• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuke / Yook Hwe

• 1 month later...

Not too long ago I had had yuke at a sushi bar and it was made with whale meat, it was incredible! It got me thinking about trying it with other meats as it can be hard (and expensive) to buy beef meant for eating raw. Last night I made it with horse meat!

You would never have known it wasn't beef...

gallery_6134_119_22348.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

It got me thinking about trying it with other meats as it can be hard (and expensive) to buy beef meant for eating raw. Last night I made it with horse meat!

Wow, Kristin, that looks absolutely amazing! I've only had horse a few times (in Italy) and found the meat quite rich and rather sweet. This would seem to go well, I imagine, with the pungent seasonings, the sweetness marrying well with the deeper flavours of the soy and garlic. Do you eat horse often and is it widely available in Japan? Of course it's unobtainable in England. And even in France I think the boucheries chevalines are these days on the decline (though you still see them in cities and small towns alike, with the golden horse head marking them out).

MP

It got me thinking about trying it with other meats as it can be hard (and expensive) to buy beef meant for eating raw. Last night I made it with horse meat!

Wow, Kristin, that looks absolutely amazing! I've only had horse a few times (in Italy) and found the meat quite rich and rather sweet. This would seem to go well, I imagine, with the pungent seasonings, the sweetness marrying well with the deeper flavours of the soy and garlic. Do you eat horse often and is it widely available in Japan? Of course it's unobtainable in England. And even in France I think the boucheries chevalines are these days on the decline (though you still see them in cities and small towns alike, with the golden horse head marking them out).

MP

Yes it was a bit richer and on the sweet side and it really carried the seasonings well.

Horse meat is still eaten quite a bit in Japan , some areas more than others, most supermarkets in my area will carry a couple small blocks of it.

Kristin,

Your dish looks amazing!!!  I have never eaten horse but I am very curious now. How was it BTW?

Soup

Really good!

I will definitely do it again. Horse meat is usually just eaten as sashimi here and it is nice but this is so much better. :biggrin: