. A lot chewier than tartare but similar enough that the completely different seasoning is very interesting.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Suzanne, yes, it's great. A lot chewier than tartare but similar enough that the completely different seasoning is very interesting.

One common problem with restaurant Yukhue, other than chewiness, is that they freeze the beef to slice it, resulting in a vrey cold to frozen dish.

Also of note, Sakagura used to serve a 'Maguro Yukhue', substituting tuna for beef and quail egg for chicken's.

M

One common problem with restaurant Yukhue, other than chewiness, is that they freeze the beef to slice it, resulting in a vrey cold to frozen dish.

I know.

Like most things, I wouldn't trust someone else to prepare it these days. Unless I am in the kitchen with them, learning a technique I don't know. I'm too old for restaurants. Even the most amazing dish would be useless to me unless I saw it being done so I could do it.

Linen and service doesn't impress or interest me.

I can't imagine how I would be about someone bringing me a platter of raw beef sliced when frozen. It begins with storming into the kitchen and gets worse from there...

a thick strip steak, sliced, tossed with shoyu and chile oil, minced garlic and ginger, kosher salt, black and white pepper. Then briefly seared on a tabletop grill and popped into the mouth screeching hot but raw inside. With rice, several kinds of kimchee and shrimp and mushrooms and scallions for the grill.

- Fuuddhist Psalm

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

If you aren't happy with the yuke you have eaten keep looking, when you find it you will know! :biggrin:

I have eaten it in about 20 plus restaurants and by far the best one is served at a higher end yakiniku (Korean BBQ) near my house.

It should never be very cold or frozen when served, and the best is definitely made with wagyu (Japanese beef).

If you are ever in the Yokohama area just let me know.............................

Yum: raw beef and eggs!

is that quail? reminds me of something my friend gita said:

if you're ever having a bad day, have breakfast and start over.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Yum:        raw beef and eggs!

is that quail? reminds me of something my friend gita said:

if you're ever having a bad day, have breakfast and start over.

in the sushi, yes that is a quail egg.

perhaps you could suggest where you'd trust Yuke in ny?

Edited by lissome (log)

-Beaumarchais

Took a friend to dinner last night, to a place called Kung Suh on 32nd in Manhatta. Ordered Bulgulki, Short ribs and yuke. We agreed: Yuke was by far the best dish, tho the bulgoki was delish. It did come with julienned pear and man was it amazing. Thank you for the recommendation.

-Beaumarchais

Took a friend to dinner last night, to a place called Kung Suh on 32nd in Manhatta. Ordered Bulgulki, Short ribs and yuke. We agreed: Yuke was by far the best dish, tho the bulgoki was delish. It did come with julienned pear and man was it amazing. Thank you for the recommendation.

Fat Guy and I ate their yuke a few days ago. they do a magnificent job.

Wow.  This is hardcore stuff that I'm surprised the average gai-jin eats even I don't touch it (and I'm a native)!  I'll stick to raw fish for now like Hwe do bop - spicer version of Chirashi.

Oh come on!

Yuke is food of the Gods! :biggrin:

Back when I was a food inspector with the US Army, I would jump with excitement every timethe meat truck pulled, running my hands over the insides of the carcasses (part of the job!) was pure joy. I actually left trails of drool around the back room as the meat was being cut up, my friend had to actually drag me out of the room a couple times.

If it wasn't so dangerous nowadays I would probably eat all of my beef raw! :biggrin:

If it wasn't so dangerous nowadays I would probably eat all of my beef raw! :biggrin:

Me too, but also i wonder how dangerous it is,,,

One friend in NY has H. Pylori, or perhaps several friends but one who's awares, and of course bacteria and parasites are ever more common. I wonder though what the risks are and how you'd know if you got bit, if you'd know right away or if it could just remain, insidious and lurking... :hmmm: not that I'd let that stop me...

-Beaumarchais

Torakris, I shudder the thought of your hands massaging the insides of a cow carcasses.  That's enough for my spine to tingle kinda reminds me a midnight screening of "Texas chainsaw massacre".  :wacko:

Let me tell you it is the most incredible feeling! :biggrin:

Have you ever though about how many people's hands touch your meat before it reaches your table :blink: