• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you halve a candy recipe?

duckduck

So when you're doing one of these many wonderful candy recipes I've seen recently like caramel, nougat, marshmallows, etc., can you successfully cut these in half or does that mess with your sugar mixtures and would it affect it badly bringing to temp too fast or something? Can you just cut everything in half? Are smaller batches possbile?

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Many candy recipes can be halved with no problem. Be sure to adjust the size of your pan accordingly. I tried to make a tiny batch of toffee once and had a terrible time but usually I've no trouble.

So when you're doing one of these many wonderful candy recipes I've seen recently like caramel, nougat, marshmallows, etc., can you successfully cut these in half or does that mess with your sugar mixtures and would it affect it badly bringing to temp too fast or something? Can you just cut everything in half? Are smaller batches possbile?

I've just whipped up a half batch of nightscotchmans now legendary marshmallows with no problems - a full batch is a bit too big for my mixer and my appetite...

have Fun!

/Mette

I was thinking of playing with those! And I think a half batch would be more than enough for playing with a new flavor like tarragon or something. :raz:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Most candy recipes will get unreliable at small batch sizes, with temperature dependant candies being the worst offenders. This can be an "attractive feature" of homemade candy, or it can be frustrating. My dad worked for years in candymaking, and he tends to consider a batch suitable for a 6 qt Kitchenaid mixer to be the smallest it's sane to attempt.

Emily