• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Herbal Soups...

Ducky

This may be a bit obscure, but when we lived in Asia we would often seek out Chinese herbal health soup shops, and I am now looking for something similar in the lower mainland.

Typically these are small shops that serve only soups (usually clear broths) that contain herbs having various medicinal properties. The soups are usually baked in small serving-sized clay pots in a large oven for longer periods of time.

Typically the menu will contain a list of the soups served - and the ailments for which they are intended.

Do any of you know of such a shop in the lower mainland? Any leads would be appreciated.

For a twist on herbal soups try the "Many Wonton Soup" at Wild Rice it is loaded with gingseng and ginger. A great reviver after a wine tasting or night of indulgence.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I don't think this is what Ducky is looking for, but in a similar vein to Stephen's post, I noticed a new place in Kerrisdale right beside the Fish Cafe called "Cco Cco Chicken". Don't ask me what the name means, or even how to pronounce it. But stencilled right on the window they advertise "ginseng chicken soup".

Ducky I assume you're looking for the stuff that kind of looks like an 8-treasure soup, but with even more herbs and fungal-looking things.

I was going to suggest that same place at Parker Place, but I thought it closed down... I'm not sure though - if it's still there, you can enter through the Hazelbridge (? I alllllways mix up Hazelbridge & Alderbridge) entrance. It's right near the entrance, on the right hand side. There's another place at the Yaohan food court, near the bubble tea place. Not sure if they sell herbal soups though - I know for sure that they sell "gwai ling go" (turtle something jelly? I have no idea what it's made from - a search on Google shows that it's made from turtle shells & herbs), which you can get hot or cold. It reminds me of grass jelly, which I don't like.

The "herbal health soups" we know from Asia are almost all clear broths with just one or two solid ingredients such as chicken, mushrooms or herbs etc.

The places that sell these soups usually specialize in them - and these shops are a cross between a restaurant and a pharmacy. The menu will identify the medicinal property of each soup - and in each case the soups are baked in individual clay pots with a lid sealed with wet paper.

There are lots of these shops around in the Chinese communities in Asia and we had hoped to find at least one such shop in the lower mainland given the size of the local Chinese community.

We are hoping to try the Korean place mentioned upthread tomorrow.

Much appreciate any further leads.

has anyone ever heard of "bak ku teh"?? it's a chinese malaysian pork tea herbal soup.

it's quite popular in the homeland, but i've never seen it here.

just wondering if any of you have seen it on a menu somewhere around town.

Quentina

We are hoping to try the Korean place mentioned upthread tomorrow.

Just want to clarify before you head over. It is a "regular" Korean restaurant that offers a multi-course set meal. Frequently the soups they offer on that multi-course meal are Korean herbal soups. I imagine you can order them by themselves as well.

One thing if you do have the full multi-course "royal cuisine" meal that they offer....They include one course as either sushi or sashimi. Trade that out for another Korean dish. Their sushi is nothing special. They will usually let you trade that off for something else.

I believe you can also order a la carte there, and perhaps just the soups. But I've never tried to.

Cheers!

has anyone ever heard of "bak ku teh"??  it's a chinese malaysian pork tea herbal soup. 

Many fond memories of bak kut teh.

There are two distinct version as I recall: one very plain (just pork bones essentially) and the other - the Nonya version - highly aromatic with star anise, cinnamon, cloves and a host of other spices.

I haven't found a source in Vancouver - but please let me know if you do.

Have you tried asking at the shops in Chinatown or Richmond? They're the ones selling dried roots, bark, bugs, etc.

They usually have it all out on display in the front of their stores and you cannot miss the scent of dried shrimps and dried oysters.

They sometimes have an in-house "doctor" to offer curatives and mix dried ingredients for your broth/tea.

I know my mom buys ingredients from these stores for her herbal soups. Her soups generally has chicken broth, tiny red dates, dried lily flowers, something that looks like tongue depressors (bark?), echinacea, etc.

has anyone ever heard of "bak ku teh"??  it's a chinese malaysian pork tea herbal soup. 

There are two distinct version as I recall: one very plain (just pork bones essentially) and the other - the Nonya version - highly aromatic with star anise, cinnamon, cloves and a host of other spices.

Cafe D'Lite serves a version of the "Pork Rib Herbal Tea" in a claypot. Haven't tried it myself though.

the one i remember from my childhood is the nonya version. very aromatic, very savoury and very rich. an unforgettable blend of flavours.

i'm not familiar with the plain one. maybe my family called it something else, which is highly possible!

Quentina

I found a source for you! In the Landsdowne mall in Richmond there is a discount chinese mini grocery store across the way from the herbal shop. In that mini grocery store (I think it is called Save something or Super Save or something like that) they have prepacked Chinese herbal soups with all the necessary ingredients. The packages have anywhere from 5 to 10 different dried herbs and flowers and come with instructions in both English and Chinese that describe the health benefits of each package. I hope some of the ones you are looking for are there. They also have a ton of the additional things you would normally find in those soups to add as extras.

Cheers!

I don't know if it's still open, but there's a herbal tea store in Parker Place right near the entrance (NOT the No. 3 road one, the other entrance) that might have what you're looking for.

I would also second the recommendation of inquiring in one of those Chinese herbal stores. I know the one in the mini mall across from Lansdowne (same complex as Thai House) brews those medicinal concoctions for you if you don't want to do it at home.