• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ham Stock?

Basilgirl

We made a huge batch of ham stock last night from a yummy Charles Henry Gray Smithfield country ham. Can I substitute it for chicken stock in soup recipes? I'm thinking lentil or bean soup would be really good...

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Sounds wonderful....I love using smoked ham shanks for soup, too.

Go to the regional forum for Italy and see the very brief thread on Italian soups where I refer to an inspirational cookbook that I checked out of the public library.

There are lots of Italian recipes that would be great with pork-based stock, especially this time of year with beans, as you mention, lots of vegetables (onions, carrots and celery sauteed with diced pancetta in olive oil, for example, then shredded Savoy cabbage, chard or kale) and grains, whether farro if you can get it, or barley.

Judy Rodgers also has a recipe for a stock which she makes with a pig's head at her restaurant (Zuni Cafe), though she recommends its use for deglazing pans when you make pork chops, etc.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

In past years, I have been gifted with the fancy schmancy spiral sliced hams. (Most are quite good, actually.) Other than the ubiquitous, but good, Ham Bone Bean Soup, I have made stock with the leavings. It is great for cooking cabbage and other greens, green beans, whatever. You do have to be aware of the salt level and adjust your recipe accordngly.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Along the lines of what Pontormo posted the first thing that came to mind was that it would probably work quite well in an escarole/white bean soup.

The second thing that came to mind (for the Arrested Development fans out there): "Mmm, watery....with a smack of ham." OK, OK- it really was the first thing that came to mind, but I just can't resist using the phrase 'smack of ham' lately.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."