• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Schwarz und Weiss Natural Rind Blue

Gifted Gourmet

article SFGate

The plant made its first cheese in October 2003 and, nine months later, took top honors for cow's milk blue at the American Cheese Society competition. These tradition-bound farmers use no electricity and thus have no milking machines or modern refrigeration... Schwarz und Weiss Natural Rind Blue is made from pasteurized Jersey and Holstein milk... suggests the Amish people's commitment to the plain and simple life. In contrast, their cheese is refined and complex, with lingering, milky flavors that make you want another taste.

Has anyone tried this cheese? It sounds quite delicious .. especially with a glass of sherry ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

article SFGate
The plant made its first cheese in October 2003 and, nine months later, took top honors for cow's milk blue at the American Cheese Society competition. These tradition-bound farmers use no electricity and thus have no milking machines or modern refrigeration... Schwarz und Weiss Natural Rind Blue is made from pasteurized Jersey and Holstein milk... suggests the Amish people's commitment to the plain and simple life. In contrast, their cheese is refined and complex, with lingering, milky flavors that make you want another taste.

Has anyone tried this cheese? It sounds quite delicious .. especially with a glass of sherry ...

i've eaten half my body weight of that cheese, and it is very very good.

the cheese was designed by neville mcnaughton, who is something of a diety in cheesemaking circles.

i would also recommend the triple cream blue with the white mold rind.

golden ridge cooperative in cresco iowa is where they make the stuff.

it's all good

I just placed an order for one pound of Schwarz und Weiss Natural Rind Blue through Golden Ridge Cheese Cooperative.

"These tradition-bound farmers use no electricity and thus have no milking machines or modern refrigeration. McNaughton's initial breakthrough was persuading them to build icehouses to keep their evening milk cold. The morning milk goes straight to the dairy."

Pretty cool. :smile:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

How do you flash pastaurise reliably without modern electric powered machinery?

Slow pastaurisation by heating pans of milk will give off tastes

Like this:

The milk is processed by non-Amish workers who are proud to be associated with this group of value- based families.

from the Golden Ridge Cheese Cooperative website.

the amish have electricity in the barns, just not in the house........

they don't own a truck, but can ride in someone else's while talking on a cell phone.......

one big problem they have w/ the cheese is that the farmers keep too much of the cream at the house..........

pretty tough to make a triple cream that way........

the amish have electricity in the barns, just not in the house........

they don't own a truck, but can ride in someone else's while talking on a cell phone.......

one big problem they have w/ the cheese is that the farmers keep too much of the cream at the house..........

pretty tough to make a triple cream that way........

Each Amish community has its own rules. During the past year, an Amish community from Ohio relocated to my town. They do not have electricity in their barns or homes. However, they will use kerosine to operate equipment as well as their summer cook stoves (in the winter they use wood cook stoves) and they use electricity in facilities owned by others. They deliver milk each day to a centralized facility that they constructed (basically a small pole barn with metal siding and roof), but the electricity and refrigerated tank are owned by a dairy processor. A tanker truck picks up the milk on a regular schedule.

The Amish also have their own ice houses and cut their own blocks of ice from ponds on their property. This summer I sold lots of ice to the Amish because they had not yet lived here through the winter and didn't have their own supply on hand. It has been fascinating to get to know them and learn about their ways. Oh, and yes, they do use cell phones ... as long as they don't own them. :smile:

Ilene

I just ordered some of this cheese from iGourmet. Will report back on my impressions.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz